• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: The Virginia Creeper Trail

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I want to ride the trail. Our wives do not. But they want to visit Damascus, Abingdon, etc. Would it make sense for them to drop us off at the Whitetop end and then meet us in Damscus for lunch and a beer or something? They could shop and explore Damascus while waiting - it wouldn't even be that long, it is only 17 miles. Then we could ride on toward Abingdon while they drive and check into wherever we are staying that night. They could shop some more and explore Abingdon and then when we get there we drink some more, maybe catch a show at the Barter Theatre or something, and spend the night?

What other suggestions do folks have?

That sounds good - maybe dinner at the Martha Washington?

for the wives, have them check out the Arts Depot in Abingdon while you bike.

How long does it normally take to do the first 17 Miles? I've never done the creeper before and want to this summer. Just want to plan it and see if we should just do Whitetop to Damascus or do the whole thing to Abingdon. Not really that big of a biker so I don't know how far I could reasonably go at a decent pace.

How long does it normally take to do the first 17 Miles? I've never done the creeper before and want to this summer. Just want to plan it and see if we should just do Whitetop to Damascus or do the whole thing to Abingdon. Not really that big of a biker so I don't know how far I could reasonably go at a decent pace.

Most people (adults) who ride casually are moving about 12-14mph. Slower if with kids.
Given that this is a rail trail and relatively flat/easy grades, I would think 17 miles would be about 1.5hrs - 2hrs max.

It's not a very hard ride - mostly just pleasant. It's all downhill from Whitetop to Damascus for the first 15 miles, then flat the last 2-3. From Damascus to Abingdon, it's pretty much flat. It's a gradual dip, then climb, but only changes about 200 ft in 7 miles.

Most people (adults) who ride casually are moving about 12-14mph. Slower if with kids.
Given that this is a rail trail and relatively flat/easy grades, I would think 17 miles would be about 1.5hrs - 2hrs max.

Then there are the "ON YOUR LEFT" Hardos that do it in 30 minutes.

I have to admit, when I hear it's 17mi and it's relatively downhill... I'm wondering how many minutes over 30 it would take me to do it :)
(but no, I'm not a huge douche like that on a multi-use trail; it's not safe)

you'd run over my kids, who insist on weaving all over the damn trail no matter how many times I tell them that they are being rude af.

exactly; i'd run them over/they'd crash me out.
there's a section of multi-use path that I frequent as a connector piece to longer rides, and I am always amazed by the other cyclists who insist on treating it like a damn speedway. people are way too unpredictable and situationally unaware for that to ever be a good idea.

We did it in just under an hour last fall, and that was stopping for a short lunch break.

You really don't have to pedal until the final few miles, when it's relatively flat.

i lived in abingdon for about four years. Loved the Creeper trail. Biased opinion but there's a lot more going on in abingdon. Damascus is very small. Subway. Couple random stores. Ice cream stand.

In abingdon I highly recommend Jacks 128 Pecan. Right next to the trail head. Great food. Outdoor covered dining and bar. Pretty casual. Hit up wolf Hills brewery. My friends own it. Fun. Good.

Agree with staying at the Martha Washington. The basement has a nice bar area.

Feel free to PM me if there's something specific I can help with. I miss living there. Quaint little town

TandemTurkey01_ST_05.jpg

Back