• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Barbara Boxer to retire in 2016

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
I wonder if Gavin Newsome or Earvin Johnson will replace her.

Now, if we can get Nancy to go with her.

Those are good choices as well.

The biggest question is who the Dems want to run to replace Jerry Brown.

The biggest question is who the Dems want to run to replace Jerry Brown.

The Dem machine doesn't like KJ due to his wife (Michelle Rhee), but he'd be a much better Governor than Newsom. Not sure if KJ wants to be a Senator, although the timing wouldn't be bad since the Kings' new arena is scheduled to open in 2016.

Kamala Harris would likely be on the short list to replace Ginsburg if she has to be replaced while Obama is still in office. Another Californian, Goodwin Liu, is even younger, and the GOP refused to confirm him to the Ninth Circuit, so Brown appointed him to the California Supreme Court. If Obama's court appointments are going to be shaky, might as well force the GOP to filibuster the first potential Black woman or Asian Supreme Court Justices.

Darrell Issa's first run for office was for Boxer's seat in 1998. He lost in the primaries. With the first open CA Senate seat in more than 20 years wouldn't be surprised to see him run again. Kevin McCarthy probably has his eye on replacing Boehner. Neel Kashkari lost to Jerry Brown for Governor in November, but he's still the GOP's best hope in California.

I'd love to see Issa run for the Senate. He'd get beat by 6+ points. People often forget that CA probably has ten million Republicans. Otherwise, he'd lose like Santorum did in PA.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Issa run for the Senate. He'd get beat by 6+ pints. People often forget that CA probably has ten million Republicans. Otherwise, he'd lose like Santorum did in PA.

Are senate races in California determined by drinking contests? Getting beat by 6 pints is weaksauce.

Newsom isn't running, but Harris is in. Tom Steyer's money could make it interesting if he runs, but the Dem machine will all fall in line behind Harris.

Back