• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bald Head (Island, not Stan Gable)

Henry Chinaski

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Thinking of going - reviews? Is it a total PITA to get in and out with ferry or really not too bad? We will be a couple families w little kids.

Last edited:
Thought this thread would be about Stan Gable.

I've been at Bald Head for 20 years and it is no longer the laid back spot it used to be. However, it is a wonderful spot for children and visitors. The golf course was renovated two years ago and is one of the best in the state now. A very adequate grocery store is on the island, as well as many decent restaurants. Shoot me a pm if you want more details

We went last summer, just once. Thoughts:

Parking at the ferry terminal was expensive $10/day.
Ferry ride was expensive at $23/adult RT.
The ferry had oversize baggage fees for bikes, kayaks, etc. at $23/item

The ferry itself wasn't a real pain, it was just expensive. The trams once you arrive on the island were a little confusing at first.

No cars on the island is nice, but make sure the place you rent has bikes AND golf cart(s). If the family you are traveling with doesn't have their own bikes and a golf cart it can be hard to get around. We went with another couple, and when they had the cart, we had the bikes, which worked OK. The house having bikes saved us the oversized baggage fees on the ferry.

Grocery store had pretty much everything, was a little pricey but nothing outrageous.

There are only like 3 restaurants on the island, one is the seafood place at the port which was like $30 for a small bucket of mediocre seafood, one coffee/breakfast place in the grocery store, and I think a small grill by the golf course. Cooking your own meals is the only way to go.

Don't remember there being much for kids, aside from the beach.

SBTtoy and I typically do Ocracoke, so we found ourselves comparing BHI to that and all things considered, we prefer Ocracoke

I love BHI. When renting a house there, I strongly advise one with a "Shoals Club membership included". The Shoals Club has a great private beach and great pools/poolside bar including big kiddy pool. They give you towels for beach and if you get there reasonably early you can get two or three of the free beach umbrellas and make a camp for your group on the wonderful, big, uncrowded beach. From there you can walk on the beach all the way up the eastern seaboard if you want to. There are a couple of nature walks on the island that kids like, but you just about have to have a shoals club membership so you can pina colada while kids play in the pool or on the beach. Get a house with a golf cart for each family unit you will have (somebody always want to go somewhere) and make sure the house has enough functioning bicycles for the size groups you want riding at the same time. Not cheap but a really good place.

There are only like 3 restaurants on the island, one is the seafood place at the port which was like $30 for a small bucket of mediocre seafood, one coffee/breakfast place in the grocery store, and I think a small grill by the golf course. Cooking your own meals is the only way to go.

There are two restaurants in the marina, Mojo's and Delphina. The place at the grocery store serves both lunch and breakfast and has really been upgraded the past year or two. If you rent a place with a BHI Club membership (the country club) you have the Pelicatessen (sandwiches and pizza), the Palms dining room and the Grille and Grille Terrace. If you rent a place with a Shoals Club membership you have the Sandbar Grill and their upscale restaurant, which is amazing. Some houses have both memberships, and you usually (always?) have to pay extra to use those memberships.

The grocery store is a poor man's Fresh Market. The only thing it doesn't have that I miss is a liquor store.

I concur that you have to have a golf cart - I can't imagine having to get around the island without one - and bikes are a huge plus. If your idea of fun at the beach is actually enjoying the beach and maybe playing some golf (like me) it's absolutely perfect.

It's an expensive place to vacation.

there is nothing to do there. i love it.

Thanks for the info - i think we'll give it a go. Done Topsail and Ocean Isle a few times and this sounds a bit different. Sounds a bit WASPy but i guess so are we...

Definitely waspy, but it is what it is. The lighthouse is neat, and renting/going out in Kayaks can be fun, too, depending on how little the kids are. In my experience, the whole trip to the island was especially relaxing because there are no cars. Something about that just really tones things down and it's awesome.

I do not think anyone can dispute the beauty of the island and the “nice feel” with no cars, but my question would be more what you want when you arrive. Not sure the age of all the kids you are traveling with, but I would suggest Holden, Sunset or Ocean Isle beaches for a quite place for a few families with small kids to meet. Can’t get much nicer than the new houses in the “private section” of Holden, they also have a HUGE house with 22 bedrooms if you want to put all families under one roof. Also a range of bedrooms 6,10, 12, 14, 18...some big ass beach homes. They also cost about the same as each family getting smaller houses for 1 or 2 families.

Another vote for BHI being awesome. And totally worth the effort.

Thanks for all information on Bald Head Island. Can anyone confirm that Seabreeze Rentals is ok to rent from?

Thanks. They have several very nice properties at good locations.

They do. We've rented from bhi, sea breeze and Tiffany's. The only one we haven't used is windy Wilmott. Of the three we rent from sea breeze the most and have been pleased. For us everything is the same it just comes down to the house we like the best. For years we stayed at the same house. As the family has grown, we keep trying different new houses.

My favorite still remains as uncle Charlie's.

We are
concerned that Tiffany's does not take credit cards, which is usually a red flag.

Back