• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bands/Artists that did a good job on covers...

+1 on Dino Jr./Show Me the Way and RHCP/Higher Ground

Built to Spill did a good cover of Free Bird, if you can get past Doug's vocals. (Skip ahead to the 3 minute mark.)

They also could do a good cover of Dream Police.

Superchunk's cover of 100,000 Fireflies by The Magnetic Fields is another good one.

Others:
Iron & Wine/Such Great Heights
Dwight Yoakam/Suspicious Minds
Uncle Tupelo/Moonshiner (sort of a cover)

There's this, then everything else

The first thread I ever posted on the old boards was comparing John Mayer's "Free Fallin" to the original, after the doofi had shown me the cover. Little did I know, they had gotten Mayer's version from a previous thread a couple of days before. I was ridiculed mercilessly.

Still a solid cover.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Karmin's cover of Ke$ha's We R Who We R.

or Jessie J's "Price Tag"

Last edited:
I think there's a solid argument that SRV's version is better than Hendrix's.

SRV was awesome, incredible, near the very very top of the short list of the greatest guitarists who ever lived, or whoever will live.

but no.

We need to replicate Axl Rose voice. We have the technology, we can rebuild him.

This is unique in a couple of way. First Cyndi Lauper made it famous, but Time After Time had gotten lots of local Philly air time. Next Eric and Robbie (the writers) are playing and singing on the video. You don't see that too often.

Back