• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Attorney help needed

Expelled? That's awfully harsh. I know kids who showed up to school sanctioned events drunk... alcohol in their system, not just a bottle sitting in a trunk... and just got sent home.

This is not a direct referral; however, Wilson Parker, a professor at Wake's law school, specializes in this kind of stuff. He co-authored a book entitled "Ignorance is No Defense: a College Student's Guide to North Carolina Law" which talks about numerous alcohol/drug/sex related laws in North Carolina. I would try shooting him an e-mail (parkerjw@wfu.edu) if you don't have any other leads.

Wilson is a good guy. I had him for Con Law back in the day.

Can't offer any help, but just wanted to agree that the expulsion is absurd.

The policies in school have gotten a little out of control. At the high school where my fiancee teaches, there was a party bus taking some kids to prom. The police boarded the bus, found one kid with weed, and the school suspended everyone on the bus...well, they suspended them all until about 2 dozen angry parents showed up that following Monday morning raising hell about it.

They're also inconsistent, too. A kid in her class got busted with a hunting knife that he pulled out IN CLASS and all he got was like a three day suspension. Weapons are supposed to be automatic expulsion as well, but they didn't boot him out because he's "learning impaired."

Where I went to HS, I would just park off-campus.

Not sure how many of you have teenage children (not many, I know), but you'd be amazed at what schools now do and over what they have jurisdiction. For example, if they find pictures on FB - even if the "incident" happened off of school grounds - they can take action. I'd hate to be a teenager now.

yeah this happened when I was in high school, facebook wasnt around yet but a bunch of photos of kids at a party showed up on the internet, although I think everyone just got banned from after school events for a semester.

Also, did the kid admit it was his, couldnt the parents say they used the car and forgot to take it out. But in the long run this really isn't the end of the world I know it sucks short term but he can get through this. I had a friend in HS that got busted for selling weed and he had to go to the alternative school for two years. He ended up going to VCU for a year, transferred to UVA, and is now getting his phd at Harvard. The school he may have been set to go to might rescind but other schools, particularly very liberal ones, will probably cut him a break.

Oh, my. Someone's fed you a load.

Police dogs don't smell unopened bottles of liquor. I don't believe they are trained to smell liquor at all, but I am real sure they don't smell unopened bottles of liquor. Police dogs are trained to smell other things, so if the true story involves detection by police dogs, you may have greater concerns than a bottle of liquor. The liquor charge may have been a serious break of good luck.

Casey Viser in Charlotte. 704.372.9870. Good luck to the kid.

Wakelaw2006 said:
ResIpsaDeac wrote: Wilson is a good guy. I had him for Con Law back in the day.

WakeUp08 wrote: So did I. Cool guy. Shitty teacher. But this situation is totally something he'd take interest in.

Totally agree with 08.

I loved him.

Oh, my. Someone's fed you a load.

Police dogs don't smell unopened bottles of liquor. I don't believe they are trained to smell liquor at all, but I am real sure they don't smell unopened bottles of liquor. Police dogs are trained to smell other things, so if the true story involves detection by police dogs, you may have greater concerns than a bottle of liquor. The liquor charge may have been a serious break of good luck.

Casey Viser in Charlotte. 704.372.9870. Good luck to the kid.

I agree with 1976. Might want to make sure that the dogs didn't key into something else before fighting the booze charge. Might be the lesser of 2 evils.

Oh hell no. Expelled for booze? That is complete bullshit. I had no idea they train police dogs to pick up on alcohol now. I'd have been screwed in high school.

+10000000000000000000000000000

yeah... once someone had a water bottle full of vodka and my friends and I shared it, passed it around in the cafeteria during lunch. really don't think I would have been expelled then - and I went to private, Catholic school.

best of luck to this kid.

Back