• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

Just when you think Bz hits rock bottom in recruiting, he finds a way to tunnel deeper.

EJ Eaves was pretty damn unknown. He was not ranked by any service and I could hardly find out anything about him on the internet. He didn't seem to have any interest from even mid-majors unlike Hudson. He announced on twitter that he was coming to Wake before deleting the tweet a day or two later. Just looked him up and he is currently at Dodge City Community College.
Any idea what happened there, with the Eaves kid? Why did he think he had an offer?

I don't think it is super uncommon for an excited kid to mistake interest for an offer. Telep used to tweet out tips to recruits to remind them that there's a difference.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut [Redacted] is still the worst, right?

2016 PG Kwe Parker visiting Wake Forest on March 5th for the Duke game - 247sports.com/Player/Kwe-Par…

Minus the fraudulently part I have heard that is SOP from someone who worked in the treasury department for Wake for many years. As others have pointed out this is pretty much SOP for all Universities.

I know you are just trolling, but I don't think anyone is actually stating that the funds are being illegally diverted (though I guess PH is implying that). It is much like the lottery in NC. Yes, that money is earmarked to be applied directly to education. However, what that actually turns into is other funds being diverted away based on projected lottery gains, so the end result is that the lottery money goes wherever politicians want it to anyway.

I have a tough time believing that anybody donating to Wake really believes the money won't be used for an in designated purpose. They aren't that gullible.

Wake is required by law to restrict those funds to the designated purpose. Of course, they can always move around unrestricted funds to fund all requirements as long as they have the flexibility to do so.

Exactly. I don't think anybody really believes that they can starve the beast by not donating to basketball.

Are donations really changing the actual spending priorities of the athletic department?

I think the shifting dollars around thing is very true for operating funds, but in a capital campaign and with endowment funds, unrestricted funds are considerably less common and therefore there is not as much available to shift around. So yes, I think people not donating to basketball as part of Wake Will actually will, to some degree, starve the beast and impact basketball spending.

Also, for what it's worth, as of November, the overall Reynolda campus portion of WakeWill was slightly above the target that had been set for that point. Certain segments of the Reynolda campus campaign were below targets (the law school being one, albeit also slightly), but the overall campaign was above the benchmark. I did not see any athletics numbers, but if I had to make a guess, I would guess that Tin Cup's assessment is accurate - overall athletics are pretty close to target (if not exceeding it), but basketball is getting virtually nothing.

Battle didn't need/get a scholarship because he's a walk-on. There is no way State would even consider giving him a scholarship.

Uh, that's the point. We shouldn't be considering giving Hudson a scholarship either. Either the staff has lost their collective minds, the kid is misreading interest for an offer, or it's a preferred walk-on spot. Like Battle he's a 6'6" outside shooter who only scored 14 points per game in high school, had no other offers, and was unrated by any significant recruiting sites.

Maybe our staff has just gone full retard though.

Uh, that's the point. We shouldn't be considering giving Hudson a scholarship either. Either the staff has lost their collective minds, the kid is misreading interest for an offer, or it's a preferred walk-on spot. Like Battle he's a 6'6" outside shooter who only scored 14 points per game in high school, had no other offers, and was unrated by any significant recruiting sites.

Maybe our staff has just gone full retard though.

Sorry misunderstood your point. Unfortunately our staff has been full retard for the last 3 1/2 years.

Also laughing my ass off that Battle is listed as 6'6

Is Parker the player who's a package deal with another guy? If so, who's that other guy? Thanks.

There is enough talent in the 2016 Class in North Carolina alone to return us to being a national power. If Wellman makes the right hire, it's there for the taking.

Kwe Parker is the less highly regarded. The other part of the potential package deal is Dennis Smith, Jr who is a 5 star PG and being recruited by everyone. Those 2 and Giles along with Brandon Ingram would likely compete for a Natty. That would make up for the Ogden/Conley miss.

Back