• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

John Mooney
6'7-6'9
210-225
Power Forward

Rivals: 3 stars, #132 overall
Scout: 3-stars, #20 PF
ESPN: 4-stars, #24 PF - 80 Scout Grade
247: 3-stars, #138 overall/#34 PF - 89 Scout Grade
247composite: 3-stars, #151 overall/#34 PF - 0.9033 Grade

Interest from Wake, Kansas, Florida, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and Boston College

Here is a Scout article written when he committed to Florida in fall 2013.

Florida picked up a pledge from 2016 prospect John Mooney on Saturday

Billy Donovan scored an early commitment on Saturday morning. John Mooney, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound power forward out of Almonte Springs (Fla.) Lake Brantley, pledged to the Gators during an unofficial visit.

"I think it's a situation where coach Donovan can take me to a level where he will develop me to the full potential," Mooney told Scout.com. "I just feel like I can be a great player there."

Mooney, a 2016 recruit, grew up following Florida.

"I've always been a gator fan, so this is a dream come true," Mooney said.

"I almost at a loss for words," he added. "I'm so excited and humbled and blessed. I'm just so happy. I can't wait to put on the Gator jersey."

Mooney averaged 12 points and 10 rebounds a game during his freshman season. Clemson and Purdue both evaluated Mooney at his school last week, while a number of other schools have shown interest.

"This was my first visit [to Florida]," Mooney said. "Coach [Matt] McCall has been down to a couple practice and I've kept in touch with him."

Mooney said he sees himself as a guy that can stretch the floor and believes he fits into the Florida system.

"I think I can come in and be like an Erik Murphy and be a stretch four," Mooney said. "He said they have a need for a pick and pop type guy."

Last edited:
To put Washington's placement in perspective, here are the 247 composite rankings of our recent SG/SF recruits:

Name - Overall/Position/State
Wilbekin - #256/#61 (SG)/#26 (FL)
Watson - #389/#89 (SG)/#6 (WV)
McClinton - #117/#23 (SF)/#5 (NC)
Overton - #231/#56 (SG)/#8 (PA)
Rountree - #164/#38 (SF)/#10 (NC)
Moto - #104/#23 (SF)/#5 (VA)
Fischer - #210/#61 (SG)/#1 (WV)
McKie - #55/#12 (SF)/#4 (VA)

and ESPN's

Name - Scout's Grade/Position/State
Wilbekin - 69/#63 (PG)/#30 (FL) [2-star]
Watson - NR/NR (SG)/NR (WV) [NR]
McClinton - 79/#24 (SF)/#6 (NC) [3-star]
Overton - 74/#47 (SG)/#7 (PA) [3-star]
Rountree - 89/#46 (SF)/#11 (NC) [3-star]
Moto - 92/#30 (SF)/#4 (VA) [4-star]
Fischer - 90/#49 (SG)/NR (WV) [3-star]
Terrell - 95/#14/ [N/A] [4-star]
McKie - 94/#12 (SF)/ [N/A] [4-star]

Well, the one positive on that list is Wilbekin, otherwise Washington is in the Overton/Fischer range. Based on these numbers you'd have to put a high prior probability on the notion that Washington is not going to be an impactful ACC player. I'm am sure many of you will pile on me for saying this but if you look at just the numbers the pivotal 2016 recruiting class is just not that inspiring so far. We cancriticize the metrics and capabilities of the rating agencies but some folks did that when we recruited Watson and Overton too. Sure he plays at a tiny high school with weak competition, but other than highlight videos, these rankings are the only data we have and they don't bode well.

Manning targeted and prioritized Washington early in the process when he didn't have to, so Manning must see him as a good fit for his system. We'll see if that was the right call in a few years.

I am much more optimistic about Washington than I was about any of those other similar rated prospects. I think he will be a nice player for us. I do agree that I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in next year and garner a huge amount of minutes. His impact will be seen more gradually. He needs to gain some strength and athleticism.

I am much more optimistic about Washington than I was about any of those other similar rated prospects. I think he will be a nice player for us. I do agree that I don't see him as a guy that is going to come in next year and garner a huge amount of minutes. His impact will be seen more gradually. He needs to gain some strength and athleticism.

We need players who can contribute as freshmen similar to the big classes Odom and Skip brought it early in their tenures.

He is very likely to gain weight and strength as he matures. Not sure how much his athleticism can improve. For basketball players, athleticism mostly equals jumping ability. Either you are born with fast twitch muscle fibers or your not. If you don't have them, you really aren't going to grow them in your late teens. Thus, your leaping ability and lateral quickness will be limited.

Looks like David Caraher is on campus this weekend.

@CaraherDavid30: Unofficial visit to Wake Forest today �� #godeacs

He is very likely to gain weight and strength as he matures. Not sure how much his athleticism can improve. For basketball players, athleticism mostly equals jumping ability. Either you are born with fast twitch muscle fibers or your not. If you don't have them, you really aren't going to grow them in your late teens. Thus, your leaping ability and lateral quickness will be limited.

Athleticism can most definitely be increased dramatically. OBviously a 30" vertical isn't going to transform into a 42", but you can definitely pick up 3-4 inches of hop, and increase your quickness by a lot on a proper program.

We need players who can contribute as freshmen similar to the big classes Odom and Skip brought it early in their tenures.

Agree. Would love to always have guys that are ready out of the gate. Sometimes in order to get a kid with higher upside, you have to take a little time to develop. That is just where we are right now. You are going to be glad that we signed RW IMO. I know you probably don't believe it now, but the tools are all there.

Agree. Would love to always have guys that are ready out of the gate. Sometimes in order to get a kid with higher upside, you have to take a little time to develop. That is just where we are right now. You are going to be glad that we signed RW IMO. I know you probably don't believe it now, but the tools are all there.

RW strikes me as a facilitator guy. Someone that's not going to score all the points or be the center of attention, but someone you need on a team that will distribute the ball from the wing, get up and down the court, and generally do the versatile stuff every team needs but is somewhat unheralded. Kind of a glue guy but he's a better distributor than that.

Sure he plays at a tiny high school with weak competition, but other than highlight videos, these rankings are the only data we have and they don't bode well.

Not sure why this "tiny high school with weak competition" theme for Washington keeps coming up. He plays in the same conference as Cape Henry and Norfolk Collegiate; also played VA Episcopal and STAB last year. Not exactly Chase Fischer level hs competition.

Not sure why this "tiny high school with weak competition" theme for Washington keeps coming up. He plays in the same conference as Cape Henry and Norfolk Collegiate; also played VA Episcopal and STAB last year. Not exactly Chase Fischer level hs competition.

Ok, so I don't actually know anything about his high school competition but I've seen that floated on here as an excuse for why the recruiting scouts have given Washington a low ranking. It's a pretty classic excuse though, we definitely saw the same excuses for Watson's ranking (or lack there of).

Like I said, the one positive was Webilkin and he is Mannings guy, so hopefully Washington out performs his rankings like he has.

Ok, so I don't actually know anything about his high school competition but I've seen that floated on here as an excuse for why the recruiting scouts have given Washington a low ranking. It's a pretty classic excuse though, we definitely saw the same excuses for Watson's ranking (or lack there of).

Like I said, the one positive was Webilkin and he is Mannings guy, so hopefully Washington out performs his rankings like he has.

bro... that's not even close

Back