• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Why would DSJ want to go to State over Wake if he is given the opportunity to play with Giles and Bam at Wake? I have looked at it a lot of different ways and it just doesn't make sense for him to go to State unless he is just in love with State/Gott/State's team/etc., which I guess could be the case. I feel like if he is going to be a one and done, putting together the team at Wake and going for a Natty for a year has to outweigh what State has to offer. Those Wake vs. Duke games that year could be just nasty.

Why would DSJ want to go to State over Wake if he is given the opportunity to play with Giles and Bam at Wake? I have looked at it a lot of different ways and it just doesn't make sense for him to go to State unless he is just in love with State/Gott/State's team/etc., which I guess could be the case. I feel like if he is going to be a one and done, putting together the team at Wake and going for a Natty for a year has to outweigh what State has to offer. Those Wake vs. Duke games that year could be just nasty.
Adidas. And I'm not sure a Wake team with Harry/DSJ/Bam is better than a State team with DSJ/Bam. Certainly can't say that definitively.

Last edited:
I think we can reasonably expect that State's supporting cast next year will be better than ours.

Adidas. And I'm not sure a Wake team with Harry/DSJ/Bam is better than a State team with DSJ/Bam. Certainly can't say that definitively.

Seems nuts to really speculate either way. Harry seems like the kind of player that would elevate the talent around him, to be sure.

Seems nuts to really speculate either way. Harry seems like the kind of player that would elevate the talent around him, to be sure.

Which may have factored into Childress and Kwe's falling rankings.

Come on, RJ. Just come back already.

RJKarl said:
Harry/Dennis/Bam is definitively better than anything State or anyone else can put on the court. When you add the clear #1 player in the country to any starting line-up, you are definitively better in basketball.

It's just that simple.
State with DSJ and Bam would be:

DSJ
Terry Henderson
Maverick Rowan
Bam
Abdul-Malik Abu
Martin twins, Barber (potentially), Freeman, and Anya off the bench

That's a stacked team. Harry is the #1 player in the country, but WCA wasn't even able to win the high school state championship with him this year. He's not a miracle worker. I won't put up much of an argument if you think Wake would be better, but you can't say that with 100% certainty.

Do we have an actual contract with a term on it with Nike, or is it just an ongoing relationship? If I were Manning I would make the switch in a heartbeat if that is the deciding factor in getting Smith and Giles as a package deal. I don't give a shit who makes the shirt if it has an ACC Championship or pray to God a National Championship logo on it.

Last edited:
BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16 - Giles's OV (9/19) & Wake makes Bolden's top-7!...

Giles is Nike. And you don't change your brand for one recruit.

It affects every sport and having Nike is one of the only positives we've had in the past few years. Teams are switching from Adidas to UA all over the place.

Which recruits have we gotten specifically due to our Nike contract?

I'm not saying that we are getting recruits specially because of Nike, but in general people from all sports enjoy the Nike gear they get and the jerseys they provide for us. There would be no bump from moving elsewhere.

Ok. But if people are saying we don't have a chance with Smith and Bam due to Adidas, which recruits have we had the best chance with due to Nike?

State fans complain pretty regularly that Adidas hurts their recruiting. This year is a very notable exception to that.

Last edited:

DSJ
Terry Henderson
Maverick Rowan
Bam
Abdul-Malik Abu

That's a stacked team. Harry is the #1 player in the country, but WCA wasn't even able to win the high school state championship with him this year. He's not a miracle worker. I won't put up much of an argument if you think Wake would be better, but you can't say that with 100% certainty.

Giles is also a much different player than he was when he was playing with WCA. Every article I have read has said he exploded after the high school season and is just a monster/clear #1 player in the country now. If you put Bam and DSJ around him so that teams can't just double team him, I think that is going to make him unstoppable.

Hey coach Clawson - we need you to give Nike a call and tell them we are sending our custom football jerseys back. DSJ like Adidas.

Giles is also a much different player than he was when he was playing with WCA. Every article I have read has said he exploded after the high school season and is just a monster/clear #1 player in the country now. If you put Bam and DSJ around him so that teams can't just double team him, I think that is going to make him unstoppable.

Agreed, he definitely seemed tentative in that championship game (first time playing without his knee brace since his surgery, which was an accident iirc since his Dad thought the tourney was being played at another school) and I also didn't think the coaching staff did a particularly good job of really getting him a lot of touches. I recall a lot of gymrats forcing up 3s for a lot of the game that just weren't dropping at all.

DSJ
Terry Henderson
Maverick Rowan
Bam
Abdul-Malik Abu

Maybe I'm missing something but what you're quoting from RJ seems to say that we would have Harry/Dennis/Bam in that scenario.

Back