• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

I agree with Strickland, but some of that "hype" seems a little overblown. Canaan as the 82nd best PG? 2-stars from Scout? That hardly seems like hype - after the top 50 or so players at a position I definitely think prognosticators have to start guessing a little. The time at which players hit maturity probably matters significantly past that point. These recruiting services aren't professional team front offices in baseball, for instance. National "cross-checking" is probably the most difficult thing those front offices do, and I can't imagine the guys at Scout have that capability beyond comparing YouTube videos.

Basically, anyone who is a 2* on Scout should be considered hypeless, imo. It's exceedingly rare that any player can't boast a letter, interest, or soft offer from some type of high major school.

We live in the age of the internet. Any information you could ever want about anyone is now on the web. If we wanted to find out what DV7 was for Halloween in 2004, we could find it (Harry Potter). That fact that the name Rondale Watson wasn't out there means he was completely off the radar. It means there was not a single scout or coach in the United States that even bothered to consider that this guy would be a legitimate collegiate basketball player. So while I hope the kid does well and I wish him the best as a WFU student and athlete, I'm not incredibly optimistic that it was Jeff [Redacted] who found him.

Bz has recruited 16 players now, not one a top fifty prospect. That is not acceptable. The basketball mags will start coming out soon showing how far we are from being a top 25 program.

We live in the age of the internet. Any information you could ever want about anyone is now on the web.

A similar statement to this is why I started looking into this in the first place. As I said several times, my posts were not meant to defend [Redacted]'s recruiting (forget that), but rather as an indictment of the recruiting websites. At first blush, it seems that Manhasset's statement should be true, but when it comes to bball recruiting, I don't think it is. It is remarkable looking at the different recruiting websites - they all rank essentially the same players and miss on the same players. I think the main reason this happens is because they all attend the same events. So, if a player is in the EYBL series and plays the Peach Jam, they are seen and evaluated, but if they don't play AAU, or more likely, they play AAU but their team isn't good enough for EYBL, then it is much less likely that they're evaluated and ranked. "Experts" from all recruiting sites watch the exact same games, so they come to the same conclusions. Plus, they probably just read each others sites for AAU events they couldn't attend. This leads to a relatively small pool of players being evaluated frequently, and, to me, an impressive number of recruits they miss. Not to beat a dead horse, but approaching half (17/44) of the players drafted this year were not in Rival's top 100.

Skip knew you had to recruit players with NBA potential. Do you think Acc coaches saw our latest recruit and said Wow that Bz has out smartest us again? No, they are just hoping they play us twice a season.

Reality check:

We got a 4 star PG that was top 50 when recruited & top 100 4 star center.

I'm not Bz in, but I don't have a problem with rolling the dice with an athletic SG with the 13th scholly. CMM is the starting SG for 3 more years, whereas PG and Center are ?

How many times have we pulled in a top 50 when there was really no chance of starting for a couple of years?

Rafi, you cannot defend the indefensible. So I don't think anybody thinks you are defending [Redacted]'s efforts/results in anything related to life.

How many times have we pulled in a top 50 when there was really no chance of starting for a couple of years?

Raw talent starts. A top 50 player would, in all likelihood, have more raw talent than just about anybody else on our roster.

Reality check: Our team isn't all that talented.

I like our players. We do need an NBA star, two actually, to have success. Devin might be one and I guess Shelton could be the other, don't know. Neither are obvious NBA stars though. DT gonna need a 15 foot money jumper first.

The problem I have with Bzd recruiting is that it's like he's recruiting for Oliver Purnell. Those Clemson teams had good college players who could run and play hounding defense and he would play 10 or 11 guys 15-25 minutes each. He also had one or two money 3-point shooters though. And - we don't play that style of ball. We play a standard style of ball that would make you think we expect to be the more talented team 25 of our 30 games and that's just not the case.

With our current cast of players, we have to go into every game thinking we HAVE to out hustle the other team in order to win and we don't play like that and don't seem coached to play like that.

I like our players. We do need an NBA star, two actually, to have success. Devin might be one and I guess Shelton could be the other, don't know. Neither are obvious NBA stars though. DT gonna need a 15 foot money jumper first.

The problem I have with Bzd recruiting is that it's like he's recruiting for Oliver Purnell. Those Clemson teams had good college players who could run and play hounding defense and he would play 10 or 11 guys 15-25 minutes each. He also had one or two money 3-point shooters though. And - we don't play that style of ball. We play a standard style of ball that would make you think we expect to be the more talented team 25 of our 30 games and that's just not the case.

With our current cast of players, we have to go into every game thinking we HAVE to out hustle the other team in order to win and we don't play like that and don't seem coached to play like that.

:rofl:

Reality check:

I'm not Bz in, but I don't have a problem with rolling the dice with an athletic SG with the 13th scholly. CMM is the starting SG for 3 more years, whereas PG and Center are ?

When you have a glaring need and no other scholarships for the following year, you don't take that chance. If we had three scholarships open in 2015, taking a shot of your description could easily be worthwhile.

When you don't have that latitude, it's a luxury you can't afford.

Without any question, he made the right and very mature choice in committing to Wake Forest. He and his family were 100% correct in what they decided.

I hope Rondale becomes a legendary Deac.

Last edited:
Well....................looks like I was wrong about it being Buck-Lowman, apologies for the misinformation. Anywho, go deacs

When you have a glaring need and no other scholarships for the following year, you don't take that chance. If we had three scholarships open in 2015, taking a shot of your description could easily be worthwhile.

When you don't have that latitude, it's a luxury you can't afford.

Without any question, he made the right and very mature choice in committing to Wake Forest. He and his family were 100% correct in what they decided.

I hope Rondale becomes a legendary Deac.

and I hope you fuck a Brazilian supermodel tonight. make that two brazilian supermodels and they both love anal.

good luck!

Reality check:

There is no chance that any top-50 talent looks at CMM, a combo guard who's rumored to want to play PG, averaged 8.1 ppg last year, and shot 32% from deep, and thinks, "No way I'm going to be able to beat that guy out!"

When BabyDeac says there will likely be major player turnover if Bz is retained,I believe him.

Our fanbase is miserable. Read the thread on TOB, where we "aren't entitled to a top-50 recruit, where Butler and VCU have gotten to the Final Four without NBA caliber recruits (lol), and where Rondale Watson is going to be somewhere between Isaiah Thomas and John Lucas III (both elite recruits).

What is wrong with Wake fans?

Our fanbase is miserable. Read the thread on TOB, where we "aren't entitled to a top-50 recruit, where Butler and VCU have gotten to the Final Four without NBA caliber recruits (lol), and where Rondale Watson is going to be somewhere between Isaiah Thomas and John Lucas III (both elite recruits).

What is wrong with Wake fans?

You're talking about a few dozen of our fanbase, the lunatic fringe, that believe that crap.

Well, some fans refuse to be objective about the state of the program. I used to be like that myself. But when Wellman had his opening press conference to announce Bz and was willing to lie in his official capacity as AD it was a shock to my system.

Back