• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BB&T's Secret Agenda

TheTwinAndreBen

3 stacks
Reaction score
Ruh roh. Looks like the Wrigley Field of College FB may not have come without a price called academic freedom.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ent-bbt-banks-ayn-rand-inspired-grant-program

That’s the idea behind a forthcoming paper in the Journal of Academic Ethics, called, "BB&T, Atlas Shrugged and the Ethics of Corporation Influence on College Curricula." It says it is the first study to track a particular set of donations by the financial services holding company BB&T to colleges and universities stipulating that they teach the works of free-market capitalist Ayn Rand and address the “Moral Foundations of Capitalism.”

The paper says these agreements, which have largely ceased, happen under a veil of secrecy, often without the knowledge of faculty members, and that BB&T’s foundation is set on correcting what it sees as an overly liberal curriculum.

“This has been reported on ad hoc, mostly by individual universities and their campus newspapers,” said Douglas (smells like) Beets, the article’s author and a professor of business at Wake Forest University, which has its own BB&T-funded program. “But otherwise you can’t find information on [BB&T’s] website, and that’s one of the major problems -- this is not transparent.” And Beets says that, given current discussions over allegations of corporate influence over university research agendas, the Ayn Rand grants need more attention.

R-174475-1301421163.jpeg.jpg

I, for one, do not welcome our new Wellman buttsniffing republican overlords.

i don't really care if college kids are forced to read ayn rand - they teach how to read discerningly in college

it's much worse when impressionable high school fuckbois read it and it turns em into greedy assholes the rest of their lives

i don't really care if college kids are forced to read ayn rand - they teach how to read discerningly in college

it's much worse when impressionable high school fuckbois read it and it turns em into greedy assholes the rest of their lives

I'm more concerned with making college students read shitty novels.

I'm more concerned with making college students read shitty novels.

if they tried to put that shit in the english dept it wouldn't fly with the faculty

but i'm sure it fits in well with the calloway curricula

I did a great Dr. Beets impression in my college years. Had to re-take his damn accounting class cause he gave me a D.

Is this why I managed to collect three copies of Atlas Shrugged to use as doorstops during my Wake undergrad?

EDIT: Two copies of Atlas Shrugged and a copy of the Fountainhead.

Yes, need to ban and burn Atlas Shrugged. Too many conservative and libertarian books on the WF reading list. :confused:

I guess AS depicts the failure of pogressivism too vividly for impressionable young minds!

FWIW, this hit piece should have been on the Politics forum where such opinions belong.

Last edited:
I'm far less offended by the message than I am by the awful writing.

Someone gave me a copy of Atlas Shrugged a couple of years ago. Fortunately, the print was too small for me to read.

Doug beets, lol. Fun times in his audit class.

Someone gave me a copy of Atlas Shrugged a couple of years ago. Fortunately, the print was too small for me to read.

The most vehement critics of Atlas Shrugged have never read it. Your attitude toward the book is typical of its non-readers.

I read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead and I turned out OK.

Back