• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Seattle travel recommendations

bigdoublezero

Reaction score
I'm tagging along on one of my fiancee's business trips to Seattle in June. We're staying at a nice hotel on the waterfront on company dime Tue-Thur. night, but we need to find a hotel on our own for Friday and Saturday night. We know nothing about the area, but we're wondering if it's best to stick around that Belltown/Downtown area for the weekend or maybe relocate to another spot. We'll have a car.

Also, any general recs on food, things to see and do, etc., would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
See you there. I'll be at the US soccer match on the 11th. There's a thread a few pages back with Seattle recs on it, would bump but I'm on my phone.

go to a Tom Douglass restaurant. I went to Lola for their happy hour, insanely good. Think i stayed at the Red Lion, right above the Elephant and Castle bar, very nice hotel in a good location.

See you there. I'll be at the US soccer match on the 11th. There's a thread a few pages back with Seattle recs on it, would bump but I'm on my phone.

maybe it's a different thread, but all I could find was a post by lbE saying "eat, go to the market and maybe go kayaking"

Is there any other Seattle advice out there?

Boeing tour plant is good. Chihuly musuem is very cool. They now have a London Eye type thing, havent done it but looks cool. I remember once when I was in Seattle like 20 years ago i did some underground tour thing, i remember it being cool but it may not have been. Visit the troll underneath the bridge for a good photo op.

BUMP

headed to Seattle for work in a couple weeks, so I tacked on the weekend ahead. Will be in Seattle from the Sat 24th- Tues 27th (fiance taking red eye back to SF Mon morning). Staying downtown at the Westin. Planning on hitting up an M's game (hopefully Monday with a friend there if work allows him or else Sat/Sun). probs do some of the typical touristy stuff (Space Needle, Pike Place, Maybe EMP museum), but looking for dining/drinking recs or other geenral cool stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Go to a Sounders match because soccer is awesome. Don't go to a Mariners game because baseball is for DONKS.

unless it's a clear day, space needle isn't worth it.

Really enjoyed our week in Seattle this spring. We were fortunate to have awesome weather. I think you'll find it has a lot of similarities to SF. It's like SF-lite.

Best part about Seattle was the quality of the food -- and SO much cheaper than SF. You can eat in some of the best restaurants in town and then laugh at your bill at the end of the night.

If you can swing it, check out Zig Zag Cafe for happy hour. An absurdly great cocktail bar. Meant to stop in for a drink and ended up staying nearly all night. Great value.

Another great spot was Revel. Great food. Cool vibe. See if you can sit at the counter in front of the open kitchen. The sister restaurant to Revel is Joule, which is also supposedly really good.

Walrus & the Carpenter and Staple & Fancy were good spots in Ballard. Ballard in general was pretty neat. The locks were cool to see. Bakery Nouveau was kind of out of the way, but good pastries. Paseo for great cubans. Oyster Happy Hour at Elliots struck me as slightly overrated but probably worth a trip anyhow. Maybe before the M's game?

I'd check out the Eater heatmap and the James Beard website and go with those for recs. We ate really, really well while in Seattle. Can't recommend it enough.

Did a daytrip up to Mt. Rainier. That was fun. Apparently people do the ferry daytrip stuff; I'd look into that, too. We'd have done it if we had an extra weekend day.

yeah, i'm defs going to have to make another trip up there. a friend said the capitol hill area has a bunch of good food/beer bars, so i'll probs hit that up as well. thanks for the recs.

I was just Seattle a couple weeks ago for work. Stayed at the Courtyard in Pioneer Square. Such a fun city.

Back