• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Tuxedos

Henry Chinaski

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Any of you high rollers out there invested in a decent tuxedo? Questions:

- Can you get a decent one at all online from JCrew or Brooks? I'm suspicious, but perhaps someone has had a good experience.
- Has anyone gone to Nordstrom's / Saks for such a thing and tailored something off the rack?
- If you go bespoke, any recommendations (on either the "traveling tailor" approach or a bricks and mortar place - just moved to Raleigh)?

Appreciate the sartorial advice from such a high-cultured group.

I got a JCrew one for my wedding. I was an in-between size, so they ordered it in store from their website, and they had free tailoring once it came in. I like it a lot and get a lot of compliments. The Brooks Bros ones felt like old man tuxes and were bulky. Tailoring could've helped, but the JCrew looked like a much better cut.

I went to many of the dept stores like Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and Macys and didn't like much of what was available. Did try on a good Hugo Boss at Nordstrom, but it was out of my price range.

There's a formalwear outlet in Hillsborough. It's probably not high end enough for your needs, but I thought I'd throw it out there since you're not far away in Raleigh. Got my son through school.

i got one a BB years ago. Got a discount for opening a charge account at the same time. I look great in it.

i got one a BB years ago. Got a discount for opening a charge account at the same time. I look great in it.

bacon-tuxedo-from-archie-mcphee.jpg

Got a new one 2 summers ago. Tried on probably 10-12 different ones from various high-end retail, looked in Macys, Bloomingdales, Saks, Boss, Niemans, Etc, etc.

I found that the styles and fits varied greatly based on what the company was trying to do.

Saks always carries, and offers a really good deal on a one button tux from Armani (under 2K I think).

I ended up with a Zegna two button. Just what fit me best.

Had it fitted at my regular tailor tho, dont trust retail people with something like that.

I'm getting one made for my wedding right now. That is the way to go.

If you can wait about 4-5 weeks, you can get a pretty standard one made-to-measure from IndoChino. I don't have one, but I know other people that do. Their fabrics aren't the greatest and there's not a lot of detailing, but you can go a long way with a modern cut that was made to fit you.

Back