• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Auto Transport Companies

Wake95

Reaction score
Anybody ever had to do this themselves? I have come to the conclusion that there are ZERO reputable companies out there. I am trying to get a vehicle shipped from Texas to NC. It is a relatively nice vehicle, so I want to make sure that it is taken care of and arrives in the same shape that it is in when it is picked up. I would also like some sort of guarantee as to when the pick up and delivery would take place. Seems like most give a huge window of time (7+days) to do the pick up and the delivery. Has anybody here had a good experience with a company that they could recommend to me?

Anybody ever had to do this themselves? I have come to the conclusion that there are ZERO reputable companies out there. I am trying to get a vehicle shipped from Texas to NC. It is a relatively nice vehicle, so I want to make sure that it is taken care of and arrives in the same shape that it is in when it is picked up. I would also like some sort of guarantee as to when the pick up and delivery would take place. Seems like most give a huge window of time (7+days) to do the pick up and the delivery. Has anybody here had a good experience with a company that they could recommend to me?

I will find out who we used, it went really smoothly and they even delivered the car early. We did have a short pick up window, but had to just wait on delivery, though like I said, it was delivered early. They also delivered it cleaner than when they picked it up.

I've used Intercity Lines before. Fully enclosed door to door transport. They are not cheap but provided top notch service and were very quick.

Looks like Allied included it in our entire move (they must've contracted it out though because it was definitely a different service). It cost us $100

the prices I have seen vary greatly....from $500 to well over $1000

My friend's dad's partner once paid him to drive his car to Lake Tahoe. His cousin hid in the back seat and the trip didn't go that well because the police thought the teens stole the car.

On second though, just pay a professional.

I had a car shipped from CA to SC in January; used a broker (Affordable Auto Transport) out of Florida, who ended up contracting with an independent carrier named Roland Hinson (hinsontransport.com).

The broker was a bit sleezy, but I had a good experience with the carrier. He gave me a well defined pick up time/location, was on time, polite, and loaded up my truck with no problems (my dad actually handled this side of things). He kept in touch with me during transport and brought my vehicle to me just as I had left it. One thing that irked me slightly was that he asked me to meet him on the interstate to save him some time from getting too far off the road. In the end, it probably worked out better that way as he would have had a hard time getting his truck around downtown Charleston. He uses an open flatbed, so if that's an issue for you, Hinson Transport may not be the best option.

Also, I guess I'll mention, the way it worked with the broker is that the guy (Tommy?) called and we talked about where the truck was located and where I wanted it shipped. We agreed on a price that was based on the mileage and posted on some truckers only board for carriers to see. According to him, we were bidding against some other jobs and needed to price competitively, but ultimately the cost was in the range I had planned for so I was satisfied with what I paid. The broker charged me a fee when they secured the carrier, and I paid the rest (majority) directly to the carrier.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

I've used Intercity Lines before. Fully enclosed door to door transport. They are not cheap but provided top notch service and were very quick.

Intercity Lines has been the only one recommended to me....you are right...they are very expensive....this is who Jay Leno uses to move his classic cars around. It would be nice to have the peace of mind knowing that the car is being cared for meticulously...but it ain't cheap. There has to be a happy medium of reputable people that will move it without charging an arm and a leg.

ouch! just got a quote back from Intercity Lines....it was $1600. Next contestant please!

I have also shipped a car by posting it on uship and getting bids. All the brokers are on there posting most of the bids but I eventually got a competitive bid from an independent guy who picked up the car in NC and had it in upstate new York the next afternoon. You just have to read the reviews of the shippers closely on uship and avoid the brokers if you don't want to deal with the huge pickup windows they give.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

used them to ship a car from CA to NC, cost ~$900. they picked the car up right outside where i was living in CA and deposited it at a terminal in NC where i went and picked it up.

went much better than the company i used to ship from NC to CA. I used a broker, jays auto transport, and while he was OK to deal with i did not like the company that ultimately did the job.

I used Dependable Auto Shippers three different times and had pretty good luck with them. It seemed a bit expensive at the time, but it's been a while.

I have also shipped a car by posting it on uship and getting bids. All the brokers are on there posting most of the bids but I eventually got a competitive bid from an independent guy who picked up the car in NC and had it in upstate new York the next afternoon. You just have to read the reviews of the shippers closely on uship and avoid the brokers if you don't want to deal with the huge pickup windows they give.

+1 here. Had a buddy in Chicago ship a 56 Tbird down on a flat bed for $800. Car arrived in good shape except for one of the windows was cracked and got rained in but he could have left that down. Overall a great experience.

I know a reputable driver...

vlcsnap00230.4011.jpg

You could just get that bro going to Tulsa and charging his buddy to be his friend to swoop down to Texas on the way back.

I put an ad up on ubid and have have had a ton of replies from brokers. Also got an offer from an independent guy in Mesquite, Texas to put it on a flatbed and drive it to me here in NC and have it in my driveway 48hrs after picking it up. Wants $1000. The guy has great reviews on ubid. I am just a bit nervous about giving someone I know zero about the keys to my new car and trusting him with it.

I put an ad up on ubid and have have had a ton of replies from brokers. Also got an offer from an independent guy in Mesquite, Texas to put it on a flatbed and drive it to me here in NC and have it in my driveway 48hrs after picking it up. Wants $1000. The guy has great reviews on ubid. I am just a bit nervous about giving someone I know zero about the keys to my new car and trusting him with it.

Is he insured as well as the car? If so, go for it.

I am just a bit nervous about giving someone I know zero about the keys to my new car and trusting him with it.

Isn't that the entire point of this thread? To find someone you don't know to transport your car to you?

Quit being such a pussy.

Back