• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP - St. Patrick's Day in Savannah

WFUtoUSC

Reaction score
Going to Savannah next weekend (March 15) for St. Patrick's Day. Anyone ever gone before? Thoughts on the experience? Places to go, avoid, etc.?

Moon River Brewery, whatever the bar is on top of the Bohemian Hotel, The Planters Tavern (basement of the Olde Pink House), The WOB (World of Beer), The Distillery

This is not helpful, but I went maybe 8-9 years ago and had a blast. The best was "tailgating" in one of the squares during the parade. Have fun!

This is not helpful, but I went maybe 8-9 years ago and had a blast. The best was "tailgating" in one of the squares during the parade. Have fun!

Yes, no open container law in Savannah (except when driving obv.) If you have an adult beverage around downtown, it's OK as long as it's in a plastic cup. If you want to set up a party in one of the squares along the parade route (as Lady was referring to), be prepared to stake your claim EARLY on the morning of the parade. Many folks have their annual spots and basically camp out to get them.

Parking is a bitch, and the taxi situation after the bars close is a complete shitshow. If you're not staying within walking distance, be ready to either spend an hour just finding a cab, or steal a cab from an unfortunate soul who spent an hour just finding a cab

So I should pack a cooler for the day and get downtown pretty early to post up and watch the parade? Sounds easy enough. Demonbeck, I just PMed you with a couple more specific questions.

I enjoyed the book tour that I took. Just walked around downtown the day before that and correctly picked Jim Williams' house. If you enjoy architecture, just walk all around and admire the houses. And the tour we took took us out to the graveyard on the bluff over the river. Prettiest graveyard I've ever seen. BTW, if you haven't yet read Midnight in the Garden, you gotta read it before going there - well written and quite risible.

Yes, no open container law in Savannah (except when driving obv.) If you have an adult beverage around downtown, it's OK as long as it's in a plastic cup. If you want to set up a party in one of the squares along the parade route (as Lady was referring to), be prepared to stake your claim EARLY on the morning of the parade. Many folks have their annual spots and basically camp out to get them.

Yeah, we were staying with friends who had friends with a spot, so we got lucky, but maybe you can make friends when you're there! Open containers FTW!

Parking is a bitch, and the taxi situation after the bars close is a complete shitshow. If you're not staying within walking distance, be ready to either spend an hour just finding a cab, or steal a cab from an unfortunate soul who spent an hour just finding a cab

We were also lucky in this respect cause somehow the night before St Patty's we got this cab that was an old limo (which was awesome on it's own). But the driver also gave us his card and phone number so we were able to call him and have him drive us around on St Patty's. So if you're not walking distance, also maybe try to befriend a cabbie :)

Back