• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Individual Efficiency Observations

If Fields will promise to never shoot any jumpers I think he could be pretty effective in conference play, much more so than TC.

TC moves the ball by getting into the lane and he's shown on a few occasions that he can technically dish it off to our bigs. Hopefully the staff is working with him on this because Fields cannot do this in any capacity...

I agree that neither are starting-caliber on even a decent BCS-team, but it's what we have...

Don't we have a relatively taller line up now than we've had in years past? The rebounding stats are just amazing. I wonder what our scoring percentage is inside the paint. It just seems to me we're taller than we have been but getting no production out of the height.

seems like a few years ago we were the tallest team in the country per kenpom. don't think we are anywhere close to that this year.

TC moves the ball by getting into the lane and he's shown on a few occasions that he can technically dish it off to our bigs. Hopefully the staff is working with him on this because Fields cannot do this in any capacity...

I agree that neither are starting-caliber on even a decent BCS-team, but it's what we have...

TC cannot beat his man off the dribble. I'm not sure he ever has. Last year, BC had a walk-on guarding him and TC still couldn't get around him. TC gets to the rim sometimes, but it's always in transition or off a pass.

Cannot do what in any capacity? He passes much better than TC, which isn't saying much because TC almost never passes. He also penetrates better than TC because TC is slow and Fields is fast.

Don't we have a relatively taller line up now than we've had in years past? The rebounding stats are just amazing. I wonder what our scoring percentage is inside the paint. It just seems to me we're taller than we have been but getting no production out of the height.

The scheme that Coach [Redacted] runs plus how soft everybody is at rebounding sans Travis McKie makes perfect sense to me that we can't rebound, especially on the offensive end.

seems like a few years ago we were the tallest team in the country per kenpom. don't think we are anywhere close to that this year.

IIRC we were #1 in effective height the year we reached #1. The next year we were still top 20 in the nation in effective height.

IIRC we were #1 in effective height the year we reached #1. The next year we were still top 20 in the nation in effective height.

Yep. We led the nation in effective height the year we were ranked #1, and we were #2 nationally the year after.

Effective height is not the same as team height though, it only factors in height at the 4 and 5. We were top 25 in average height (all 5 positions) both years as well.

Its not height that's the issue, its strength/girth. Richmond had a guy who is 270. We dont have anyone within 50 pounds of that size. They also had a guy who is 6'9" and athletic. Its actually amazing we were only outrebounded by 5.

Its not height that's the issue, its strength/girth. Richmond had a guy who is 270. We dont have anyone within 50 pounds of that size. They also had a guy who is 6'9" and athletic. Its actually amazing we were only outrebounded by 5.

Before the introductions at the Old Spice Classic, my wife said, "All the Wake players are like this [holds up pinky finger]."

This is definitely one of the smallest teams we've had.

It's probably visual bias when seeing Mescheriakov and Desrosiers on the floor at the same time. Tall, bright, and white.

Give THE KID A BREAK

I have sat here and read a lot of observations about this team and some I agree with and some I disagree with. While it may true the team is struggling,
the bashing of players is somewhat unfair. Chase is a freshman. No where was it written in stone he was going to be the answer to this team. True he was supposed to be a star but remember he is a freshman and this setting is a little different from high school. The kid has a lot to learn. He will be good just give him time. His 3 pointer is money. I watched him thoughout high school. He will have a great career at Wake. Anthony Fields is a great point guard. I watched him play in high school against a lot of the kids playing for big name schools right now and he more than held his own and locked them up. He does know how to score just give him time. The story a lot of you don't know is the kid broke his wrist right before the summer started. He did not pratice with the team or work out and did not play summer league. Heck he did not get his cast off until the later part of September and was not cleared to play ball until two weeks before the season started. He did not so much as bounce a basketball. You guys have just bashed this kid and wrote him off. I am surprised he is doing as well as he is. He also is a freshman and will learn. He just needs a little time to adjust and get his feet back up under him. Unfortuately it seems no one is willing to wait for that but there are good things to come just wait and see. He is a good kid that was faced with some serious bad luck but he will bounce back. Daniel Green another good kid. Yes he is lanky and tall but needs to get in the weight room and bulk up. I have watched him play and he will be good as a defender. He just needs work. Just remember guys these freshman did not anticipate the drama that was to unfold over the summer. They are troopers for sticking with the team because others may have bailed for greener pastures even if they had to sit a year. Yes, we have new guys coming next year but remember they read these sites and may have second thoughts. It is possible to ask for a release from a letter of intent. Lets show the guys that are coming we can support our team when it is down. The least we can do is give all of them the support they truly deserve because right now they need it. I just thought I would give my opinion.

Go Decs! :D

^^^ A few thoughts.

1. Deacs.

2. Use paragraphs.

3. There are too many Wake fans who now have an investment in seeing Buzz fail so they have to keep up the attacks on the program. They don't care about the risk they take in bashing the program and turning prospects away with their constant negativity.

4. Of the three frosh, Fields and Fischer have the skillset to compete at the ACC level this year. Daniel has a lot of work to do to get there. Unfortunately, Chase is the only one of the three who is a scoring threat.

5. I didn't realize how much off season time Anthony missed. Seems to me he could be pretty good but isn't looking to score. We need scoring threats so I'm not sure if he is hesitant about shooting, or isn't a good shooter and shouldn't be taking shots.

Don't get the conclusions about the freshman at all. Most everyone is high on Chase,and see good potential from Anthony and view Daniel as a longer term investment. We should have had a better overall class in 2011 no doubt Bz underperformed in terms of our immediate needs to compete more effectively this season. Now we have a solid 6 player class that will have some hits and some misses. Hopefully more of the former.

Yep. We led the nation in effective height the year we were ranked #1, and we were #2 nationally the year after.

Effective height is not the same as team height though, it only factors in height at the 4 and 5. We were top 25 in average height (all 5 positions) both years as well.

Yep. At that time we had four 7-footers ... Chas, Weave, Tony and Ty. The comment was made that we looked like an NBA team getting off the bus.

deacfreke2;465781 I didn't realize how much off season time Anthony missed. Seems to me he could be pretty good but isn't looking to score. We need scoring threats so I'm not sure if he is hesitant about shooting said:
Dreamer does make some pretty good points. I thought more folks realized that Anthony missed that time and came back the week before play began. I for one have been very impressed with what he has shown under the circumstances. I didnt think we could expect much from him this year, and he has been a pleasant surprise.

I'm also really high on fields. He has great vision and speed. You can't teach those things. I think we want to see him develop some type of floater, and I think he will. No one should have expected him to come in as a freshman, off of injury no less, and dominate right off the bat. He will be a good one, especially with the talent coming in.

Back