• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Soundbars vs surround sound systems

towelie99

Reaction score
so getting ready to move and my new place doesnt have an easy setup for the surroud sound theater

anyone have experience with a good soundbar, worth it?

If you're getting a soundbar, the best option is one with a separate sub and "wireless" rear speakers (they plug into the sub, which is wireless). The actual soundbar can do very good things but it's still at most three speakers (or occasionally more) so having a sub and satellite speakers is a good thing (plus the satellites are pretty small). For just a dedicated soundbar for your television I really like each of the Vizios in 923's post. 4221 for the soundbar plus sub or 4251 for the soundbar plus sub and two semi-wireless speakers

If you are into multi-room music and streaming, I'd explore a Sonos soundbar. I have one and I love it but I have multiple Sonos speakers in different rooms so it's part of a larger system. The soundbar is really good but it's about 2 times the average soundbar price without being 2x as good on its own.

Last edited:
I've got a LG soundbar and love it. Its just the single bar and subwoofer, but the angle and size of the speakers does a great job simulating sound. You dont have the true sound coming from behind you, but when something happens off screen to the left or right, its made me turn my head a few times thinking it was happening in the room with me.

I enjoy my Vizio with the semi-wireless rears. Nowhere near a true surround sound system, but works really well in the space we have.

Thinking of getting a soundbar system and looking at these two Samsungs at BJs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/HW-H450/ZA
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/HW-F355/ZA

Any experience with either of these? Is it worth it to spend the extra $100 for the top one?

The wired vs wireless configuration is not a big concern with where I'd put it in my house, but the wireless gives more options if I don't like it right next to the TV. Same with the lack of HDMI inputs on the cheaper one - I don't have any free HDMI plugs on my current TV so I figure I'd be buying an optical cable to use for either setup. So I think it's basically about acoustics - would I be sacrificing too much if I get the cheaper one?

I'd like to get one of the Vizios with wireless surround speakers as mentioned above but the bar is too tall and will block some of the screen.

Last edited:
If a soundbar doesn't fit, then can I get two solid speakers that use the optical audio out? And maybe a wireless sub? No receiver, no "soundbar"? I guess I am wondering if there a system that has some sort of bridge but doesn't require the soundbar?

If a soundbar doesn't fit, then can I get two solid speakers that use the optical audio out? And maybe a wireless sub? No receiver, no "soundbar"? I guess I am wondering if there a system that has some sort of bridge but doesn't require the soundbar?
Without a receiver(amp), you would need individual active speakers or an active subwoofer with passive satellites, with only an RCA or aux input - basically you need a typical 2.1 computer speaker setup. Here is a great klipsh 2.1 system

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...165_QL70&qid=1410503272&sr=8-4#ref=mp_s_a_1_4

I haven't researched the wireless options yet.

I use that Klipsch system with my computer. As I was reading this thread, I was wondering how it would do with a TV. It has manual controls and no remote. With a computer, you can control the volume to some extent through the input.

Coincidently, I purchased a new TV for our sunroom last week. I use a soundbar and a Harmony 650 remote in that room. While setting up the remote to control the TV & soundbar, I believe Myharmony asked me if I wanted to control the volume with the TV or the soundbar (one of the soundbar wires plugs into the TV's RCA headphone jack). If so, you should be able to manually set the Klipsch volume and use the remote to control the volume going to it from the TV.

Between the Klipsch and the soundbar (samsung E350) my option is the Klipsch is superior. Room size might change my opinion.

Last edited:
I use that Klipsch system with my computer. As I was reading this thread, I was wondering how it would do with a TV. It has manual controls and no remote. With a computer, you can control the volume to some extent through the input.

Coincidently, I purchased a new TV for our sunroom last week. I use a soundbar and a Harmony 650 remote in that room. While setting up the remote to control the TV & soundbar, I believe Myharmony asked me if I wanted to control the volume with the TV or the soundbar (one of the soundbar wires plugs into the TV's RCA headphone jack). If so, you should be able to manually set the Klipsch volume and use the remote to control the volume going to it from the TV.

Between the Klipsch and the soundbar (samsung E350) my option is the Klipsch is superior. Room size might change my opinion.
You would still control the volume of the output with the television remote

Back