• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

By the way, RIP, Scout board. Spam out the wazoo over there.

I don't know what being "served up" to dook means, but I know that the dook staff used the recent White House visit heavily in their Giles recruiting propaganda.

I was told that Manning has invested more time in personally meeting with/talking to Harry than any other head coach recruiting him. The other schools have used email and assistants more than anything.

This is a big deal to recruits & their families. Kids like to feel the love from the main guy.

Again, I was told that Giles gave Manning the nod at the CP3/Timmy D scrimmage but also told him that he was going to take all of his OVs to other schools.

For many reasons, I believe the person who told me and have no reason to doubt his word.

Manning & staff need to close this deal- and that means they have to withstand K, Cal, and Ol' Roy.

Wow

Ok. A PG, SG, and SF in this class so far. All can fill it up from both mid range and long range. I'm loving this. Being able score at every position is something we haven't had in a long time . I think the sound of CMM's bricks clanging off of the rim have driven the staff to target shooters.

Ughh...one more recruit closer to an entire decade of irrelevance.

He just got benched by a one and done freshman . He rightly got pissed. Then the jerk K used his past rape allegations to dump him.

He rightly got pissed then missed a national title. Nicely done Sulaimon.

Ok. A PG, SG, and SF in this class so far. All can fill it up from both mid range and long range. I'm loving this. Being able score at every position is something we haven't had in a long time . I think the sound of CMM's bricks clanging off of the rim have driven the staff to target shooters.

God you suck.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SF/PF Donovan Mitchell commits! Giles visiting ...

I don't mind Mitchell and am actually pretty intrigued, between the height and the versatility and what sounds like a well-rounded offensive game. But it sounds like he's the kind of player who would keep a, say, Richard Washington on the bench. So to me the Mitchell commit calls Washington further into question.
All of this is fine if we get Giles- it'll be one stud and a supporting cast that will yield a few nice supporting pieces. But it will put even more pressure on the 2017 class to produce another program-sustaining talent after Giles leaves.
And lord help us if we don't get Giles.

God you suck.

You love bad shooters, huh? Rountree was the same size as Mitchell and couldn't shoot . It would worry me if we got a commit from a player like Tree. You guys bitch about every recruit like we are going to bring in 4 or 5 star players after 5 years of a dumpster fire. It's going to take some time to rebuild and Manning is adding some skilled shooters which we badly need. Mitchell can play the 3 or 4 and stretch the defense. Washington has been described as one of the best shooters on the east coast . Chill shoots like his dad and also can be a playmaker . If we add Giles and/or another big, we should be in great shape in 2016-17.

So he's a good pick up if we manage to beat out Duke and Kentucky for the #1 player in the class.

Kid looks really good. Great stroke and tall. Obvious at this point that Danny really prioritizes tall players who have well rounded games and can shoot the ball.

Looks like he has great basketball skills, but will need to get on a weight lifting program and get stronger for ACC play.

Looks like he has great basketball skills, but will need to get on a weight lifting program and get stronger for ACC play.

In other words he looks like a PF that could use a year sitting behind the #1 PF in the class...

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SF/PF Donovan Mitchell commits! Giles visiting ...

All of this being the class, not the individual player.
It's very much like our recent string of players like CJ, McKie, Devin, and 22's boy who are nice complimentary ACC players but if they're your #1 you're in trouble, and that's a big part of why we've been bad the past few years. It's not the player's fault per se- it's the program's fault for mot being good enough and thus making them play a role they shouldn't have to play.
Similar to this class. Mitchell is a decent, intriguing guy, but if he's the best we get in this class we are screwed.

Let's see what he can do before y'all declare him a steal or a bust. Here's another guy who had a good summer and was generating some legit interest.

But let's not pretend that this is the type of recruit who is a positive indicator of a staff's full year of recruiting. Hell, we didn't even start recruiting him until pretty recently.

His potential lies in his versatility, but his utility will be what he can actually contribute at the collegiate level. Right now I see a skinny stretch 4 who isn't big enough to hold his own inside and doesn't appear to be a scrapper/rebounder. Given how rare it is for a guy to become LeBron James, let alone Jamal Levy, I'm not sure how realistic it is to project him as a wing at this point. I'd personally love a face up 4 with some range, but we will see how he ultimately develops.

In other words he looks like a PF that could use a year sitting behind the #1 PF in the class...

He doesn't look much like a PF in his videos, honestly; he looks more like a wing. I guess we'll see.

This feels a lot like Manning is working on building the "foundation" that [Redacted] was supposed to have built.

Back