• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATTN all med students, residents, and physicians

[Dr.Acula]

Reaction score
I just received an email from my school stating the following:

"Congress and the Obama Administration are discussing a deficit-reduction proposal that would cut federal GME support by up to 60 percent — $60 billion — and jeopardize residency training programs across the country. Congress is expected to finalize its multi-trillion-dollar package of program cuts in the next few days."

Personally, as a medical student who is accumulating massive amounts of debt, this is not ok. Residency positions are already at a premium; medical schools across the nation are continuing to increase their class size, without comparable increases in residency positions. Cutting GME funding could put the future of medical education and physician training in jeopardy.

Please take the time to at least send a pre-formatted electronic letter to your Senators and Representatives. It takes less than 5 minutes to complete and can be found here: http://capwiz.com/aamc/home/

Mods, feel free to move it to the political board if you feel that would be a better place for this.

Why do we still expect our president's to be an asset to this country at this point? If I emailed Obama he'd probably send an auto email back saying he agrees with my points as he is a populist stooge who is blind to his own hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Did that yesterday.

Foxxy said she would write back to me. Kay Hagan said thanks for signing up for her newsletter.

They already took away our Stafford subsidy and the 5k NC grant.

Why in god's name does medicine need government subsidies? They already charge you your life savings for 4 hours of work.

Neg rep away. The medical system is broken, there is more than enough money for the entire thing to pay for itself.

Why in god's name does medicine need government subsidies? They already charge you your life savings for 4 hours of work.

Neg rep away. The medical system is broken, there is more than enough money for the entire thing to pay for itself.

lol, idiot

lol, idiot

he's not wrong. There's more than enough money in the healthcare system. It's just not going to the right people. Too much goes to administrators and salespeople instead of to doctors and scientists.

haha have to disagree with brasky...there is so much red tape to go through now in practice

with docs salaries on the decrease and lack of affordable interest and subsidized loans, no one is going to be able to afford to go to medical school...

AAMC wants an increase in the number of medical school spots at each school and the gov wants to cut funding for residency programs, making them even more competitive...

IMO they are going to go over hill on the "competitive hump" that brings the best and brightest to medical school and start losing those kids to more lucrative and better lifestyle jobs

he's not wrong. There's more than enough money in the healthcare system. It's just not going to the right people. Too much goes to administrators and salespeople instead of to doctors and scientists.

i can agree with this somewhat...the fact of the matter is, its the students that are hurt by these cuts as they are already paying 40K+/year to go into this profession...these cuts will add $10-20K of debt and with unsubsidized loan interest rates, it'll take quite a long time to pay back

Thanks BBD, I was about to post that as my response. I understand the debt most young doctors and medical professionals go into, but at the very least they are enablers of the sham that is our medical system. Until physicians take a stand and work to eliminate the intermediaries its gonna be hard for me to have any sympathy for them losing government subsidies.

Thanks BBD, I was about to post that as my response. I understand the debt most young doctors and medical professionals go into, but at the very least they are enablers of the sham that is our medical system. Until physicians take a stand and work to eliminate the intermediaries its gonna be hard for me to have any sympathy for them losing government subsidies.

i apologize for taking your post incorrectly. there certainly should be better ways to make things more efficient and cost effective. a large problem is physicians do not have the time to force effective changes, especially during their training years

sadly we live in a situation where HMOs and private insurance companies run a lot of the show

I just received an email from my school stating the following:

"Congress and the Obama Administration are discussing a deficit-reduction proposal that would cut federal GME support by up to 60 percent — $60 billion — and jeopardize residency training programs across the country. Congress is expected to finalize its multi-trillion-dollar package of program cuts in the next few days."

Personally, as a medical student who is accumulating massive amounts of debt, this is not ok. Residency positions are already at a premium; medical schools across the nation are continuing to increase their class size, without comparable increases in residency positions. Cutting GME funding could put the future of medical education and physician training in jeopardy.

Please take the time to at least send a pre-formatted electronic letter to your Senators and Representatives. It takes less than 5 minutes to complete and can be found here: http://capwiz.com/aamc/home/

Mods, feel free to move it to the political board if you feel that would be a better place for this.

A med school student who's stage name is Dr., interesting.

So let me get this straight, Obama enacted an enormous "healthcare" bill that will require many Americans to pay significantly more taxes to improve the nation's healthcare, yet he is trying to cut the funding for medical residency programs which will reduce the number of doctors. So where the fuck is the extra money going?

So let me get this straight, Obama enacted an enormous "healthcare" bill that will require many Americans to pay significantly more taxes to improve the nation's healthcare, yet he is trying to cut the funding for medical residency programs which will reduce the number of doctors. So where the fuck is the extra money going?

He's reducing the size of government, sparky. That should give you a boner.

No he isn't. The net effect of the two actions together is to increase the size and cost of government, while reducing the services that said size and cost are providing.

link?

Back