• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Barack Obama is...

You guys should talk to my unemployed brother-in-law about the bang up job Obama is doing. He's also a big fan of those shovel ready jobs the stimulus was going to create, since he was in the excavation business for 14 years before getting canned.

You guys should talk to my unemployed brother-in-law about the bang up job Obama is doing. He's also a big fan of those shovel ready jobs the stimulus was going to create, since he was in the excavation business for 14 years before getting canned.

Obama's not hiring.

so Obama should create a new division of the government that hires private sector workers who were canned? How much power do you really think the president has over the economy?

Campaign finance reform is political suicide for any politician because the corporate interest controlling both parties by paying for the campaigns like the system exactly as it is currently designed-- a false choice between two essentially identical options, both under near complete corporate ownership. And the SC has recently ruled so egregiously against campaign finance controls/limits as to make government essentially a outsourced department of major corporate interests.

Corporate industrial interests offer you two parties, and keep the finance rules such than no candidate can possibly run outside of this bifurcated choice. Then they offer you two candidates of 90% identical thought when it comes to the issues that matter to big business (and some loudly contested differences on social issues that they couldn't care less about). America then selects between the two, thinking they have made a real choice rather than simply adopted option 1 or 1a from the corporate menu. The amount of variation is thus reduced, accounted for and controlled, and the system continues.

True campaign finance reform such as RJ suggests opens the door to the most truly horrifying possibility in the eyes of the current controlling corporate industrial structure- the rise of a third party not of their funding (and thus control). Candidates running free of the dominating influence of corporate cash, and thus not beholden to corporate interests, would be free to make rational assessments of issues relating to business, government, tax, the environment, regulation, etc.

This cannot be allowed. Thus you get things like the Roberts court's UC decision, which pushes the scale completely the other way, all but removing the importance of the citizenry in comparison to corporate sponsorship for any given election.

Campaign finance reform is political suicide for any politician because the corporate interest controlling both parties by paying for the campaigns like the system exactly as it is currently designed-- a false choice between two essentially identical options, both under near complete corporate ownership. And the SC has recently ruled so egregiously against campaign finance controls/limits as to make government essentially a outsourced department of major corporate interests.

Corporate industrial interests offer you two parties, and keep the finance rules such than no candidate can possibly run outside of this bifurcated choice. Then they offer you two candidates of 90% identical thought when it comes to the issues that matter to big business (and some loudly contested differences on social issues that they couldn't care less about). America then selects between the two, thinking they have made a real choice rather than simply adopted option 1 or 1a from the corporate menu. The amount of variation is thus reduced, accounted for and controlled, and the system continues.

True campaign finance reform such as RJ suggests opens the door to the most truly horrifying possibility in the eyes of the current controlling corporate industrial structure- the rise of a third party not of their funding (and thus control). Candidates running free of the dominating influence of corporate cash, and thus not beholden to corporate interests, would be free to make rational assessments of issues relating to business, government, tax, the environment, regulation, etc.

This cannot be allowed. Thus you get things like the Roberts court's UC decision, which pushes the scale completely the other way, all but removing the importance of the citizenry in comparison to corporate sponsorship for any given election.

Well Arlington you pretty much blanketed that one. Excellent synopsis, imo.

The only hope I have for the current corporate system of politics is that we at least know who is paying for which candidate.

The citizenry is still important because we still make the decision. While we do regularly given in to corporate wishes, we resist them as well.

so Obama should create a new division of the government that hires private sector workers who were canned? How much power do you really think the president has over the economy?

He already did that. Its the auto industry.

What he should be doing is trying something that might work like cutting the corporate tax rate, the capital gains rate, allow oil companies to create the jobs they've lost on the gulf coast due to Obama's no drill decree, cut federal spending to return consumer confidence. Stuff like that.

And what did happen to all those shovel ready jobs that trillion dollars was going to create?

What he should be doing is trying something that might work like cutting the corporate tax rate, the capital gains rate, allow oil companies to create the jobs they've lost on the gulf coast due to Obama's no drill decree, cut federal spending to return consumer confidence. Stuff like that.

And what did happen to all those shovel ready jobs that trillion dollars was going to create?

- the tax compromise already cut the corporate tax rate.
- oil companies are making record profits, you don't think they could hire a few more people? It was their horrific safety controls/plan that caused a major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but you just want them to be able to drill anywhere they want? Did we not learn anything from a major natural disaster? If there was ever time for the government to tie up big business with some environmental regulations, wouldn't it be in reaction to this type of thing?
- federal discretionary spending isn't the cause of our LONG-TERM budget problem.
- a 1/3 of the stimulus was tax cuts, a lovely compromised reached with republicans. Some of it has been used to save public sector jobs (see my wife's teaching job). It hasn't been effective with creating additional jobs, but we would be worse off without it.
- I would argue more, but I'm sure your lovely ideas of tax cuts will solve all our problems. I eagerly anticipate some of the wealth to trickle down.

What he should be doing is trying something that might work like cutting the corporate tax rate,

If a company is TREMEDNDOUSLY successful and makes 10% of sales in profits, they pay 3.5% in corporate taxes. If they need those employees so deparately they can easily raise prices 1-3% without anyone noticing.

the capital gains rate

Another RW canard.

allow oil companies to create the jobs they've lost on the gulf coast due to Obama's no drill decree

No drilling in the Gulf was over a long time ago. hey have chosen not to replace those jobs.

cut federal spending to return consumer confidence. Stuff like that.

Federal spending has LITTLE to NOTHING to do with consumer confidence. It's about THEIR jobs not what the government does.

There was $787B in the Stimulus Bill over $250B of it was TAX CUTS. Anbother $100B+ was given to states to help them kieep cops, teachers and other employees on the job. According to Ahnold over 200,000 government jobs were saved in CA alone.

Do you EVER get ANYTHING clsoe to being correct? Or do you simply spew out RW talking points in real life like they make sense?

- the tax compromise already cut the corporate tax rate.
- oil companies are making record profits, you don't think they could hire a few more people? It was their horrific safety controls/plan that caused a major oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but you just want them to be able to drill anywhere they want? Did we not learn anything from a major natural disaster? If there was ever time for the government to tie up big business with some environmental regulations, wouldn't it be in reaction to this type of thing?
- federal discretionary spending isn't the cause of our LONG-TERM budget problem.
- a 1/3 of the stimulus was tax cuts, a lovely compromised reached with republicans. Some of it has been used to save public sector jobs (see my wife's teaching job). It hasn't been effective with creating additional jobs, but we would be worse off without it.
- I would argue more, but I'm sure your lovely ideas of tax cuts will solve all our problems. I eagerly anticipate some of the wealth to trickle down.

Your guy is doing nothing for the private sector, nothing. You can hide behind the liberal, elitist talking points all you want. But the bottom line is when unemployment is still at 9% next year we're sending him packing.

Do you EVER get ANYTHING clsoe to being correct? Or do you simply spew out RW talking points in real life like they make sense?

the answer to everything is tax cuts. Disregard the study of economics. Just tax cuts.

The GOP should get to work on finding a candidate, then. I haven't seen anyone on the right who can beat him. All the ones who could beat him want no part of this election.

Your guy is doing nothing for the private sector, nothing. You can hide behind the liberal, elitist talking points all you want. But the bottom line is when unemployment is still at 9% next year we're sending him packing.

Good luck with that. Check of Nate Silver's blog regarding the correlation of the unemployment rate to reelection of an incumbent. Or, more specifically, the complete lack thereof.

Obama is doing just fine for the employed and investing portion of the private sector. The fact remains that corporate America has just learned that they don't need most of the staff they laid off to operate effectively, and currently have no intention of restaffing those positions despite strengthening profits. That's why this is a jobless recovery, and that's not something to be laid at the feet of the executive branch. Unless you're advocating for massive government hiring (read: stimulus spending) to provide jobs on a temporary basis. Is that your position?

When I read post like this I often wonder what the right thinks the economy would've look like today under a McCain presidency. I'm going to go with: nearly identical.

You do know it's not a vote of no confidence, right? Like, the Republicans have to find someone who can beat Obama.

Also, "liberal, elitist"? Is this the same Dirk from the old boards?

Conservative:

Liberal:
"ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

Well said.

Good luck with that. Check of Nate Silver's blog regarding the correlation of the unemployment rate to reelection of an incumbent. Or, more specifically, the complete lack thereof.

Obama is doing just fine for the employed and investing portion of the private sector. The fact remains that corporate America has just learned that they don't need most of the staff they laid off to operate effectively, and currently have no intention of restaffing those positions despite strengthening profits. That's why this is a jobless recovery, and that's not something to be laid at the feet of the executive branch. Unless you're advocating for massive government hiring (read: stimulus spending) to provide jobs on a temporary basis. Is that your position?

When I read post like this I often wonder what the right thinks the economy would've look like today under a McCain presidency. I'm going to go with: nearly identical.

Again, spot on.

it's going to be a long, slow, grind of a reelection, and likely extremely close.

WP/ABC poll today has 59% disapproving of Obama handing of economy, 47/49 overall, and tied with Romney.

I love this spot on shit from my intellectual brothers. Well played.

Back