• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

5 of 7 were in the rotation last year. Tree and Andre should both see increased PT this year. Who's the odd man out in that class? Nobody. Furthermore, Dre knows that if he bulks up and works on his conditioning, the playing time is there for the taking. It's really all on him.

Let's wager then. If they see increased PT, someone else in the class is losing it because we only lost CJ.

In order for our program to be "sustainable" as Wellman says we are building, we have to run a couple of them off. Otherwise we are going to be really screwed when they leave at the same time.

Last edited:
No kidding. Remember that neither Eric Williams or Justin Gray were drafted. If Devin and CMM are close to where those guys were they'll be lucky.

I'm not saying CMM and Devon will get drafted, but both E-Rex and Gray were undersized for their positions. Devin has a pro 4 size if he adds bulk, while CMM is big enough to play the 2. They both have higher ceilings as well as a ways to go.

Wake will be a very attractive job is Buzz gets canned/leaves at the end of the year. 8 juniors, a highly recruited PG, and a 7 footer coming in. Also, almost unbelievable job security apparently.

That's my opinion at least.

Oh and to not expect some attrition at the end of the season among players is LOL. Buzz always has someone leave. Hell, even one if his guys left this offseason.

I'm not saying CMM and Devon will get drafted, but both E-Rex and Gray were undersized for their positions. Devin has a pro 4 size if he adds bulk, while CMM is big enough to play the 2. They both have higher ceilings as well as a ways to go.

Both are short for those positions in the NBA.

yes, CMM listed at 6-3 195 and Justin Gray at 6-2 194

(http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/codi_miller_mcintyre_787075.html and http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/justin_gray_111146.html)

Devin Thomas is 6-8 245 and Eric Williams 6-9 280

(http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/devin_thomas_787078.html and http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/williams_eric00.html)

so what in the hell are you talking about?

Like many others, I was struck by the implausibility of Mr. Dalbert's statement, so I decided to look at the recruiting classes of other ACC schools from 2002 (the first year Scout lists commits) through 2010 (whose members will now be entering their senior years). Unfortunately, zero--yes, zero--ACC schools brought in a 7-man class during that timeframe, which makes direct comparison impossible. Virginia Tech actually had 8 committed members in their 2007 class, but one didn't qualify and one (Gus Gilchrist) never enrolled.

Instead, I expanded the scope to include 5- and 6-man classes. I found 24 examples of such in my search parameters. Of those 24 classes, only one got 4 years from each of its players, UNC's 2005 class of Hansblow, Green, Frasor, Ginyard, and benchwarmer Michael Copeland. You might also recall them making the Final Four in 2008 and winning a championship in 2009, which I would consider to be rather exceptional circumstances not likely to be duplicated by our 2012 group. Only three other classes (UNC 2002, Maryland 2002, Maryland 2006) saw their classes complete their eligibility without a transfer. Below I've listed all 24 classes. Players who did not play four years are in bold.

Wake 2002
Eric, Trent, Gray, Ellis, Joyce

Wake 2006
Ish, LD, Chas, Skeen, Crawford, Gurley

Wake 2010
McKie, Chennault, JTT, Tabb, Desrosiers

VT 2002
Markus Sailes, Allan Calloway, Fabian Davis (only played 2 years), Shawn Harris, Winston Robinson (went JUCO instead), Philip McCandies (transfer)

VT 2007
Hank Thorns (transfer), Darrion Pellum (didn’t qualify), Dorenzo Hudson, Terrell Bell, Malcolm Delaney, JT Thompson (transfer), Gus Gilchrist (didn’t enroll), Jeff Allen

UVA 2006
Jerome Meyinsse, Will Harris (transfer), Johnnie Lett (transfer), Solomon Tat, Jamil Tucker (dismissed), (Scout incorrectly lists transfer Ryan Pettinella as a freshman for this year)

UVA 2010
Billy Baron (transfer), Akil Mitchell, James Johnson (transfer), K.T. Harrell (transfer), Joe Harris, Will Regan (transfer)

NCSU 2009
Deshawn Painter (transfer), Jordan Vandenberg, Josh Davis (transfer), Richard Howell, Lorenzo Brown (didn’t enroll until following year, NBA early-entry), Scott Wood

UNC 2002
Felton (early entry), McCants (early entry), May (early entry), Byron Sanders, Damion Grant (left team due to injury)

UNC 2005
Michael Copeland, Green, Hansbrough, Bobby Frasor, Marcus Ginyard

UNC 2006
Brandan Wright (NBA), Alex Stepheson (transfer), Deon Thompson, Wayne Ellington (NBA), Ty Lawson (NBA), Graves

UNC 2009
McDonald, Dex Strickland, Wear (transfer), Wear (transfer), Henson (NBA)

UM 2003
Anthony King, Greg Brown (didn’t enroll?), Guillermo Diaz (NBA), Yankuba Camara (didn’t enroll), Leonard Harden (transfer), Karron Clarke (transfer)

UMD 2002
Gilchrist (early entry), Chris McCray, Caner-Medley, Jamar Smith (JUCO transfer, played 2 years), Travis Garrison

UMD 2003
Ibekwe, Hassan Fofana (transfer), DJ Strawberry, Bowers, Michael Jones

UMD 2006
Bambale Osby (JUCO transfer, played 2 years), Vasquez, Jerome Burney (left team, injuries), Landon Milbourne, Eric Hayes

UMD 2007
Cliff Tucker, Shane Walker (transfer), Adrian Bowie, Dino Gregory, Braxton Dupree (transfer)

UMD 2010
Berend Weijs (2 years’ eligibility), Haukur Palsson (Europe), Pe’Shon Howard (transfer), Ashton Pankey (transfer), Mychal Parker (transfer), Terrell Stoglin (dismissed)

GT 2009
Daniel Miller, Derrick Favors (NBA), Glen Rice (dismissed), Mfon Udofia, Kammeon Holsey, Brian Oliver (transfer)

FSU 2008
Derwin Kitchen (3 years’ eligibility), Chris Singleton (NBA), Pierre Jordan (transfer), Dulkys, Xavier Gibson, Loucks

Duke 2002
Sean Dockery, Redick, Melchionni, Shav Randolph (undrafted early-entry), Shelden Williams, Mike Thompson (transfer)

Duke 2005
Pocius, Boateng (transfer), Boykin (transfer), McRoberts (NBA), Paulus

Clemson 2004
Jerome Johnson (didn’t qualify), Troy Mathis (transfer), Cliff Hammonds, Sam Perry, James Mays, Cheyenne Moore (transfer)

BC 2007
Biko Paris, Courtney Dunn, Josh Southern, Corey Raji, Rakim Sanders (transfer)

Dalbert's claim that CMM would be a potential early-entry candidate also struck me as dubious. For comparison's sake, I decided to look at his ACC scoring vs. that of our most recent early-entry guard, Jeff Teague. Below are listed each player's game-by-game ACC scoring, including ACCT, arranged from highest to lowest. For ease in comparison, I decided to bold the better score in each set.

CMM: 15, 15, 14, 14, 10, 9, 9, 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 2, 2, DNP
Teague: 27, 26, 25, 25, 20, 19, 18, 18, 17, 15, 15, 13, 12, 10, 6, 6, 6

The count comes out to: Teague- 17, CMM- 1 (by forfeit thanks to the 18-game schedule). Suffice to say that CMM has a long, long, long, long, long, long, long way to go before he'll be showing up on the NBA radar.

Last edited:
Dalbert's claim that CMM would be a potential early-entry candidate also struck me as dubious. For comparison's sake, I decided to compare his ACC scoring to that of our most recent early-entry guard, Jeff Teague. Below are listed each player's game-by-game ACC scoring, including ACCT, arranged from highest to lowest. For ease in comparison, I decided to bold the better score in each set.

CMM: 15, 15, 14, 14, 10, 9, 9, 8, 8, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 2, 2, DNP
Teague: 27, 26, 25, 25, 20, 19, 18, 18, 17, 15, 15, 13, 12, 10, 6, 6, 6

The count comes out to: Teague- 17, CMM- 1 (by forfeit thanks to the 18-game schedule). Suffice to say that CMM has a long, long, long, long, long, long, long way to go before he'll be showing up on the NBA radar.

As someone mentioned earlier, I think some Wake fans have simply forgotten what players with NBA potential look like. Thanks Buzz. Thanks Obama.

Pretty sure he did...those scores are arranged highest to lowest. DNP is obviously the lowest possible.

Oh crap my bad. For some reason I assumed they were in chronological order, and I didn't look close enough to notice they were in descending order. I'll pay attention next time.

My guess RJ would be a complete dismantling of the current roster is required. Devin will leave as soon as he gets the hint he can--so he could be gone after this year even if it is a bad decision. Others would likely be given an honest appraisal of their value to program and would leave 'voluntarily.' I also envision players being released from their LOI.

I can't see plugging in a new coach with the current roster/recruits working. Either we cycle 3-4 players off the roster or we won't be able to hire anyone worth being excited about. Bzzz and Ron have completely fucked the program over for long term success which is 180 degrees opposite of what they claim they are doing.

Or we could actually have ACC level talent next year for the first time in a while - Shelton, CMM, McClinton, Devin, Haas? Moto, Cav, Etc. coming off the bench. I lot of depth. Winning will help the recruiting after that.

Or we could actually have ACC level talent next year for the first time in a while - Shelton, CMM, McClinton, Devin, Haas? Moto, Cav, Etc. coming off the bench. I lot of depth. Winning will help the recruiting after that.

We had ACC level talent last year except in the first spot on the bench.

We had ACC level talent last year except in the first spot on the bench.

You're responding to Schwabber...he has spent the last few years smearing/blaming teenagers in order to protect [Redacted], a career loser who is earning crazy amounts of money to fail over and over. It's always "wait till next year" with him.

The irony is, now that it's "wait till next year" time of the year rather than blame the players time, he's praising the team for finally having ACC talent, when we really don't. Our recruiting has been an epic failure as well. All great kids, but just not good enough to go toe to toe with the best in the ACC, especially with the empty suit at the head of the bench.

You're responding to Schwabber...he has spent the last few years smearing/blaming teenagers in order to protect [Redacted], a career loser who is earning crazy amounts of money to fail over and over. It's always "wait till next year" with him.

The irony is, now that it's "wait till next year" time of the year rather than blame the players time, he's praising the team for finally having ACC talent, when we really don't. Our recruiting has been an epic failure as well. All great kids, but just not good enough to go toe to toe with the best in the ACC, especially with the empty suit at the head of the bench.

Do we have talent to be elite in the ACC? No, but I do think we have talent to be a competitive, mid pack team. Of course it's really hard to judge what we do have given our ineptness in the coaching department.

And agree that Buzzinners are all about taking the accountability away from the multi-millionaire coaches and administrators and putting it on the 18-19-20 year old kids. It's shameful.

And agree that Buzzinners are all about taking the accountability away from the multi-millionaire coaches and administrators and putting it on the 18-19-20 year old kids. It's shameful.

Yes, it is.

It is absolutely, unequivocally shameful.

It's not just BzzzInners. The same tactics have been used to defend our hoops and football coaches since I've been at Wake.

It's not just BzzzInners. The same tactics have been used to defend our hoops and football coaches since I've been at Wake.

This is true, but it seems to have taken a particularly bad turn with [Redacted].

Though I wasn't around for previous bball downturns.

We can't win in the ACC without size We didn't have a center last year and Wong have one this year - so Devin has to lay the 5 at 6'7" and Moto or Travis play the 4 at 6'5" or 6'6" Haas will remedy that problem and getting Green healthy would really help matters. We still could use another power player, but we are stuck with too many wings- mclinton, moto, Rountree and cavenaugh

Back