• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATT: Marching Deacs

When I was at Wake '99-'03 we tried to do a dance for one halftime show. It failed miserably. In order to pull it off, you have to get the entire marching band behind it and there were some who had no interest in doing it at all. So we all were dancing and a few of them just standing around.

Itd be great to pull it off though.

looks like that group is all brass? Sound is much bigger when you have 100+brass vs. 100 piece band with a bunch of inaudible woodwinds mixed in;)

if the band could do that it would be sick

Yes, we have way too many woodwinds and xylophones and electric guitars. More tubas and trombones.

The xylophones are mic'd, so they are definitely bringing in a fair amount of noise.

Traditionalist

Yes, we have way too many woodwinds and xylophones and electric guitars. More tubas and trombones.

+1 on too many electric guitars, keyboards, and drum sets. I may be a traditionalist but I hate seeing this stuff in Marching Band. I think the band looks and sounds great and doesn't need as many sideline gimmicks.

While I am bashing the band, can someone explain the "...passion that defies explanation" slogan. When I marched in the mid to late 90's, we had a passion that defied explanation. The games were painful to watch and we were the only students left in the stadium when the game ended. Now the band has a team that is fun to watch and that may get you to a bowl game. Every time I hear that slogan I think it sounds like a knock against the school and the team.

All of that said, I do think the band looks and sounds great and I appreciate all of the work that goes into the shows. Thanks for your time and dedication (even if I think it can be explained). Some of us in the stands are paying attention.

Go Deacs!!

we have it as a pep tune to play in the stands, but i doubt you will ever see it performed on the field.

My favorite of all-time was "Thriller" by the Marching Chiefs. It made several websites when we first did it. Of course it's easy to pull off when you are the largest marching band in the world.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaell6/fsu-marching-chiefs-thriller-k9j

The Marching Chiefs are awesome. We visited Tallahassee when I was marching (95 maybe?). The team got totally slaughtered and we got soaked in a Florida thunderstorm, but the Chiefs were fun to watch for a band geek like me.

That video gave me chills when they hit the big "thrill-er" notes, even through my dinky computer speakers.

The only bad thing about having such a large band is our director has always refused to take "part" of the band which means we get the chiefs at one away game a year plus UF or Miami.

+1 on too many electric guitars, keyboards, and drum sets. I may be a traditionalist but I hate seeing this stuff in Marching Band. I think the band looks and sounds great and doesn't need as many sideline gimmicks.

While I am bashing the band, can someone explain the "...passion that defies explanation" slogan. When I marched in the mid to late 90's, we had a passion that defied explanation. The games were painful to watch and we were the only students left in the stadium when the game ended. Now the band has a team that is fun to watch and that may get you to a bowl game. Every time I hear that slogan I think it sounds like a knock against the school and the team.

All of that said, I do think the band looks and sounds great and I appreciate all of the work that goes into the shows. Thanks for your time and dedication (even if I think it can be explained). Some of us in the stands are paying attention.

Go Deacs!!

I thought the passion refers to playing/creating music.

I thought the passion refers to playing/creating music.

This, plus it takes a ton of commitment/passion that is going to remain regardless of whether or not the team is good (ie practice, missing out on tailgating, etc.).

Man there were like 25+ baton twirlers on the marching cheifs back then...baton twirler U??? hahaha good video and performance though!

Back