• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Puerto Rico Recommendations

deaconson

Exhausted
Reaction score
My wife and I are considering options for a 10th anniversary trip this fall. She currently likes the idea of Puerto Rico. Any advice? Recommendations? Other Thoughts on PR in general?

Thanks in advance!

PR is where RDToy and I got married. We LOVE PR.

Not sure how long you're planning on staying, and what you're most interested in (seclusion versus city, for instance.)

We always stay at La Concha in San Juan. They always treat us like royalty. That is actually where we got married too. Stay in the suite tower if you can, and if you go there. It's further away from the lobby, which becomes a nightclub on the weekends.

La Concha is in the high end shopping strip area of San Juan, and only a short cab ride to Old San Juan.

What are you guys looking to do? Rain forest? Snorkeling? Multiple Bacardi factory tours?

with two kids under 5 we are probably limited to under 7 days but just how long depends on a number of factors. Open to most anything in terms of activities. don't want to spend every day at the beach so a variety of different options would be ideal. being able to see the city, dine out, nature, seclusion would certainly be nice if there is a relatively central location.

How is PR in terms of bang for the buck?

Definitely go to PR. El Yunque National Forest is a must. The largest sting ray I've ever seen (I swear 15' in diameter) swam a few dozen feet below us on a snorkeling trip of Vieques Island.

The St. Regis Bahia Beach is awesome. We weren't too impressed with the Ritz in San Juan, which felt pretty generic and crowded. El Yunque is worth checking out.

PR is pretty good bang for the buck. Easy flight from most anywhere on the east coast. Easy to find cheap to moderate dining and drinks, or expensive for that one or two nights out when you really want to go crazy.

Oddly enough, I've heard from multiple people now to avoid the Ritz in San Juan. Again, I highly recommend La Concha, but there are lots of options around San Juan. San Juan also puts you in a pretty good "home base" for exploring Old San Juan, hanging out on the beach, going to the rain forest, etc.

la perla has some nice spots

That's where Carmelo's court is:

93329882.jpg

I got some great pictures of La Perla from the fort and from the cemetary. Close as I was willing to get.

stayed a few nights at La Concha and had a great time

El Conquistador is also great, about an hour from San Juan in Fajardo. Closer to El Yunque and a bunch of side excursion stuff you can do through hotel (kayak tour, catamaran trip, etc.)

How does PR compare with other Caribbean destinations as far as culture/beauty/safeness, etc? Seems a lot easier to get to than most/no passport, etc

it's worth driving across the island to ponce

We stayed in a hotel called El Convento in old San Juan. It was very nice and not too pricey at the time - old school 3 story hotel that surrounds an open courtyard. Cool place in a great location.

There have been several PR threads over the last couple of years. You might want to search for those for more info.

I'm a big PR fan. Love almost everything about the place. You need to plan carefully with such young kids, though. PR has plenty of crime and once you get away from the big cities it's very rural with few English speakers. But if you take basic precautions you'll be fine.

We stayed in a hotel called El Convento in old San Juan. It was very nice and not too pricey at the time - old school 3 story hotel that surrounds an open courtyard. Cool place in a great location.

loved El Convento for drinks.

Never stayed there but El Convento is very cool - worth a visit.

There have been several PR threads over the last couple of years. You might want to search for those for more info.

I'm a big PR fan. Love almost everything about the place. You need to plan carefully with such young kids, though. PR has plenty of crime and once you get away from the big cities it's very rural with few English speakers. But if you take basic precautions you'll be fine.

did a quick search yesterday (admittedly while working) and did not see anything. it will just be the wife and i. no kids this time around.

Back