• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Hopefully this convinces Clawson that they extra slow RPO needs to be scrapped. Because if he runs it next year with Hartman and Kern, both will be knocked out by the end of ND game.

Like all football players, Newman is always one play away from never playing football again.

Have no idea what Newman's realistic draft assessment is, but if he's a lock to be drafted, would never criticize a kid for taking guaranteed money when it is available.

The transfer speculation here is so LOWF. Just stop.

QFP. OOOOOOOOPS.

I must say, screw all these well wishes on twitter and here. We gave the dude a P5 scholarship and a chance when no one else did. He got his degree. No, I don’t want him to go win a national championship somewhere else. I also don’t like the well wishes from his teammates. He’s abandoning y’all. Not to go pro, and not transferring because he can’t get on the field. No, he is leaving because he thinks he’s better than you and better than Wake.

Jamie is likely leaving for a more traditional offense. He is probably tired of getting beaten up in Wake's offense and needs one that will prepare him more for the NFL.

Wake is also now down to three scholarship QB's. They will need to use one of the six available scholarships to get another QB in the off-season. With the way the offense gets QB's beaten up, they need at least four scholarship QB's.

no offense here, but this is a douchy post

here's a deep ball with touch

Absolutely not trying to be douchy. Just a bit discouraged. The throw at 1:45 in that video is very encouraging - I actually don't think Jamie makes that play.

It’s fair. He’s a legit pro prospect and our offensive scheme leads to a pretty high probability for injury, especially for the qb. I wish him well, but sucks for us next season.

Might be tough given that we have an experienced presumed starter but any transfer QBs we might look at in turn for depth next year? Hate to reach on a new guy this late in the recruiting cycle.

Clawson surely will limit the number of hits Hartman takes, including in the RPO. If he goes down, we probably struggle to win 5 games. He's also already broke a leg.

If he isn't grad transferring, I would block a move to an ACC team. I think UGA is likely, but would prevent him from going to FSU or NC State.

I'm not sure I agree with this scouting report -- Hartman doesn't have incredible arm strength, but he certainly has shown enough arm talent over the years. Just watching the FSU or Syracuse games this year (hell, even the two throws at the end of the Michigan St, even if neither was a completion).

I think Hartman's failings in the past have been more around lack of patience in the pocket (somewhat mitigated by good elusiveness) and some bad reads in the RPO -- although I thought they were a lot better this year than as a true frosh (not a huge surprise), plus being erratic on some longer throws.

his skittishness in the pocket is my only major concern

I think Sam will keep getting better

brasky, I like Newman and preferred him to Sam next year, but you're track record on QB #analysis is not good enough for the confidence with which you post

If he isn't grad transferring, I would block a move to an ACC team. I think UGA is likely, but would prevent him from going to FSU or NC State.

is traditional transferring even an option given his redshirt year?

Jamie obviously knows where he is going already. That tweet doesn't happen on the chance he finds a school that is the right fit after entering the transfer portal. At least we will know for sure what school has a scumbag for a coach when the announcement is made.

As everyone knows, I am old school and old school places a great deal of emphasis on loyalty as opposed as being all wrapped up in self. Football is perhaps the ultimate team sport. Therefore, this is disappointing to me.

However, assuming Hartman doesn't transfer (nothing is certain any more) and assuming Surratt and Green return, our passing game should be fine (also assuming that we can replace all the OL we are losing). I really can't think of a pass that Jamie makes that Hartman can't make as well.

Nonetheless, I do agree that the slow RPO needs to go. It served its purpose, but by the end of the season opponents figured out how to stop it.

his skittishness in the pocket is my only major concern

I think Sam will keep getting better

brasky, I like Newman and preferred him to Sam next year, but you're track record on QB #analysis is not good enough for the confidence with which you post

Outside of his last 7 game I was pretty spot on about Wolford, but sure I’ll concede on that one. He ended up coming good.

I did however call for Newman well before most of you, and without him I doubt we go bowling the last two seasons.

The reason being that a small, skinny QB will not survive in this offense. I’m all for rolling with Hartman IF Clawson ditches the slow RPO. However considering that’s he the must stubborn scheme coach I can remember at Wake, I doubt it.

So what other grad-transfer QB's of note have entered the portal ?

Think Clawson will go that route now ?

I must say, screw all these well wishes on twitter and here. We gave the dude a P5 scholarship and a chance when no one else did. He got his degree. No, I don’t want him to go win a national championship somewhere else. I also don’t like the well wishes from his teammates. He’s abandoning y’all. Not to go pro, and not transferring because he can’t get on the field. No, he is leaving because he thinks he’s better than you and better than Wake.

I agree with this. I wouldn’t bash him publicly, but this dude is jumping ship on his teammates and coaches who gave him a shot. To me, it shows that he lacks confidence in his skills to continue at a high level without Hinton and Washington around. The coaches were banking on him being a starting QB next year and he just gave them a big FU. Shows his true character.

Outside of his last 7 game I was pretty spot on about Wolford, but sure I’ll concede on that one. He ended up coming good.

I did however call for Newman well before most of you, and without him I doubt we go bowling the last two seasons.

The reason being that a small, skinny QB will not survive in this offense. I’m all for rolling with Hartman IF Clawson ditches the slow RPO. However considering that’s he the must stubborn scheme coach I can remember at Wake, I doubt it.

If Sam started/played the whole year, you could make the argument that we would have had a better season, given how it ended. Jamie threw 2 critical picks vs Louisville and was quite bad vs VT, Cuse, and MSU. Maybe we lose Utah St or BC I guess without him. The thought that we wouldn't have gone bowling is silly/dumb.

I did prefer Newman, am bummed he's gone, and share your QB injury concerns as well.

Back