• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Basically I asked him if he would use our NBA reputation to recruit kids who want to go to the NBA. He spent longer answering my question than anyone else's, probably 3-4 minutes, and he gave the most LOWF answer possible. The gist of his answer was that recruits these days are coddled/spoiled and he was going to recruit kids who worked hard and fit the culture here. He basically sounded like Bzz with a deeper voice. This isn't to say that I don't trust him or have faith in him, but I definitely don't expect him to make any waves on the recruiting trail with that approach.
I wouldn't assume it's certain that his quote accurately portrays his strategy. He's probably just saying what he thinks the AD and fans want to hear. I don't think there's too many coaches who don't try to get the best talent they can.

come on manning. Stack the cupboard with high upside talent.

You'd think Danny Manning would understand that hard work and NBA ambitions are not mutually exclusive.

The idea we shouldn't want to recruit kids who want to be at the top of their given profession as soon as they get good enough is ridiculous.

You'd think Danny Manning would understand that hard work and NBA ambitions are not mutually exclusive.

The idea we shouldn't want to recruit kids who want to be at the top of their given profession as soon as they get good enough is ridiculous.

I would have to think that he does. After all, his coaching future hinges upon finding such players. Fail at that in the ACC and you're done.

As retweeted by TITSWF:
Rick Lewis @Coach_Rick57
phenomhoopreport.com/ballislife-eas… Sources stating Johnson has received offer from WFU. Trying to confirm

Jalen Johnson (2016 SG/SF) is a teammate of Harry Giles (and a bunch of other ridiculously good players).

Hey that's awesome, he's real thin, but should but more weight on over the next couple of years. He has a good shooting stroke. He was basically a 3-pt shooter on a very talented team, but has the skills to do more and should play a major role with Theo Pinson, JaQuel Richmond and 5 other seniors graduating.

But, more importantly, good friends with Harry. He could be our Daquan Cook! (minus the bag of cash OSU probably gave)

The 15-16 recruits could and probably will define the next decade of Wake hoops.

Wish we could have gotten in on Rice transfer Sean Obi. Probably too late now, visiting Duke this week per Goodman.

Wish we could have gotten in on Rice transfer Sean Obi. Probably too late now, visiting Duke this week per Goodman.

This is the flip side of Coach K taking one and dones. Brilliant strategy.

I wouldn't assume it's certain that his quote accurately portrays his strategy. He's probably just saying what he thinks the AD and fans want to hear. I don't think there's too many coaches who don't try to get the best talent they can.

Bingo. Sometimes in a presser you don't say what you really mean. You don't want to announce that you will compromise some academic standards when that is exactly what you will do for the right kid. But you don't tell everyone that. That being said, I think everyone has learned to stay away from "bad apples" because they kill your locker room. The NFL and NBA are really learning they don't want problems in their locker rooms. Still trying to figure out exactly what DeSean Jackson did. At any rate, I don't like the word "culture" at all. I hope DM gets away from that. I do like "good kids who work hard," even if they don't have the best grades, and we don't even have to worry about SAT's anymore. I also don't want a Kentucky/Calipari model at Wake either, but certainly have no problem with landing some 1 or 2 and dones. It is reality now, and kids should go for guaranteed money if they are good enough. I would.

Bingo. Sometimes in a presser you don't say what you really mean. You don't want to announce that you will compromise some academic standards when that is exactly what you will do for the right kid. But you don't tell everyone that. That being said, I think everyone has learned to stay away from "bad apples" because they kill your locker room. The NFL and NBA are really learning they don't want problems in their locker rooms. Still trying to figure out exactly what DeSean Jackson did. At any rate, I don't like the word "culture" at all. I hope DM gets away from that. I do like "good kids who work hard," even if they don't have the best grades, and we don't even have to worry about SAT's anymore. I also don't want a Kentucky/Calipari model at Wake either, but certainly have no problem with landing some 1 or 2 and dones. It is reality now, and kids should go for guaranteed money if they are good enough. I would.

My thing is, if the kid is capable and has the DESIRE to be a student at a school like Wake. Desire and wanting it are not things that can be taught and if they are capable/supported, they will do fine at WFU.

Back