• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

I heard a couple things this morning which are very, very damning if true. I don't want this tied to my main username, so I'm relaying via a parody.

We wanted Harry, we fought for Harry, and Harry wanted us. In the end, it came down to something so fucking simple, it's maddening. Manning couldn't guarantee Harry's admission to Wake because he couldn't grant an academic exception, and Duke could. Apparently, Harry's grades and test scores aren't up to par for a typical Wake student. RivalsLess mentioned a handful of pages back that he would be surprised if Harry could graduate in December. It make sense.

If true, we might as well shutter up the doors and say fuck it. If we want to compete for elite players, we have to step up and take chances. Someone else mentioned a while back that Dino realized what needed to be done with exceptions in order to compete with the big boys, and it was a fight that ultimately led to his firing. Harry is a one and done, he'd only be here one semester. Whether it's the AD or Admissions, heads need to roll.

I am 100% calling BS on this

and supported by big money backers. those guys are the true idiots.

FACT - Wake still admits partial qualifiers, not a lot of them, but it still does happen.

Guys it is simple. Giles picked Duke because it is duke and he wants to have a chance at a National Championship in his one and only year. I am disappointed and had hoped he would be different than most kids only caring about themselves and see the greater impact he could have at Wake. But he was not and did not. So now I hope he gets lost in the Kmbig man system, overshadowed by K and the team, fails to win in the NCAA and leaves Duke highly unfulfilled for a mediocre career in the NBA.

I find it unlikely that DM is better at evaluating talent than any other coach. He's been desperate and has taken risks that good programs don't have to take.
The player with the lowest ranking this year might be the best of the 3 and a beast...and he was outside the top 100 RSCI. All 3 of his recruits last year were considered surprises last year by this dude. None were top 100 RSCI.

So all 4 players outside the top 100 seem to be playing very well for him. I think he's good at finding talent that fits him and what he wants to do.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/236125/Freshmen-With-A-Surprise-Impact

Guys it is simple. Giles picked Duke because it is duke and he wants to have a chance at a National Championship in his one and only year. I am disappointed and had hoped he would be different than most kids only caring about themselves and see the greater impact he could have at Wake. But he was not and did not. So now I hope he gets lost in the Kmbig man system, overshadowed by K and the team, fails to win in the NCAA and leaves Duke highly unfulfilled for a mediocre career in the NBA.

This reflects a problem with expectations held by wake fans. Most people on this board spent the last year obsessing about what Giles would do for the Wake program and expected Giles to feel the same way/care to the same degree as devout wake fans did. Far less time was spent realistically evaluating what Wake would provide Giles. Yeah yeah, a loving fan base, status as a "legend" for his one year in the LOWF program, a coach that "was the exact same player Giles is now" - all very nice but built up in the minds of wake fans as more significant than they actually were...and not close to outweighing the weaknesses of the wake program or the strengths of elite programs like Duke.

This reflects a problem with expectations held by wake fans. Most people on this board spent the last year obsessing about what Giles would do for the Wake program and expected Giles to feel the same way/care to the same degree as devout wake fans did. Far less time was spent realistically evaluating what Wake would provide Giles. Yeah yeah, a loving fan base, status as a "legend" for his one year in the LOWF program, a coach that "was the exact same player Giles is now" - all very nice but built up in the minds of wake fans as more significant than they actually were...and not close to outweighing the weaknesses of the wake program or the strengths of elite programs like Duke.
#scoops

As far as HG's personal development, I believe he made the wrong choice. Do you see K as a great or even good developer of players? Great team coach, absolutely. Great developer of individual talent, not so much. K will sacrifice the development of an individual player for the good of the team. The correct move concerning the team but not necessarily for the individual player. However, great talent does lead to a great team, and K has had some great teams.

Last edited:
As far as HG's personal development, I believe he made the wrong choice. Do you see K as a great or even good developer of players? Great team coach, absolutely. Great developer of talent, not so much. However, great talent does lead to a great team, and K has had some great teams.

I am just as pissed as anyone that HG went with Dook, but let's be honest...Manning's player development resume is far shorter than even coach K's. Your right that K has a history of squandering individual talent, but if that was the sole concern in Harry's decision, Kentucky should her been his destination, not Wake. Manning is/was theoretically the best coach for HG but the empirical support for that theory is sparse.

Few things could be more overrated than how much Harry Giles will "develop" as a player during a single college season. He's going to spend the majority of the time leading up to his freshman year in rehab, then it'll be one whirlwind season and it's off the the NBA where he will actually develop.

The smartest thing about the Duke choice is that he could suffer a setback in his knee, miss some games, and they'll still make the tournament - likely with a very high seed. At Wake there'd be no such cushion. I certainly wish he'd been the type of person who'd rather be a leader and represent his hometown, help jump start the program he grew up supporting, etc... But he's just not that guy. Disappointing but hard to blame him.

Back