• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

for destroying Wake's premier brand, not sure why that is hard to figure out. [name redacted] sucked but he took advantage of opportunity most would. We've gone from a perennial NCAA Tournament program to the cellar of our conference and have been there for a considerable amount of time. The individual whose decisions have led to this point is still being paid handsomely and is lauded by our board. It's infuriating and mind boggling

Last edited:
dumpsterfire.jpg

for destroying Wake's premier brand, not sure why that is hard to figure out. [Redacted] sucked but he took advantage of opportunity most would

It was an atrocious hire. No one denies that. But NCSU got over the Lowe era quickly with Gott. UNC got over Doherty. KY got over Gillespie. One bad hire should not kill a program. The blame everything Manning does on Wellman or [Redacted] is a crutch IMO

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16 - Koby McEwen chooses Utah State. Giles visiting...

After another year, yes. 18 months into the job, no. The brand is tainted beyond those examples. I'm a believer in a honeymoon class but Manning wasn't left with much to win on his own.

Last edited:
It was an atrocious hire. No one denies that. But NCSU got over the Lowe era quickly with Gott. UNC got over Doherty. KY got over Gillespie. One bad hire should not kill a program. The blame everything Manning does on Wellman or [name redacted] is a crutch IMO

comparing Wake vs. UNC and Kentucky is a horrible comparison. Those are two of the best programs of all-time and can recover significantly faster than a Wake Forest can with their ability to recruit. If you read my post, I didn't say Manning was blameless but he's selling a brand that is completely different than the one that was top-5 in the country, consistently beating the Unc's and Duke's, and was a national brand just 10 years ago.

One bad hire shouldn't kill a program, but I stand behind what I said when [name redacted] was hired - it was a mistake that will take Wake a decade to recover. That was before realizing Wellman would sit on his error for 4 years.

Last edited:
As I said and was mocked for, we should have yanked the offer once he failed to commit following his visit, as it was clear this was going to happen. We put on a show with not one but two NBA HOFers, and we end up standing outside with our dick in the wind. Jesus H, I didn't think it was possible to look worse than we did with Bzz, but this may be it. I don't think I even knew Utah State had a basketball team before this kid had an offer from them.

comparing Wake vs. UNC and Kentucky is a horrible comparison. Those are two of the best programs of all-time and can recover significantly faster than a Wake Forest can with their ability to recruit. If you read my post, I didn't say Manning was blameless but he's selling a brand that is completely different than the one that was top-5 in the country, consistently beating the Unc's and Duke's, and was a national brand just 10 years ago.

One bad hire shouldn't kill a program, but I stand behind what I said when [name redacted] was hired - it was a mistake that will take Wake a decade to recover. That was before realizing Wellman would sit on his error for 4 years.

UNC and KY are just two I remembered off the top of my head. I Also compared to the honeymoon period Gott got at State. I'm sure there are others.

Again, a really bad hire. I was just hoping Manning was good enough to overcome it in recruiting. So far he has shown otherwise.

If McEwen chose USU over Wake then clearly he is not confident enough to play for the Demon Deacons. That's like settling for road kill as opposed to filet mignon. Playing in the ACC vs the Mountain West conference? Dreams of the NBA? TV exposure? Dude, are you kidding me? His offer list was steadily growing and cashed in on the worst basketball school on his list. Clearly there is some other agenda here as referenced above. Girl, friend, peer pressure, something. This guy is not thinking strategically long term for his possible future basketball career. Utah State is where basketball players go to major in anonymity.

He will be the MAN at UTAH STATE. Wake he will see the floor 5-9 minutes a game.

Fuck it all to hell. Utah fucking State? What in the fucking fuck?

There's really no in between at this point. We either get Giles and his boys or we strike out On everyone in what seemed to be such a promising off season.

Dude, this guy got to play pick up with Timmy D and CP3 on his visit and picked fucking UTAH STATE over Wake. That is hard to fathom. It's hard to blame this on Manning. Giles was there too. This is a major head scratcher. Maybe he doesn't want to play against top competition? Bike accident? No fucking idea.

Maybe the case of rather being a big fish in a little pond vs little fish in a big pond.
You recruiting guys know a lot more than me, but I'm not too depressed in our situation. A lot of time remaining for 2016 and big fish are still out there, plus time for some more to come forward/develop.

As I said and was mocked for, we should have yanked the offer once he failed to commit following his visit, as it was clear this was going to happen. We put on a show with not one but two NBA HOFers, and we end up standing outside with our dick in the wind. Jesus H, I didn't think it was possible to look worse than we did with Bzz, but this may be it. I don't think I even knew Utah State had a basketball team before this kid had an offer from them.

Yanking the offer wouldn't have saved any face. It's still a kid we offered and wooed, we still didn't get him. Whether his offer was still good or already pulled when he chose elsewhere is kinda semantics. We wanted him and he chose Utah St.

Seems to be more and more likely that if (when) we don't get Giles, the dropoff before whomever we might next continues to grow. Plus, puts even greater pressure on the 17 class to be very, very good.

Giles is the shot in the arm Wake needs. Otherwise it's a lost decade. I fucking hate [Redacted] and his BFF Wellman for what they have done.

Back