• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

The new coach won't have an empty cupboard, at least!

...Positive thinking. It's a powerful bitch.....

Mr. Enfield just got a commitment from a top-50 PG in his class of 2014.

What chance did we have of getting Enfield in W-S?

No clue. The mythology on the boards probably feeds it as much as anything. Ron Wellman could have literally reached out and touched him. He watched him up close and probably thought to himself, whoever gets that coach is lucky. Good thing we have Bz.

You do know that he made serious money in business before he went back to coaching.

Not as much as was originally reported though.

We didn't try. That's the point. Wellman sat down near the guy and still thought, "man, Jeff is the one to get us back here".

Not as much as was originally reported though.

We didn't try. That's the point. Wellman sat down near the guy and still thought, "man, Jeff is the one to get us back here".

Celebrity Net Worth has him at 10 million but I wouldn't trust that if I was a lending officer.

Khadeen Carrington to Seton Hall per Zagoria.

MFD is now, really, our only option among 2014 SG prospects. I hope we show him a heck of a weekend.

Need to call Les Miles and Mike Gundy for some tips.

O'Mara is 6'9" and 250lbs, still growing into size 18 sneakers, solid and strong, offensive left tackle on football team.

O'Mara is 6'9" and 250lbs, still growing into size 18 sneakers, solid and strong, offensive left tackle on football team.

Unfortunately, we're out of play for him at this point. I really think that he would have been a great add for us as it's kind of hard to find utility post players who are ready to play right off the bat. Haas is going to be good IMO, but he isn't that kind of guy, but I think that we could have gotten key rotation minutes immediately from O'Mara.

This gets said a lot on this thread, but if only we had a few more schollies open for 2014... The effects of [Redacted]'s eight man class of 2012 are going to haunt us for a long time.

Also, I found these Jeff Goodman tweets interesting:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1h

Spoken to a bunch of coaches lately who honestly have NO clue where they stand with all these recruits. Never seen them in dark this much.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 1h

I think part of it has to do with social media -- coaches don't have much of a feel because much of communication is now via text.

I guess Stonz and Streezy are doing the Lord's work after all... Much to jaybone's chagrin, it also increases the utility of the recruiting analysts, IMO, as they actually seem to understand these changing forms of communication better than the coaches and "those close to the program."

And along these lines, it's remarkable just how dense Ron Wellman is when it comes to understanding how BCS coaching staffs should function in this day and age. Again, Goodman is really on point with the following:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 20h

Assistant Tony Bland pays immediate dividends for USC and Andy Enfield -- as the Trojans pick up a key recruit in PG Jordan McLaughlin.

I know there's a lot of love for Rusty and Chill on these boards, but it's just shocking how behind the times we are in regards to what we expect out of our coaching staff at this juncture. We're running two "legends" at the expense of seasoned assistants and it's really shown, IMO. Skip's assistants (and even Dino's) were professionals - they did work and the fruits of their labor paid off, again and again - and I feel like the [Redacted]-era really has been amateur hour in terms of his staff.

If Wellman prioritized getting energetic, skilled assistants - who, first and foremost, actually understand the recruiting landscape in their respective sports - in our (formerly) powerhouse programs, then our HC's lack of fire would be, at the very least, minimized. By taking a laissez-faire approach with Grobe, as of late (after telling him to clean house), and by handpicking human shields for [Redacted]'s bench, I think the recruiting, and by association, the future of the basketball (and football) programs have been really compromised.

The new coach won't have an empty cupboard, at least!

...Positive thinking. It's a powerful bitch.....

The next coach won't have an empty cupboard, but he'll have to figure out what to do when eight players graduate in 2015-2016. That's [Redacted]'s recruiting legacy as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, Shelton, Isaac, and MFD change that, but damn did Buzz put our program's future in a hole.

Also, in 2014 recruiting news, two low-priority (2014 post prospects committed elsewhere (we never offered): Zane Waterman (3-star PF) to Manhattan and Nick Gorski (UR PF/C) to Loyola MD.

ETA: Also, one-time 3-star PG recruit (and pre-Shelton offer) JaQuel Richmond committed to Houston.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I think a new coach starting in 2014 would like to have a bunch of experienced players and the ability to focus on recruiting hard for 2016 and 2017.

We'll still have to find a way to balance replacing eight players over two recruiting years while fielding a full and competitive roster.

IMO, it'll take a few post-grad transfers to supplement our class of 2014 (which is limited by schollie constraints) and class of 2015 (there's only one open schollie, if I'm interpreting the chart correctly - pending a transfer for three). Then, we'll have to avoid recruiting a huge block of players in 2016, so that we don't end up having to recruit another massive block of players in 2020-2021. Worst case, IMO, we'll want be back at an even-keel of three and four-man classes by 2017.

That's what I mean by the recruiting future being a bit compromised. It's just going to take a lot of maneuvering to get us back on track towards the type of recruiting stability we had under GDO and Skip.

I guess Stonz and Streezy are doing the Lord's work after all... Much to jaybone's chagrin, it also increases the utility of the recruiting analysts, IMO, as they actually seem to understand these changing forms of communication better than the coaches and "those close to the program."

I worked with stonz in the recruiting office for several months in 2011 and he truly does a phenomenal job for them. You guys can mock the title social media assistant/coordinator, but he (and I'm assuming Streezy is as well) is as knowledgeable as anyone about every recruit on our board. He really is an incredibly valuable member to our football program. With regards to helping coaches with Facebook/Twitter, etc. that's also extremely important as DM's on Twitter are unlimited, whereas texts are limited. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Back