• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Where to Camp in Western NC?

leftcoastdeac

Robert O'Kelley
Reaction score
Looking for places in Western North Carolina to go camping and I need your help. Any recs on camp grounds (we'll want to set up a base camp - day hikes/trips only)? Trails?

there's a good campground at julian price park on the blue ridge parkway near blowing rock, and lots of good places to hike around there.

Hot Springs, NC its part of the Appalachian Trail and has tons of other trails splintering off of them. Plus its very close to Max Patch (google if you don't know), which is very awesome.

I went on a short backing trip to Shining Rock Wilderness and loved it. you should be able to find a spot to set a base camp and hike out of several different trails throughout your trip

Don't go to Western NC. Go to Western New York. Camp out in Buffalo's East side urban prairies. It's an adventure!

We've enjoyed the Davidson River Campground in the Pisgah National Forest for several years. It's near Brevard, a nice little mountain town with some interesting shops and a decent place or two to eat.

You can enjoy tubing down the river or swimming or fishing right at the campground. There are good hiking trails that take off right from the campground as well. There are many short and longer hikes to numerous waterfalls in the area. DuPont State Forest is nearby and has many interesting hiking trails, lakes and falls as well.

It's close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and not far from Asheville.

there's a good campground at julian price park on the blue ridge parkway near blowing rock, and lots of good places to hike around there.

Beautiful area. Best section of the Parkway is between Blowing Rock and Linville Falls, IMO.

Great campground and area. I'm hoping to go up there in a few weeks. Good hiking, scenic lake.

I really enjoy Linville Gorge near Boone. Excellent trails that are well maintained. The gorge itself is very beautiful and if you are lucky you get to see white water kayakers (I believe there are at least one class 5+)

Plus its very close to Max Patch (google if you don't know), which is very awesome.

I've definitely put this on the list of places I want to visit one day. What an awesome spot. Seems like a bit of a pain in the ass to get to, but worth the trip.

Davidson River Campground is a great choice....

I also like the campgrounds in Cherokee area, north on Big Cove rd. there are several adjacent to the Occanaluftee River..

Also, you might like to look into the Deep Creek Area near Bryson City or in the Nantahala gorge there are a few along the river.

Another few places along the parkway I enjoy is near Crabtree Meadows or Linville Falls.

never camped there, but it is gorgeous there. Some of my favorite pictures were taking at price lake in the fall at sunset!

Just returned from three days at Table Rock at Linville Gorge in the Pisgah national wilderness area. Would definitely recommend, but the trails are hardly marked (or none at all) and there is no fresh water available. Because it is a wilderness area, you can camp wherever you please, but there are great spots within walking distance of the parking lot to set up base camp.

Intermediate 1.5-2 hour hike down to the river, and we tanned on the rocks and rode down the rapids on our bums all day. Didn't see another living soul until late afternoon on the second day. Definitely recommend. Great scrambling and bouldering spots as well. I don't climb, but the area has some great locales for this, as well.

These are some great suggestions. I like to stay at Bent Creek Campground very close to Asheville:

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/L...ode=NRSO&parkId=70206&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Amazing trails are very closely accessible (because they run right by the campground).

If you want to stay closer to these parts, go to Warrior Creek Campground in the Wilkesboro/Kerr Scott Reservior area. Again great trails, plus a lake!

http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73467

Back