• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Tucson, AZ

PM please.

Reaction score
My wife and I are expecting our first child in May, and booked our last solo vacation around President's Day to Tucson, AZ. We wanted somewhere that neither of us has been, something with some epic scenery nearby, and something generally sunny and decently warm at that time of the year.

So we're flying from the east coast into Phoenix on Saturday morning and then driving down to Tucson until the following Friday, when we'll drive back up to Phoenix and hopefully catch a Spring Training game before flying back home from Phoenix on Saturday morning.

I've done a decent amount of dayhiking in the desert over the last few years, and find myself generally enamored with all of that scenery and environment. So driving through both districts of Saguaro National Park are on my list, as well as Sky Island Scenic Byway. Might also try to do something at Mt. Lemmon Observatory one night if we make the drive up the scenic byway, but my wife will be just into her third trimester at that point, so I'm guessing any sort of hiking is not in the cards, beyond maybe some short nature trails in the parks or whatever. Ultimately this is supposed to be for relaxation.

What are some things we should do in Tucson? Restaurants we need to hit?

The Pima Air and Space Museum is pretty cool. It's right next to the "airplane boneyard" which is where the Air Force parks all their old planes. It's huge. I think you have to reserve and go through security clearance in order to go on the boneyard tour.

Highly recommend the Sunday brunch at Loews Ventana and Cafe Poca Cosa.

Thunder Canyon Brewery makes some pretty good beers.

The east unit of Saguaro NP has some pretty easy and flat walking trails that might be good for a third trimester pregnancy. Keep an eye out for gila woodpecker, canyon wrens, roadrunners, cactus wrens, phainopeplas and Gambel's quail.
The Desert Museum in the Western unit of the national park is also cool and an easy walk.

Might also check out Madera Canyon about 45 minutes south of the city in Coronado National Forest. Its a different type of habitat than the desert flat lands. Among other things I remember seeing Elegant Trogons there and Acorn Woodpeckers. I think the Ranger station has pretty nice picnic area and might even have a hummingbird feeder, though its a bit out of season for awesome hummingbird migration.

Dragoon is another good brewery. There's a pretty cool beer bar near campus called 1702 that has a bunch of local taps.

Also, if you happen to be on campus in the morning check out Highland Market and get a breakfast burrito.

Back