• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Nobody likes to burn bridges in their hometown. Especially when Chris Paul is on the other side. Obviously cp3 isn't going to hate Giles if he doesn't choose wake, but Giles will have severed a connection to one of his idols. He won't be able to share that bond comradery if he attends duke. They might be friends but it will be different. I think that is our best asset right now. Cp3 is going to make the difference. We will get Giles.

This. I think it's a real possibility.

Either way, big next few months for the Manning regime. Harry would be a huge step forward into re-legitimizing the program. He would probably drag at least one other T50 recruit with him.

If we don't get HG though, I don't think its the end of the world. If Manning can get us back to landing T100 kids every year, we will be back in the top half of the ACC and tourney bound, it will just be a slower road than landing a huge blue chipper.

I think he is up to it.

No chance we are national title contenders in 2016.

Hell, Wesleyan didn't win the private NC championship with 3 of the top players in the state on the court.

Exactly. Giles isn't going to be instant championship at Wake because he hasn't done that in high school or his aau team. Some folks seem to think anywhere he goes is automatically a title contender.

Hoping that Giles might feel some competitive juices against Tatum after this weekend's tournament.

Saw this on Twitter yesterday

CJuVPSPXAAEcvxB.jpg

Exactly. Giles isn't going to be instant championship at Wake because he hasn't done that in high school or his aau team. Some folks seem to think anywhere he goes is automatically a title contender.

I'd say most anyone who is lucky enough to have Giles for a year becomes a title contender. Top 20 teams are contenders and Wake would be top 20 id say. We have 3 studs coming in this year that may be better than anyone on our current team sans Codi.

Shhh, don't tell RJ. He's the best high school prospect since LeBron (yet scored only 11 points in a high school state championship game). Love Harry, but he's not a transcendant talent.

We'd be WAY too young to contend for a title. If that's what it comes down to, then it's a no brainer. Putting us back on the map isn't "winning a title." Hell, a sweet 16 would be amazing...even if he just gets us back into the tourney, he will have moved our program ahead 2 years imo. (I've always thought it would take AT LEAST 5 years for us to recover from name redacted.)

Last edited:
CP3 doesn't have to push Wake to be a strong influence towards Wake. Harry knows if he chooses Wake he can expect regular conversations about the games, cheering him on, urging him to beat Carolina, beat Duke, etc... They will share war stories. They will come back and do camp visits, alumni promos. They two will be linked for the rest of their lives. If Harry chooses Duke he loses that connection. Instead he gets to bond with JJ Redick. I mean I guess thats cool an all. :cool:

Either way, big next few months for the Manning regime. Harry would be a huge step forward into re-legitimizing the program. He would probably drag at least one other T50 recruit with him.

If we don't get HG though, I don't think its the end of the world. If Manning can get us back to landing T100 kids every year, we will be back in the top half of the ACC and tourney bound, it will just be a slower road than landing a huge blue chipper.

I think he is up to it.
Just in time to snatch up Wendell Moore in the class of 2019

How so? We have a mediocre 2015 class that everyone here has overhyped in the hope of grasping at anything positive at all; and a 2016 class whose only member is a kid that even [name redacted] should not have been able to fuck up signing. I hope that we dupe Giles as much as anyone, but what is our legitimate percentage of landing him? <20%, right?

And don't spout off that education garbage, he has to be eligible for one semester.

If you can't see the difference between where STL and WFU are on the college basketball landscape from a historical and current NBA player perspective, there's no reason to argue my side any further. Our starting points would be too far apart for it to matter.

CP3 doesn't have to push Wake to be a strong influence towards Wake. Harry knows if he chooses Wake he can expect regular conversations about the games, cheering him on, urging him to beat Carolina, beat Duke, etc... They will share war stories. They will come back and do camp visits, alumni promos. They two will be linked for the rest of their lives. If Harry chooses Duke he loses that connection. Instead he gets to bond with JJ Redick. I mean I guess thats cool an all. :cool:

I agree but will a 17 yr old kid realize this?

I agree but will a 17 yr old kid realize this?

For sure. Plus I am pretty certain he is reading this thread, so if he didn't before he should now :).

He has a good choice whichever way he goes. That is the reality. K will try to convince him otherwise, but as someone who is putting down roots in a town that I didn't grow up in, I can honestly see how vital establishing your name in your hometown can be. For satisfaction of life, and for marketing, and for outreach. What Chris has been able to do in the community is directly related to his roots in the area. He has a voice. Durham isn't that far away, but Harry isn't going to have a voice in his hometown if he goes to Duke. It won't be because Winston Salem hates him or anything, they will still appreciate him, but he won't be the hometown hero. He will be a hero for Duke fans. It is just the way it is.

I think when it comes down to it, Harry will look at his options, and Wake Forest is going to be the one that makes him the happiest. He is set to be a millionaire in 2 years either way. I think there are certainly marketing benefits to staying in your hometown and establishing that image, but all that is conjecture at this point. He should go wherever he thinks he can be the happiest. All the other stuff is going to come either way.

This whole thing has gotten ridiculous. Aside from Duke's extraordinary run through the tourney last year with 3 key frosh, UK's recent title with the Kidd-Gilchrist group, and the Fab Five's run as frosh, there's no legit reason to think that ONE FRESHMAN PLAYER, no matter how good, makes a mediocre team into a title contender. Any of our fans who believe that are drinking and smoking the wrong dope. It takes excellent coaching, and excellent talent, and experience, and luck to get the title. The biggest of those is luck, and just remind yourself how many great college teams in the last couple decades DID NOT win the title. So Harry, I hope you choose Wake because you believe it's the right thing for you, that you believe in yourself, that you want to be part of a team that is special, and that whatever you accomplish as a Demon Deacon will be appreciated by your friends, family, fans, teammates, and your school. Best of luck !

If you can't see the difference between where STL and WFU are on the college basketball landscape from a historical and current NBA player perspective, there's no reason to argue my side any further. Our starting points would be too far apart for it to matter.

What does historical or current NBA player perspectives have to do in a case like this? We made one Final 4 over 50 years ago, and we last made the Sweet 16 over 10 years ago. To a 17 year old kid, that is meaningless. And why would he care about where current NBA players came from? He is going to be in the NBA in a year regardless of where he plays in college. Why would where Jeff Teague or James Johnson or Aminu or even Tim Duncan played in college impact that at all? He is going to the NBA with or without us.
The only thing he would care about is winning during that one year. And we can't give that to him. Whether Manning and Childress can make him think we can give that to him is another story, but on paper there is no debate.
We are competing for him against Duke. And we are a helluva lot closer to SLU than we are Duke right now.

Last edited:
Back