• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Vacuum Advice

We had a rainbow at my parents house growing up. Dysons blow a rainbows balls off.

hmmm maybe, i haven't used a dyson of any model. the thing with rainbow that i like is there is no bag and since it catches the debris in water, very little dust is stirred up as compared to a vaccume that uses bags. also you don't have to pay for the bags. you do have to empty disgusting water though.

The disgusting water was definitely the turnoff, and having to rinse it out. The great thing about the Dyson's are the canister. No bags as well, and its much quicker and cleaner to empty.

dysonDC25vacuumcleanerdustbin.jpg

I have 2 dogs but they do not shed and our Kenmore canister vacuum is shot. Would a regular Dyson (DC40 Origin) be a good call over what else is out there?

I have 2 dogs but they do not shed and our Kenmore canister vacuum is shot. Would a regular Dyson (DC40 Origin) be a good call over what else is out there?

That's exactly what we just got (with one super shedding dog). They're only (only) $299 for cyber Monday through today... That price is basically across the board at retailers.

Check Consumer Reports. They were not real high on Dyson, saying better vacuuming machinery was available for less money. A friend has one, and the plastic dirt collector latch broke shortly after she got it. Cost as almost much to fix as a new one, so she has been "making do" with the broken one. Not doing very well. Lots of dirt leaks out.

Resurrecting this thread (which I actually started and didn't remember). So we got that Dyson Animal less than 2 years ago, and we have actually not been very pleased. I really like the small size, weight, and maneuverability. And it does fine on the hardwood. But it has been far less than ideal on our carpet. I don't know if the problem is the type of carpet or the vacuum, but it simply leaves behind WAY too much hair (immediately after vacuuming if we sit on the floor we're still covered with dog hair).

Again, not sure if it's the Dyson in general, our particular Dyson, the carpet, or our dog's hair is just extra crazy or something.

The Dyson is less than two years old...and I don't think it's broken. So not sure there is anything to "repair" (it does work on wood fine).

Read the AMA with the vacuum repair guy and some other recs, and may try a Hoover?

I don't even care that much about the dog hair, but since we host a nanny share at our house, the nanny mentioned it to us today about the vacuum not working.

Have you changed the filters yet, or washed them regularly? It may be leading to your suction problems.

Have you changed the filters yet, or washed them regularly? It may be leading to your suction problems.

Probably not as often as we should. But even from the very beginning it wasn't great on the carpet. I will do a wash tonight and see if that helps at all.

Everyone needs to stop spending money on inferior vacuum cleaners and just pony up for something that will last a long time - Miele. Best vacuum cleaner ever. Don't fall for the American Dyson hype. Those Germans know how to make things.

I have an almost 10 year old Miele that is fantastic.

Roomba!!! Why do the work? (actually need to empty each day and that takes less than 30 seconds)

We live in a 2 story house and that little bastard does the hole downstairs (except kitchen cause I can hear it drive on the tile floors) while we sleep. Wife works from home and during the day it does the up stairs.

You actually are forced to pick up after yourself more but it has done an amazing job on carpets and hardwood. Does a great job in the kitchen just loud thumps going over the tile grout . We were ready to get new carpets upstair, now they all look new.

Roomba!!! Why do the work? (actually need to empty each day and that takes less than 30 seconds)

We live in a 2 story house and that little bastard does the hole downstairs (except kitchen cause I can hear it drive on the tile floors) while we sleep. Wife works from home and during the day it does the up stairs.

You actually are forced to pick up after yourself more but it has done an amazing job on carpets and hardwood. Does a great job in the kitchen just loud thumps going over the tile grout . We were ready to get new carpets upstair, now they all look new.

How does it know how to work around furniture and in and around built-ins?

Good question, but the damn thing works. We do have two issues. First, we have a light weight lamp between “my chair” and the couch in the middle of the room that plugs in under the sofa, so Roomba can hit the cord and pull the light over. The second, we have a few oriental rugs in our living room and my wife feels Roomba has had a few of those tassel things caught in the roller, but I think if we vacuumed with our old upright more often we would see the same thing.

We had friends over last night and they saw it, and my wife added that we have not used our traditional vacuum since March.

Edit to add that we have two boxers that shed lightly and Roomba leaves the floors hair free.

How does it know how to work around furniture and in and around built-ins?

Last edited:
Faithful,

I bought the model at Costco. I think it is the 365. They add the “5” to 360 or whatever it is on their site, and the 5 is only sold at Costco. it is a lower end model that works with a beater brush. Most of the high end models are all air suction. There are also more programming features to the high ends, but I can’t see how they are useful. I read a bunch of reviews and one was from a lady with two Labs, she said she likes the lower end model more because of the brush sweeping the hair in. Se had the model I own and the highest model. Long hair dogs would obviously have you emptying more., but like I said, ours runs every night while are sleeping so just run it at night and again in the morning.

Which model do you have? I have two large dogs that shed a lot.

Back