• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Austin Proehl offered...

OriginalAdmiral

Reaction score
Received an offer today. Would be awesome to have a 2nd generation Proehl at Wake!

At least I'm not the only person who is getting old. Old men rule Ricky...

Is this nice - or just throwing away a schollie to an alums son?

One trip really impressed him.

My favorite visit was probably Carolina,” Proehl said. “I really like it there, and I love Coach (Gunter) Brewer. He played with my dad at Wake, so I've known him a long time. I know my dad believes in him and knows he is a good coach. We've talked a lot and it’s great.”

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1239273.html

awesome. he has to be well trained and practiced because his pops owns a sports coaching/training complex. hopefully he is as good as his old man.

If we can't land him then I am going to start really scratching my head about our program.

I understand that he's been around WF his entire life. He's had the run of the place since he was a toddler and he's seen more games than a lot of people. And I can understand if he's hesitant to want to be a student-athlete at a place where your dad's name is on a lot of things, especially the lockerroom. It probably is a challenge to live up to that standard.

Still, Proehl is WF. Austin is a Deac. Stay that way.

next time he visits Carolina he should ask to see their ACC Championship trophies. He might want to take along a feather duster.

next time he visits Carolina he should ask to see their ACC Championship trophies. He might want to take along a feather duster.

Didn't you hear?? UNC ACC Coastal Division Champs 2012 all day everyday. Except for the part about playing in the ACC championship, they didn't get to do that.

If we can't land him then I am going to start really scratching my head about our program.

Why? It wouldn't be the first time that a legacy went to a different school than his dad to play football.

All recruits love ex-Deac Gunter Brewer. Has anyone ever tried to get him on the staff here? Of course he never played or coached for Grobe.

Received an offer today. Would be awesome to have a 2nd generation Proehl at Wake!

In this case it would actually be a third generation Deac, if you count his maternal grandfather. An excellent Deac in his own right.

I talked to austin the other day and he said he was very relieved to get the first offer (especially from Wake) but he was still going to make all of his visits and try to find what fits him best. Lonnie was his recruiter, but said he met/liked Stubblfield. He also said Ricky and Stubblefield knew each other from playing togehter at Carolina (Panthers).

fwiw, UNC has very limited scholarships this year and is only looking to take 1-2 WRs. Somewhat doubtful they ever offer Proehl.

Before everyone jumps all over our coaches for not landing a legacy like Austin Proehl (in the event they don't sign him) and hold this up to be an example of all that is wrong with WFU football, take a look at the situation from the kid's perspective.

He might want to play for a school where he can make his own footprints, where his dad's name isn't instantly associated with that school before his name is, where he isn't playing in his dad's shadow. He has a lot of Deacon in his blood, his mom & dad, his uncle (Stafford Moser) his grandfather, so he will always be a Deac, but he might want to be a football player elsewhere.

Back