• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

So this is where we are, arguing if Chris Paul was really really good or just really good in high school.

Paul could take an inbounds pass of a made basket and hit a layup with 31 on the shot clock. Plenty fast.

Does this translate to "better than Ish, but maybe not as good as Teague"?

I don't really think of Teague as a pure point guard. He spent a lot of time off of the ball, arguably a majority of his time off of the ball. He's really emerged as a point guard in Atlanta, but he was more of a score-first combo at Wake, IMO.

If we're talking about great Wake lead guards, then I don't think Shelton will be as good as Teague or, even, Justin Gray. He might not even be as good as C.J. Harris, a player who could have been so much more on a team with a consistent post presence and a capable point guard.

That said, we really haven't had a pure point guard since Ish graduated. And, I think Shelton is going to be better than Ish. Before Ish, we went through the Gray/Hale/Dukes experiment. It shouldn't be too hard to top that.

So, yeah, that's where I'm coming from in terms of predicting that he'll be the best pure point since CP3.

So this is where we are, arguing if Chris Paul was really really good or just really good in high school.

Paul could take an inbounds pass of a made basket and hit a layup with 31 on the shot clock. Plenty fast.

I'll enter the following into evidence:

Let me know how many 6'0 point guards can make that happen.

LOL at "Chris Paul was not quick"...seriously Jaybone, just stop.

The best guards on the planet cannot stay in front of him; but I guess it depends on how you define "quick".

Oy. This is why Internet arguments can be such a clusterfuck. I say cp3 is elite not because of speed and ph gins that up to being a argument on whether he's good or really good.

I say cp3 did not have elite speed and the numbers show he was below average coming into the draft. But yet I'm ... Wrong? Okay

I do believe you can be quick without being fast but that is almost an argument on the definition of quick.

I guess I am very wrong on his ranking but I do think I am wrong on the timing. the facts are unc offered him a preferred walk on which doesn't happen if you are ranked 10 in te country.

All I'm really saying is that cp didn't get into the lane at will by blowing by defenders on college and he certainly doesn't today. He has elite body awareness and body control. Like Duncan. Like tparkerv. like James harden. Like deron Williams. Like Lionel messi.

Also the sky is blue during the daylight hours unless it is raining (racer and ph test)

Jaybone, I didn't gin up a discussion of whether or not Paul was ranked top 10 (really really good) or just merely top 25 or so (really good) and when.

I remember people laughing at the fact that UNC claimed to have offered Paul as a preferred walk-on.

C'mon, bone.

I know you are smart enough to follow the argument but I will reload:

Cp3 was an elite talent. Nba future guaranteed from day 1 at wake. But he was not recruited w that truth. Why? Because his elitism doesn't fit into the standard scouting measurables. That's my argument. Not that he's good or very good. He's elite. Not because of his size or speed. But for other non measurables I laid out. Body control. Body awareness.

Just stick to the argument instead of some bullshit good/very good tangent

It makes me feel a lot of people don't know what they are seeing when they watch games

He was recruited with that truth.

Others have posted recruiting profiles of Paul that included what you said. Other people besides you are allowed to be good at assessing talent.

CP3's "average speed" on display...

Goddamnit why did I watch the end of that clip?

"For Wake Forest this means potentially a #1 seed..."
Gminski: I don't think it's potentially...I don't see how it doesn't happen frankly.

:tear::sick::jerkit:

He was recruited with that truth.

Others have posted recruiting profiles of Paul that included what you said. Other people besides you are allowed to be good at assessing talent.

I don't think he was recruited w that truth, ph. Unc couldn't find a scholly for him. If everyone sees to as a top 10 talent you get an offer period. My memory is he was as low as the 60s until summer before senior year.

I'm just saying if folks are going to argue that cp3 had elite speed in college I don't know what to do w that. Because it's not true. Someone ask him. He'll tell ya

ESPN alone had him in the 60s ans apologized for it. UNC already had Felton.

Keep in mind how many people here saw Paul play in high school. You really think we are all wrong and you are right?

I see where Jay is coming from in that the argument is more nuanced than whether or not CP3 an elite athlete based solely on measurables. Absolutely as a HS player he was elite, for a college player he was well above average, and for an NBA first round PG he's pretty average. With that said, he applies his God given speed/explosiveness better than about anyone I've ever seen. The eyeball test says that Ish is faster on a straight line than CP3. However, Ish (especially early on) only knows one speed which makes his speed a lot easier to defend. It's not really quantifiable, but I agree with Jay that CP's body control and understanding on how to utilize his speed is truly elite.

I don't know (or care) where he was ranked when.

Back