• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Auto insurance (accident) help

WFU71

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice. My six month old Kia Cadenza was rear-ended (and totaled) while sitting in our driveway by a neighbor's car (parking brake apparently failed and it rolled down the hill and into our driveway). The Kia was a left-over 2015 that I paid right at $40,000 for. It has a whopping 4047 miles on it and was ion flawless condition.

The neighbor's insurance company is almost certain to call it a total loss, but NADA and KBB values run from $25,000-27,000. Do I have any recourse to obtain a better settlement? At $25,000, my depreciation cost would be $4.14 per mile driven, an outrageous cost of ownership. The closest comparable Cadenza for sale is a lower trim level and is listed at $29,000, with 500 less miles.

Thanks

Who thought it was a good idea to name a car after a cupboard?

Probably going to be tough to get anything close to what you paid - Kia's don't have good resale value so that kind of depreciation isn't atypical for this car.

What you pay for a car and what it's worth (even without any depreciation at all) are two completely different things.

What you pay for a car and what it's worth (even without any depreciation at all) are two completely different things.

First thing they teach you at insurance school. #2 being: what your homes real estate value is and what it will cost to rebuild are two completely different things.

short answer to the OP is: no, you have little recourse.

Next time find out if your carrier has a Better Car Replacement option (liberty advertises this heavily)

First thing they teach you at insurance school. #2 being: what your homes real estate value is and what it will cost to rebuild are two completely different things.

#3 being: the customer is always, ALWAYS wrong

58380579.jpg

Sounds like the perfect time to right your wrongs and replace the Kia with 2 high mileage Sequoia's

kia makes a 40K car? WTF. I hope if you financed you at least had gap insurance, but other than that, you are screwed.

Back