• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Baseball 2014

BaseballAlum84

Reaction score
As the 2013 Black/Gold Word Series came to a close on Sunday, with the Black winning Game 5 and the series, there is cause for some optimism with this years squad. Starting with the returning starters. In the outfield, you have (Shambley, Jordan, Stephens, Rodriguez and Carey) the starting group will come down to who is hitting. Shambley has certainly earned a starting position along with Stephens leaving the third outfield position open for the taking. Carey brings power but a lot of strikeouts and rodriguez brings speed and a solid bat.
Behind the plate, the Deacs lose Armour but have a few guys to utilize (Morgan who caught games last year brings a power bat to the lineup, Breazeale a freshman who might have the best swing on the team and Kelly a strong player behind the plate with a gun) - look for certain guys catching certain pitchers this year.
Infield will have a different look thats for sure with Blair and Rhine departed. If the season kicked off tomorrow I would have to say that Keniry will move over from 2B to SS assuming he can get back to his sophomore year at the plate. At 2nd base, freshman Nate Mondou appears to have won the starting nod, another freshman with a solid bat. You will see Rodriguez getting time at 2nd base with certain pitching matchups. First Base could go in a few different directions. Morgan and Conway both strong bats in the lineup need to be in the lineup game after game so more than likely one will DH when not playing a position. However, you could see Napolitano slid over to 1st base if he starts hitting consistently again leaving 3rd base open for Napolitano, Craig or Redovian. My guess would be that Napolitano starts at 3rd and its his to keep or lose. IMO, I cant see Coach Walter starting three freshmen if Mondou and Breazeale end up starting.
Pitching is where the team seems to have improved upon from last year in certain areas. The sole weekend starter returning is righty Matt Pirro who had a solid fall and appears to be the front-runner to resume his role as the Friday night starter. The other two weekend spots seem to be up in the air. Kaden who worked out of the bullpen last year had a solid summer and for the most part had a good fall with the exception of one outting - seems to have locked down a starting spot. The third weekend spot could go in several directions between Matt Conway, who was a weekday starter and did very well in that role in 2013 or you could see Mark McCoy a lefty who had an up and down fall, Max Tishman another strong lefty who is looking to make the big leap to this role or Jack Fischer a righty who pitched out of the bullpen much of 2013 but had a rough fall season. IMO, I think Coach Walter will want a lefty mixed in with Pirro and Kaden therefore, I see Conway filling that spot to start the season. My only concern is that Conways bat is too important and will pitching on the weekend impact his performance at the plate? Probably - so you could possibly see one of the other guys moving into the weekend spotlight after the season kicks off if that concern proves to be true.
The bullpen is where the improvement will occur. Back from last year, Nate Jones, Fischer, Fossas, Finley, Eagan (DL) and depending on who the weekend guys are would also leave Tishman, McCoy, and newcomers Johnstone, McCarren, Ferris, Craig and Kelly. The big news is that John McLeod a tall dominant lefty who was hurt all of last season returns to strengthen the bullpen and you could see McLeod make a move to a starting role.
The keys will be: pitchers cutting back on # of walks from last year, solid defense and the offense producing/scoring runs in key situations.
Go Deacs!

Because Morgan caught games last year but isn't an everyday catcher however his bat will be in the lineup, Breazeale swings a good bat and will find time and Kelley is another solid guy behind the dish. Someone will emerge as an everyday starter. Last year Morgan caught the same guy. No other reason than that. Wasnt a prediction, just an opinion. Good luck Deacs.

Because one pitcher throws a knuckleball and only one catcher owns his own knuckleball glove.

Back