• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Barnhart notes Grobe's successes

Gotcha, i guess my joke was kind of an inside joke for townies, mostly those that live in the Mt Tabor HS area of W-S.

Very interesting stuff about UT job. I guess Grobe doesn't recruit enough thugs for UT.

Gotcha, i guess my joke was kind of an inside joke for townies, mostly those that live in the Mt Tabor HS area of W-S.

Very interesting stuff about UT job. I guess Grobe doesn't recruit enough thugs for UT.

i wonder how--if at all--grobe's recruiting would change if he were coaching at a big state school (i.e. tenn, arkansas, michigan, nebraska).

would he only go after the big fish, or would he pull a [Redacted]?

i wonder how--if at all--grobe's recruiting would change if he were coaching at a big state school (i.e. tenn, arkansas, michigan, nebraska).

would he only go after the big fish, or would he pull a [Redacted]?

It would change. He wouldn't be trying to bring in 25 big fish every year, but if he didn't bring in a nice handful of them and went 3-9, he'd lose his job.

Just a quick clarification on the timeline: Derek Dooley was hired by UT in Jan of 2010 shortly after Lane Kiffin bolted for So Cal.

So if Bill Mitchell's claim in accurate, Grobe would have interviewed for the UT job after the 5-7 season in 2009 which was Riley's senior year and not last season's debacle.

Also, it was widely reported that Kyle Whittingham had the UT job if he wanted it. When he declined the offer the job went to Dooley.

Appreciate the info, Billy.

I have no problem whatsoever with Grobe expressing interest and pursuing a job on the level of UT. That being said, I am glad he didn't get the job and I still believe that he and Wake are the perfect fit. I think that Grobe and his staff may have become a bit complacent, unintentionally, the last couple of seasons. Quite possibly, they (or at least, Grobe) have now realized that Wake may be the final stop so it is time to "go for broke". Agreeing with Ph, there has been a perceivable change in our approach this season, even if not to the extent that we would sometimes like.

I have no problem whatsoever with Grobe expressing interest and pursuing a job on the level of UT. That being said, I am glad he didn't get the job and I still believe that he and Wake are the perfect fit. I think that Grobe and his staff may have become a bit complacent, unintentionally, the last couple of seasons. Quite possibly, they (or at least, Grobe) have now realized that Wake may be the final stop so it is time to "go for broke". Agreeing with Ph, there has been a perceivable change in our approach this season, even if not to the extent that we would sometimes like.

Yep. We started going for broke after the Syracuse game.

Grobe admitted about 3-4 times they DID get complacent as a staff and team...thus...

That's a great way to put it. Gets back to my annoyance when Grobe talks about "we want to go back to a bowl" even though most of his players have never been. For the players and the fans, this isn't just the final stop. It's the only stop.

I'm not in NC, so I have no idea about the Mt Tabor Barber Shop. If I missed a joke, my bad. I thought you were intimating that I was like one of those dudes from Hoosiers who sits in the barber shop daily talking out their ass.

There's not much more to tell about the UT story. Many people were interviewed. Some came in because UT wanted them, some came in because they wanted UT. Some came in just to try and get raises from their current gigs. His position was that he had taken WFU as high as he could and wanted a bigger stage. The process did not get very far - he was not seen as a good fit for the program, particularly with recruiting.

If this is true, I have all sorts of problems with it. If Grobe had left last year or the year before, we would have been at a low not totally unlike where we were when he came. It would be true that he had taken us to an all-time high; but, the program had returned to the lower echelon of the ACC.

Second, I have difficulty believing that Grobe would want to work for an AD who hired Bruce Pearl (even if that AD was a graduate of WF).

If this is true, I have all sorts of problems with it. If Grobe had left last year or the year before, we would have been at a low not totally unlike where we were when he came. It would be true that he had taken us to an all-time high; but, the program had returned to the lower echelon of the ACC.

Second, I have difficulty believing that Grobe would want to work for an AD who hired Bruce Pearl (even if that AD was a graduate of WF).

The AD in question is a Clemson grad.

I'm pretty sure this UT flirtation was mentioned on the other board when it occurred, but the discussion was short lived.

I dont see that at all. He had a 17 year old QB in 2010. We actually played FSU pretty square in the first half last season...Ehrmann with big play sack and fumble on Ponder.

Indicative of the game and the season in 2010 was the first play of that game where Price hit Givens for a 27 yard gain which was called back on a phantom hold (since folks apparently want to blame the refs). Thaty play was indicative of the season. Newbie Q and a true freshman at that.

Well, it's certainly easy to tell those who have true knowledge from those who are full of shit, I mean with the anonymity and lack of verification and all. Right?

You want "full of shit"? Just glance in any mirror.

HeavyPetter said:
I'm pretty sure this UT flirtation was mentioned on the other board when it occurred, but the discussion was short lived.

Premium.

You want "full of shit"? Just glance in any mirror.

Guilty dog whines the loudest I guess. You can feel free to go fuck yourself Lectro; contrary to your paranoid mentality, I actually wasn't talking about you. There is a general concept that people who come on message boards and make claims without evidence or proof are subject to skepticism and scrutiny. But if you feel like that comment is directed at your sorry fucking ass and that anonymous, unimportant bullshit of a sports rag you allegedly write for, go ahead.

Guess you didn't learn shit during your three days at ban camp.

Guilty dog whines the loudest I guess. You can feel free to go fuck yourself Lectro; contrary to your paranoid mentality, I actually wasn't talking about you. There is a general concept that people who come on message boards and make claims without evidence or proof are subject to skepticism and scrutiny. But if you feel like that comment is directed at your sorry fucking ass and that anonymous, unimportant bullshit of a sports rag you allegedly write for, go ahead.

Guess you didn't learn shit during your three days at ban camp.

Alright TW Deac, resident astrophysicist... tell me what this post deserves?

3 day ban!?

Can we all stop talking about Grobe being a 'perfect fit' for Wake. Grobe is a fine man, a very good football coach, and we are lucky to have him. But, if Grobe were at Big State U - he would be just another Mark Richt. He would try to be a mentor and life coach, but at the end of the day, he would bring in lots of knotheads who run 4.3's.

I am sure Grobe is a good man, but he sells education, hardwork and character, because that is what a Wake coach needs to win. If we can't attract enough 4/5 stars, the only way to win is to find really good 2/3 stars and develop them. If you are trying to develop a kid, you need someone who is going to redshirt without being a distraction, stay eligible in the classroom for all 5 years and work his butt off at practice and in the weight room. In other words a smart, hardworking kid with high charcter.

You can't honestly believe Grobe is the perfect fit for Wake Forest, since we all know he was headed to Arkansas, before Wellman gave in to his demands. Not that their is anything wrong with Arkansas, but the perfect fit at Wake Forest does not want to squeal sssoooooouuuuuiiiiieeeee pppiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggg!!!!!! after every win.

It reminds me of Greg Oden and crew. How the heck could your final 2 schools be Wake Forest and tOSU? Seriously, the only way you could have picked two more different schools (who may both be fine schools) would have been if one of them were on Mars.

Alright TW Deac, resident astrophysicist... tell me what this post deserves?

3 day ban!?

Mods can do what ever they want- I say let this fucking shitbag stay here and continue to hang himself. Keep calling me out asshole and you will keep getting "fuck you" responses.

Mods can do what ever they want- I say let this fucking shitbag stay here and continue to hang himself. Keep calling me out asshole and you will keep getting "fuck you" responses.

Repeat offender and 3 day ban?

Calling TW, Marquee, anybody.

3 Day ban for this guy.

Double standard?

Back