• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread - Crawford, Moore, & Collins ALL TO WAKE!

Refreshing to be at least mentioned with 5-star recruits. Both excerpts from CBS Sports.

Jayson Tatum

"Tatum has plenty of suitors, with Wake Forest, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan State, Kansas, and Saint Louis in heavy pursuit recently."

Edrice Adebayo

"North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Mississippi State, and Old Dominion are on him right now, according to his mentor."

Wilbekin feels like a [name redacted] type recruit.

Mitchell was a [Redacted] recruit.

The odds that any of these guys are program changers is pretty small. Do what we need to fill out a roster and save the scholarships for 2015 and 2016.

Why would a coach at QEA have any idea what Danny Manning thinks about current recruits?

He was only saying what he felt, not what Danny Manning actually said. I really think the coach was saying if it were him that he would choose Wilbekin over Shelton

Mitchell was a [Redacted] recruit.

The odds that any of these guys are program changers is pretty small. Do what we need to fill out a roster and save the scholarships for 2015 and 2016.

2015? Possibly.

There is no point in saving ships for 2016. We are going to have 7 ships to offer to that class.

Funny how new this is to Wake fans. We retained Dino to keep recruits, retained most of a coaching staff when [Redacted] was hired to retain recruits...

Right or wrong on the Wilbekin/Moto stuff, Manning is clearly building his team. No sign of Wellman's hands anywhere near these decisions. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and just enjoy the fact that we're not simply following the path laid out by the worst run of Wake basketball in history.

Funny how new this is to Wake fans. We retained Dino to keep recruits, retained most of a coaching staff when [name redacted] was hired to retain recruits...

Right or wrong on the Wilbekin/Moto stuff, Manning is clearly building his team. No sign of Wellman's hands anywhere near these decisions. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and just enjoy the fact that we're not simply following the path laid out by the worst run of Wake basketball in history.

You're off on this. The issue isn't that Manning is building his team, it's which current players and commits he is using to build his team. There isn't going to be much cheering for dropping Moto and Mitchell unless some combination of Jones, Overton, Rondale, and Washington go with them.

DM is clearly right on the Moto stuff if Baby's story is accurate.

We don't know if if DM deserves our trust in these types of decisions, but it would have been easy for him to suck up to our highest rated recruit and maintain status quo as the new guy but instead he used his own evaluation of the situation. That type of thinking is good, although we don't know if this specific decision was good.

You're off on this. The issue isn't that Manning is building his team, it's which current players and commits he is using to build his team. There isn't going to be much cheering for dropping Moto and Mitchell unless some combination of Jones, Overton, Rondale, and Washington go with them.

The players with options are leaving. The players who don't have anywhere comparable to go are clinging on for dear life. DM can't control that.

ESPN Rankings of our likely 2014 prospects. Am I forgetting anyone? ESPN seems to think our Mitchell for Mitchell trade wouldn't be a good one. Not as bad as a Mitchell for nobody trade though...

Shelton Mitchell (3***, Grade 79, #26 Overall PG in Class of 2014)

Jordan Cornish (3***, Grade 76, #32 Overall SG in Class of 2014)

Mitchell Wilbekin (2**, Grade 69, #61 Overall PG in Class of 2014)

Rondale Watson (Not Rated - SG)

That's not really how it works though. Rondale is signed. Manning goes after who he wants and guess who's going to drop? The unknown who's just happy to have a spot or the guy who thought he was guaranteed a starting spot and has a bunch of great offers?

You go after who you want and the fallout is what it is. Manning can't just dump a signed recruit, and he can't just bounce Madison Jones before we have a single backup point guard actually coming to Wake.

I get that fans on this board will bash a coach for dumping kids then demand our own coach to do it when it suits us. If it was as easy as dumping poor players and replacing them by signing great ones, none of the big programs would ever have any mediocre players. And Wake isn't even a good program right now. You can't keep drop Madison instead of Mitchell and recruit Wilbeken. He'd just go to UVA.

The choice isn't who you lose, it's who you legitimately go after.

It's not just about right now in May 2014. It's the moves that Manning makes over the next two years. Your argument is that we shouldn't be skeptical about Moto and Mitchell leaving and to trust in Manning. Well, we need to see what other moves he is making to have confidence he's doing the right thing. That includes what he does with Rondale next year. That includes a late 2014 signee and potential fallout. That includes what he does with Green. He has to earn our trust with early moves much like Clawson did with pre-NSD recruiting.

I love it when you rephrase something as almost the exact opposite of what I said.

What I said was that he may be wrong in the Mitchell Wilbekin fallout, and I didn't say anything about whether "we" as in other fans shouldn't be skeptical. Of course we should be skeptical, Mitchell is ranked much higher. I'm simply saying that personally I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now because I much prefer a coach to come in and make decisions - not to let a previous coach's choices dictate his first 2 years.

As a fanbase, I do think it's odd that people are surprised, shocked, bent out of shape, etc - that an incoming coach would make decisions that would shake up our roster and put players we like at risk. That's what normally happens. You demand a coaching change, that's what you get. And based on our past two hires that combined for 1 ACC tournament win and 1 NCAA tournament win, I think it's especially strange. But that's just me.

I realize, Ph, that Danny Manning has to "earn" your trust through years of excellent decision making. This is why our opinions on coaches and their decisions differ so drastically. I look at what Manning was handed and the decision that he had to make to get a real shooting guard and I'm ok with this move, even if it costs us Shelton. You want to wait until after it does or doesn't pan out and then render a verdict, sitting on the fence until then.

DC, I judge our coaches by the decisions they make. You judge them by the WF logo on their polo. You'd think after years of going back and forth about Grobe only to find out that he was letting the program atrophy right in front of your eyes, you'd change your approach.

Back