• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Harry liked Kansas and was treated very well there...he likes Self and he liked the atmosphere but Kansas is a loooooong way from home and it would be difficult for his parents, who work, to make a lot of his games. The fact that Danny Manning is a legend at Kansas & his jersey/pic are displayed in the Phog helped validate Manning (remember- Harry wasn't alive to witness Danny & the Miracles)

Had a long discussion about Harry today when I got the lowdown on Kansas...In his opinion (which is based on what he's observed), the only question mark that surrounds Wake Forest is Manning's experience. While Danny Manning had a successful career in college and the NBA, he is basically an unknown in the college coaching world. Moderate success at Tulsa before moving to the ACC and taking on the LARGE task of revitalizing a proud basketball program...a concern among the Giles camp (which is pretty much his dad because mom is sold). It's a gamble, but Harry will be a 1st round pic no matter where he plays ball. The question is...can Danny help him become an NBA All-Star? An NBA legend? If he had a better resume, I think Harry would have already given his verbal to WFU.

Likewise, all of the talent at dook does not equal a championship...K has choked many times in the dance when he was expected to make a deep run and favored to be in the final four. Those instances have exposed K's weakness- which is making a team out of a group of stars.

From what I heard, Kansas isn't a threat and announcement day will still be in November.

Strongly disagree with disparaging Coach K right there. The man has been to 12 final fours, I think that speaks for itself. Has some talented teams we've had fail to make it? Yes, but you can say that about any school and coach, though. Sean Miller's had a ton of talent and not a final four to speak of, I think that's much more damning. Even Calipari failed to get to the final four on a team that had John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. But Coach K has proven he can take a team of freshman and win a national championship with them. I don't think there's any legitimate way to attack him from that angle and if Harry chooses to attend somewhere other than Duke I doubt it will have anything remotely to do with anything related to Coach K's coaching acumen.

Would it be safe to say that the Giles camp will be watching the early part of the season to see how the team has progressed under Manning? Will that play a significant role in the decision?

I don't know how much they'll be watching. Harry has spent so much time with the coaches already...maybe they'll be watching to see how the new guys blend? The talent level?

Harry was watching the staff last year, for sure.

Still trying to find out if he'll be at Wake next Friday. God, I hope so.

Strongly disagree with disparaging Coach K right there. The man has been to 12 final fours, I think that speaks for itself. Has some talented teams we've had fail to make it? Yes, but you can say that about any school and coach, though. Sean Miller's had a ton of talent and not a final four to speak of, I think that's much more damning. Even Calipari failed to get to the final four on a team that had John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. But Coach K has proven he can take a team of freshman and win a national championship with them. I don't think there's any legitimate way to attack him from that angle and if Harry chooses to attend somewhere other than Duke I doubt it will have anything remotely to do with anything related to Coach K's coaching acumen.

Thanks for your input, dook fan. I'm only repeating the conversation that I had with someone in the Giles camp. His observation...and it has surely been discussed privately.

Maybe you can present this argument to him when he's at Cameron on Oct. 30. But don't where a costume. I've heard Harry rag on the weirdo costume wearers at dook.

Thanks for your input, dook fan. I'm only repeating the conversation that I had with someone in the Giles camp. His observation...and it has surely been discussed privately.

Maybe you can present this argument to him when he's at Cameron on Oct. 30. But don't where a costume. I've heard Harry rag on the weirdo costume wearers at dook.

Sorry but you are straining credibility if you are claiming that Giles' family thinks Coach K's resume is somehow a weakness. There's plenty of reasons Harry might go to Wake over Duke but it won't be because he doubts Coach K's coaching ability. I'm not even saying he won't think Manning could be a better coach for him, but he's not thinking Coach K can't get the job done.

Last edited:
Sorry but you are straining credibility if you are claiming that Giles' family thinks Coach K's resume is somehow a weakness. There's plenty of reasons Harry might go to Wake over Duke but it won't be because he doubts Coach K's coaching ability. I'm not even saying he won't think Manning could be a better coach for him, but he's not thinking Coach K can't get the job done.

I don't think he said Giles' family said it was a weakness, he said that K having lots of talent on the roster is not a gaurantee of succes, making the final 4 or winning a Natty. All that means is that GI les realizes he is not choosing between winning a title at Dook and being a home town hero at Wake...only one of those two things is gauranteed if he makes the right choice.

I don't think he said Giles' family said it was a weakness, he said that K having lots of talent on the roster is not a gaurantee of succes, making the final 4 or winning a Natty. All that means is that GI les realizes he is not choosing between winning a title at Dook and being a home town hero at Wake...only one of those two things is gauranteed if he makes the right choice.

I agree the hometown hero angle is unique, and that Duke fans understand we'd have to overcome that because Wake will always have that trump card, and are hoping his statements on the record about wanting to win a championship in college, even if not guaranteed, are compelling enough.

I will say that it might not make a HUGE difference, but it will definitely make a very noticeable difference in his game learning from manning vs. K. Here is my reasoning: Danny Manning was one of the best college players to ever play the game, and he is almost exactly the same player as Harry is. When Danny got to the NBA, he had knee injuries that would ruin the careers of most players; however, Danny has spoken openly on the subject and said that the injuries made him a significantly smarter player. That is the reason why he had such a long NBA career. He learned to study his opponent and almost predict what he was going to do before he did it (studying where he held the ball, foot movement, etc.) which made him a great defender. He also taught himself to study defensive tendencies and styles of the players he would be playing against so that he would continue to be as effective as he could after his severe knee injuries. Not to mention his prowess in rebounding and teaching rebounding skills (see how improved our team was last year from the years before). Danny can teach all these things to Harry better than anyone else because he experienced it first hand. Combine the way Manning's mentality and the way he played ball with Giles physical attributes and pure basketball skill and Harry will be even more of a monster than he already is.
Just my two cents.

Reading 101. Go back and read the original post.

Not my opinion. It has been discussed as a drawback to playing at dook. THEY see it as a problem.

I only see K for what he really is.

A vampire.

Not my opinion. It has been discussed as a drawback to playing at dook. THEY see it as a problem.

A vampire.

ETA: no one ever said K's resume was a weakness, just that his all-star college team is no guarantee of a championship. KY had the best roster in college basketball last year, but they flamed out. Giles and his family are making a decision on who will train him and get him ready for the NBA.

Why are you posting on these boards boy? Get outta here you K slurping rat fucker

A vampire.

What specifically is the drawback, though?

I could believe "just amassing lots of talent doesn't mean Duke will win" is a very reasonable thought that could have been discussed among Giles' people.

anything along the lines of "Dook and Coach Kay sure choke a lot when they should be in the final four", however, is not anything the Giles camp is talking about, and any innuendo surrounding that is the result of biased fan perception.

Why are you posting on these boards boy? Get outta here you K slurping rat fucker

I like getting multiple perspectives, and i'm sure some, even if not a majority, appreciate the Duke perspective of the recruitment. I'm not one of those posters who stick to their own echo chamber, which can lead to very misleading beliefs. The rah rah stuff gets old after a while.

Other fan perspectives are welcome providing they are not assholes. We shouldn't be assholes either.

Judging solely by the fact that RJ is the most outspoken member of the Wake community on the duke boards, I'm not sure this bro represents the best that duke has to offer.

I like getting multiple perspectives, and i'm sure some, even if not a majority, appreciate the Duke perspective of the recruitment. I'm not one of those posters who stick to their own echo chamber, which can lead to very misleading beliefs. The rah rah stuff gets old after a while.

Other fan perspectives are welcome providing they are not assholes. We shouldn't be assholes either.

You son boys related?

I think the Duke posters are getting scared. Why come here now as opposed to any time in the last year or so?

You son boys related?

I think the Duke posters are getting scared. Why come here now as opposed to any time in the last year or so?

Haha one son sticking up for another. The guy has been respectful. So he deserves the same.

Rational duke fans are probably nervous. They know it has not and will not be easy. At this point as much as k wants giles he wants him out of conference just as much. He probably wants to win the recruiting battle more than he actually want giles to play for him. If nothing else k is a competitive sob.

Back