• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Tell me about San Jose, CA

DeaconSoDear

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
I recently found out that I will be working in San Jose for about 6 months (~April - October). Having never been to California, or lived any where other than North Carolina, I am completely unfamiliar with the area. The main office I will be working out of is on S. Market Street, but will spend a good bit of time in other offices around the San Jose/Silicon Valley area.

Any info would be helpful...food, bars, places of interest, things to know, things to avoid, or the like. Would also be interested in finding out places that would be cool for a weekend trip (which I imagine there are a lot of).

Thanks.

Good Asian food. Slim pickings on females. Monterey/Carmel; Santa Cruz; SF; Berkeley; Marin headlands; Sonoma; Napa; Yosemite are all good weekend trips.

The local NHL team is a lot like what Wake used to be in basketball.

Good Asian food. Slim pickings on females. Monterey/Carmel; Santa Cruz; SF; Berkeley; Marin headlands; Sonoma; Napa; Yosemite are all good weekend trips.

Looking forward to the Asian food. I am married, but my wife won't be with me, so not too worried about the females...except maybe a good titty bar.

I work in Palo Alto - and have to been to San Jose a total of 4 times. Two times to the airport, one time to the DMV and one time to Santana Row - thats where all the shopping/restaurants are. They also have a cool TESLA store there with a Model S in there.

Good thing about San Jose is that its so close to San Francisco. April-October is baseball season and the Caltrain that runs from SanJose-SF drops you off right by the ball park.

Let me know if you'd like to grab a beer sometime. What year were you?

I work in Palo Alto - and have to been to San Jose a total of 4 times. Two times to the airport, one time to the DMV and one time to Santana Row - thats where all the shopping/restaurants are. They also have a cool TESLA store there with a Model S in there.

Good thing about San Jose is that its so close to San Francisco. April-October is baseball season and the Caltrain that runs from SanJose-SF drops you off right by the ball park.

Let me know if you'd like to grab a beer sometime. What year were you?

I've never been to an MLB game, so will definitely look forward to that.

Class of 2006. I will be heading out there mid-late April, probably around the 20th; will PM you when I know more details and take you up on the beer.

I only visited San Jose a few times while I was living in Monterey, mainly just to go to the airport. It is awesomely located because San Fran and Monterey/Carmel are close. As are Salinas and Gilroy. Salinas is cool if you are a John Steinbeck fan for a quick day trip (Steinbeck is from Salinas). Gilroy has a decent outlet mall. Obviously, San Fran is the big draw. If you do any personal air travel while there, be sure to prices from flying to/from San Jose and San Fran, it's always a bit of a toss up which will be cheaper. weather-wise San Jose can be a bit hot in the summer since it does not get the bay weather you will experience to the north and south. The aquarium in Monterey is one of the best in the world and well worth the visit and Carmel has a bunch of nice small restaurants. If you're into golf, there's a bunch of great courses in the area, the top being Pebble Beach. If you just want to watch, the Pebble Beach Pro-Am each year is always a big event.

Back