• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Projected Minutes

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
This started over on the 2k18 recruiting thread, but deserves a separate one.

My thoughts on minutes:

Initial thoughts:

PG- Crawford (25), Childress (15)
SG- Woods (25), Wilbekin (10), Crawford (5)
SF- Brown (25), Washington (10), Woods (5)
PF- Thompson (20), Eggleston (15), Mitchell (5)
C- Moore (20), SJM (15), Sarr (5)

Crawford- 30
Woods- 30
Brown - 25
Moore- 20
Thompson- 20
Chill- 15
Eggleston- 15
SJM- 15
Wilbekin- 10
Washington- 10
Sarr- 5
Mitchell- 5

Maybe 30 mins for Brown over 25.

Keep in mind the minutes played last year by the top 4 returnees in minutes:

Crawford 32
Woods 31
Wilbekin 24
Childress 21

Also, keep in mind the minutes played by the top 3 who left:

Collins 26
Mitoglou 24
Arians 21

No one else on the team averaged more than 8 minutes a game (Doral was just under 8). Really doubt WF will have 10 players averaging 10+ minutes. Guessing like last year, it will be 7 or at most 8.

Wilbekin's minutes are not going to be cut from 24 to 10. Childress's minutes will likely not drop from 21 to 15.

Logjam at 1-3.
Plenty of minutes at the 4-5 for anyone that wants to step up.

Already looking forward to the season. Bummer that we didn't get some random Youtube summer games to watch this year.

Keep in mind the minutes played last year by the top 4 returnees in minutes:

Crawford 32
Woods 31
Wilbekin 24
Childress 21

Also, keep in mind the minutes played by the top 3 who left:

Collins 26
Mitoglou 24
Arians 21

No one else on the team averaged more than 8 minutes a game (Doral was just under 8). Really doubt WF will have 10 players averaging 10+ minutes. Guessing like last year, it will be 7 or at most 8.

Wilbekin's minutes are not going to be cut from 24 to 10. Childress's minutes will likely not drop from 21 to 15.

Completely agree.

Random thought I had when looking at stats/minutes... With 947 career points, Bryant Crawford has a shot to get into the top 10 all-time Wake Forest scorers if he plays for 4 years.

#10 is my all-time favorite Deacon, Darius Songaila - 1859 points

Outside shot at 2000+ points, which has only been done by 5 Demon Deacons (Hemric, Childress, Chappell, Duncan, Brown).

Here are my projections:

30 Crawford
20 Childress
27 Woods
18 Wilbekin
25 Brown
10 Eggleston
20 Thompson
15 Sarr
20 Moore
15 SJM

That is a 10 man rotation, which is a lot. I don't see much ability to go 4 out with Woods or Brown at the 4. Simply too small to compete in the ACC. For same reason don't see Thompson at 6-7, 215 logging many conference minutes at the 5. At the 4 I would expect to see Thompson start and play at least 20 MPG. When we go "small" Eggleston could get an opportunity (or Mitchell if he outplays Melo) at the 4. I think when we go "small" at the 5 it would likely be with Sarr.

I think a good way to look at minutes is to simply rank your players by ability and try to find combinations that get your best players the most minutes. I expect Crawford, Woods, and Brown to be our top 3 players with Childress quite possibly being #4. Unfortunately all are perimeter guys. Out of Thompson, Sarr, Moore, and SJM we really need at least 2 of them to step up and earn 20+ MPG.

Wilbekin's minutes got cut from 28ish to 24ish last year... I have to think he's closer to 20mpg this year, but would be shocked if much lower than that.

And yeah, Childress is going to play more, not less.

PG - Crawford (23), Childress (15), Wilbekin (2)
SG - Woods (17), Wilbekin (13), Crawford (7), Childress (3)
SF - Brown (24), Washington (8), Woods (8)
PF - Thompson (22), Eggleston (12), Mitchell (6)
C - Moore (18), SJM (14), Sarr (8)

Crawford - 30
Woods - 25
Brown - 24
Thompson - 22
Chill - 18
Moore - 18
Wilbekin - 15
SJM - 14
Eggleston - 12
Washington - 8
Sarr - 8
Mitchell - 6

Crawford (20) Childress (20)
Woods (15) Wilbekin (20) Crawford (5)
Brown (18) Woods (15) Crawford (5) Misc (2)
Thompson (23) Brown (7) Sarr (7) Misc (3)
Moore (20) SJM (15) Sarr (5)

Crawford (30)
Woods (30)
Brown (25)
Thompson (23)
Childress (20)
Wilbekin (20)
Moore (20)
SJM (15)
Sarr (12)
Misc - Mitchell, Eggleston, Washington (5)

Crawford 32
Chaundee 32
Key 30
Doral 20
Thompson 20
Sarr 18
Brandon 15
Sam 14
Wilbekin 11
Melo 8

Starters listed first:

PG: Crawford (18), Childress (22)
SG: Woods (10), Wilbekin (18), Crawford (12)
SF: Brown (18), Woods (17), Washington (5)
PF: Thompson (22), Brown (10), Melo/Mitchell (8)
C: Moore (17), Sarr (13), SJM (10)

Crawford - 30
Brown - 28
Woods - 27
Childress - 22
Thompson - 22
Wilbekin - 18
Moore - 17
Sarr - 13
SJM - 10
Washington - 5
Melo/Mitchell - 8

It's probably too early to say how the minutes get divided at center as well as the Melo/Washington/Mitchell trio. I think one of them will end up earning the bulk of those minutes whereas the centers could all see 10+ minutes a game. I'd be surprised if the guards' allocation end up being that much different from above. But then again, I don't think anyone had Childress getting 22 minutes before last season.

We are all pretty much saying the same things regarding minutes. Craw, Brown and Key will play as many minutes as possible. Chill and Mitch will get secondary guard minutes. The BIG question marks are our post guys. I'm still pretty confident that Doral is going to make a jump and get substantial minutes.

PPG/RPG/APG breakdown:

Craw: 18.6/4.5/5.2 * will make 1st team all conference in we make NCAAT. Another all conf team if we don't
Key: 13.2/ 4.8/ 2
Brown: 11/6/2.7 -- * All Freshmen Team
Chill: 7/2.8/2.4 --*will lead the team in steals with 1.9 per game
Mitch: 6.4/1.8/2.1
Thompson: 5.7/6/1.1
Cigs: 6.5/5/1 -- *lead team in blocks and will be top 8 in conference in this category at 2.1 per game
SJM- 5/3/1
Sarr: 3.6/4/.8
Melo: 2/2/.2
Dick: 2/.6/.2
Don Mitch: 1.1/1.6/.1

Last edited:
Starters listed first:

PG: Crawford (18), Childress (22)
SG: Woods (10), Wilbekin (18), Crawford (12)
SF: Brown (18), Woods (17), Washington (5)
PF: Thompson (22), Brown (10), Melo/Mitchell (8)
C: Moore (17), Sarr (13), SJM (10)

Crawford - 30
Brown - 28
Woods - 27
Childress - 22
Thompson - 22
Wilbekin - 18
Moore - 17
Sarr - 13
SJM - 10
Washington - 5
Melo/Mitchell - 8

It's probably too early to say how the minutes get divided at center as well as the Melo/Washington/Mitchell trio. I think one of them will end up earning the bulk of those minutes whereas the centers could all see 10+ minutes a game. I'd be surprised if the guards' allocation end up being that much different from above. But then again, I don't think anyone had Childress getting 22 minutes before last season.

This thread got me curious, so I looked up what I'd published. I had Childress getting 20.5 minutes a game. In reality, my projections look pretty good some 10 months later. I undervalued Keyshawn Woods and thought Doral would play a bit more.

http://scout.com/college/wake-fores...ketball-rotation-minutes-projection--74949091

Observations from minute projections:

The Board and the coaching staff do not agree on the minutes for Wilbekin (and to a lesser extent Childress). The staff liked to play a rotation playing 3 of Crawford, Woods, Wilbekin and Childress at the same time; they may go small a little less this year, but not a lot less.

A lot of faith being placed in Terrance Thompson. Some grad transfers play like Darius Leonard.

Not a lot in Oliver Sarr (except for RJ; for once, I agree with RJ; think Sarr's minutes will be closer to 18 than 5).

You mean the Darius Leonard who averaged 17 mpg?

You mean the Darius Leonard who averaged 17 mpg?

Because Manning had no better alternatives on a team with 13-19 talent. This team is better. Darius Leonard would not play 17 minutes on this roster.

Observations from minute projections:

The Board and the coaching staff do not agree on the minutes for Wilbekin (and to a lesser extent Childress). The staff liked to play a rotation playing 3 of Crawford, Woods, Wilbekin and Childress at the same time; they may go small a little less this year, but not a lot less.

A lot of faith being placed in Terrance Thompson. Some grad transfers play like Darius Leonard.

Not a lot in Oliver Sarr (except for RJ; for once, I agree with RJ; think Sarr's minutes will be closer to 18 than 5).

Let's say they still like to do this. Austin played 22.8 mpg. Those minutes go to Chaudee. He'll also pick up another 6-8 mpg. They will come from Wilbekin.

Because Manning had no better alternatives on a team with 13-19 talent. This team is better. Darius Leonard would not play 17 minutes on this roster.

I respectfully submit that Darius Leonard would 100% play 17 min on this team. He was a poor mans stretch 4 that manning loves

This team has 13-19 talent in the post. That team had two bigs who could score in DT and Dinos.

This started over on the 2k18 recruiting thread, but deserves a separate one.

My thoughts on minutes:

Initial thoughts:

PG- Crawford (25), Childress (15)
SG- Woods (25), Wilbekin (10), Crawford (5)
SF- Brown (25), Washington (10), Woods (5)
PF- Thompson (20), Eggleston (15), Mitchell (5)
C- Moore (20), SJM (15), Sarr (5)

Crawford- 30
Woods- 30
Brown - 25
Moore- 20
Thompson- 20
Chill- 15
Eggleston- 15
SJM- 15
Wilbekin- 10
Washington- 10
Sarr- 5
Mitchell- 5

Maybe 30 mins for Brown over 25.
t

The best players get the most minutes. Informative thread.

Back