• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basham, Surratt, Hartman and Kern return

Yes, Russell Wilson still does the "Whole Pack of Badgers" line in his SNF intros. Maybe if Newman makes the NFL his college tag line can be "Duck U Ron Wellman".

8/10. Who knows, he could run camps like CP3, return regularly to WF, and help top NC recruits choose us over UNC, etc. More likely he won’t do much of anything except focus on his career, but it’s worth keeping the connection just in case.

Ogb surely you don’t think many posters or at least me are doing the LOWF “we were so blessed he even looked at Wake” and “above all else be polite” routines. If they are, those takes are bad as well.

I think the fan base should be capable of better takes than the Walmart-esque “we’ll be so much better without him” and “he really didn’t try hard” and “did you see his smile on the incompletion ?” We’d see none of these hot takes if he announced he was returning in that same message.

I don’t feel like doing a complete 180 on everything I used to think about Newman, even while recognizing it’s a big risk on his part, disagreeing with his probable reasons for the switch and also knowing it’ll likely have a negative impact on the team.

No, I don't have a problem with most of what you've posted, and to the extent that I do, I recognize that it's largely due to the fact that you've been reacting against and responding to an extremist.

The issue is with LOWF losers like RJ Karl Wellman who think that players like Newman can't be successful at LOWF and need to use us as a stepping stone in order to go to a "better department" to get ready for the NFL. Then they get offended over people reacting out of self-interest (for the team and university) in response to Newman making a decision in his own self-interest (to the detriment of the team and university). We'll never be where we want to be until people with views like that are out of positions of power and influence.

Can't say I agree

You're either with me or against me!

8/10. Who knows, he could run camps like CP3, return regularly to WF, and help top NC recruits choose us over UNC, etc. More likely he won’t do much of anything except focus on his career, but it’s worth keeping the connection just in case.

The Demon Ducks

It's weird to me that some folks are hyping Newman and criticizing things like first down runs and overly slow mesh-point holds, as if those aren't things the QB manages.

I mean, this is the same scheme, same call, same players, same everything minus the QB in literally the same game, and it's a first down play.

The delay at the mesh point draws the safety, Hartman sees him running straight at him leaving Greene in single coverage, hits him on a quick pass and the rest is history because the deep safety also bit on the run meaning Greene only had one guy to beat (and that guy thought he had help). When our offense stalled so often in the back half of the year and in the 2nd half against MSU, this is the stuff Newman simply didn't or couldn't do. Unless you think Clawson/Ruggiero were calling run-only from an RPO look, not trusting Newman to read the situation, it's a weird argument. And results-wise from the 2nd half of last year through the first half of this year we'd won 11 of 14 games. Who's thinking "let's gut the offense" at that point?

Yadda Yadda Yadda....

OGB always hit firsts and no nerves.

but you are so much better than RJ . What is SAD and HILARIOUS is mind-boggling you aren't faith leader.

BTW, RJ is plenty happy and laughing his ass off at this.

Keep being fake holier than thou, it's soooooo cool.

Yeah, if you look at Sam Hartman highlights vs Jamie Newman Highlights on the youtube, Hartman reacts quicker and all his highlights are TD's scored from the 5 yard line. Jamie's highlights are all perfectly thrown deep balls down the sideline.

Jamie gives the eye test better though, dude just looks like a freak athlete. Wish he stayed, cause I feel there would be more hype on us coming into the season, and we could even be ranked.

There was plenty of hype with Hartman too. More so than Newman in a lot of ways. I still think if we handle our business, which will include beating App State at home, then we should be ranked or on the cusp by end of week 2 (our week 2 anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kern early in the season on a drive per half.

I think we are collectively over-analyzing the whys of Newman leaving. From a strictly football perspective, running the RPO at fast temp results in the quarterback making 25% more reads per game than almost any other RPO quarterback in college football. It requires him taking 25% more snaps and taking a lot of hits. Newman wanted that starting job badly. His professional future sort of required it. But from a football perspective only, I think he got fatigued after the shoulder injury. We were having a historic season, he was throwing youtube ready deep balls and running over linebackers for touchdowns. Is it possible that by snap 800 of the season, he was ready to hand it off a lot more?

Hartman will stand in there and take hits until the wheels come off and there is blood running from his mouth. And I say that without challenging Newman's toughness at all. Guy was a baller. But it will be up to Clawson to manage Hartman in a way he may have failed at this year. He was likely more intent of saving Hartman's shirt than managing Newman's snaps. Next year, assuming health, there is no incentive to save Kerns for anything. He can play snaps each and ever game. We only need to manage QB3 assuming it is not Bowers.

Yeah, if you look at Sam Hartman highlights vs Jamie Newman Highlights on the youtube, Hartman reacts quicker and all his highlights are TD's scored from the 5 yard line. Jamie's highlights are all perfectly thrown deep balls down the sideline.

Jamie gives the eye test better though, dude just looks like a freak athlete. Wish he stayed, cause I feel there would be more hype on us coming into the season, and we could even be ranked.

Sam progresses through reads and gets out of the pocket better. Those highlights were also from this Sam’s true freshman year so there is no reason to think he won’t develop every part of his game. Hartman has a harder schedule to play next year, but the games Jamie played very well in this year weren’t exactly vs top competition. If our O-Line can develop with the 3 new starters, Sam will 100% be a better QB for Wake.

Sam progresses through reads and gets out of the pocket better. Those highlights were also from this Sam’s true freshman year so there is no reason to think he won’t develop every part of his game. Hartman has a harder schedule to play next year, but the games Jamie played very well in this year weren’t exactly vs top competition. If our O-Line can develop with the 3 new starters, Sam will 100% be a better QB for Wake.

This will be critical for success next year. Along with improved pass D.

O-line depth chart really intrigues me right now.

I guess Nya and Nash will play a lot.

Got KILLED versus MSU, but curious as to early depth chart.

O-line depth chart really intrigues me right now.

I guess Nya and Nash will play a lot.

Got KILLED versus MSU, but curious as to early depth chart.

Looked horrible vs MSU with Gilliam out, but also due to how good MSU’s D-Line is. Clearly the 2nd best D-Line we played all year behind Clemson. I feel good about Nash and Nya, but Clapp worries me a little mainly because he’s replacing Herron.

No, I don't have a problem with most of what you've posted, and to the extent that I do, I recognize that it's largely due to the fact that you've been reacting against and responding to an extremist.

The issue is with LOWF losers like RJ Karl Wellman who think that players like Newman can't be successful at LOWF and need to use us as a stepping stone in order to go to a "better department" to get ready for the NFL. Then they get offended over people reacting out of self-interest (for the team and university) in response to Newman making a decision in his own self-interest (to the detriment of the team and university). We'll never be where we want to be until people with views like that are out of positions of power and influence.

Quit LYING about me ASSHOLE. I was for firing Wellman for 7+ years.

Quit LYING and saying I said Jamie couldn't be successful at WF. I said the CURRENT stop RPO wasn't good for him, not the school.

I guess you can't help yourself when it comes to LYING.

Haven’t seen this anywhere, but I see Washington State as a potential landing spot for Jamie. Known for bringing in transfer QB’s and turning them into NFL level QB’s. I don’t see why he would leave for Wake to go there, but just a thought. If he did transfer to a school of that type, that would be a big slap in the face to Wake and the whole coaching staff.

I don't think he leaves the State. I predict he ends up in Raleigh. Pure speculation and a gut prediction.

I don't think he leaves the State. I predict he ends up in Raleigh. Pure speculation and a gut prediction.

If he wanted to stay in state, Duke would be the best choice. Cutcliffe made Daniel Jones a top 10 pick somehow.

If Newman goes to NCSU or Duke, he will never be welcome at WFU again. He’s not going to burn all of his bridges at Wake Forest.

Folks this ship has sailed, so rather than shoot each other with arguments as to why and where should we not focus on the guys who want to play for Wake Forest? These are our QBs and there are reasons for thinking that we will be good because of them. I wish Jamie had stayed and stayed because he truly wants to be a Deacon. He is a rare pro-size QB (rare for WF). But if he wants to be somewhere else, it is good that he goes to that place. We don't have to put him down in order to be optimistic about next season. Hartman is a proven competitor and Kern has shown that he has a powerful arm. Then we have another option coming on campus this month. We will be fine at QB.

If he did transfer to a school of that type, that would be a big slap in the face to Wake and the whole coaching staff.

To play QB for Mike Leach?? Are you joking??

Also I believe the WAZZU QB this past season is graduating and threw for 400+ yards per game and close to 50 TD's.

IMO Newman is first looking to stay healthy, and secondly trying to improve his draft stock... He was beat up this year, and with our history of thin depth at OL I'm sure he wants to go a school with a great o-line to not only protect him, but let him show his stuff (for better or worse).

Back