• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

He doesn't look much like a PF in his videos, honestly; he looks more like a wing. I guess we'll see.

Yeah that was tongue in cheek. Probably should have made it more obvious.

Could be a red shirt year for this kid would really help him (and us), especially if the "other" forward we end up with is a physically ready to play one, possibly even a one and done?.

Could be a red shirt year for this kid would really help him (and us), especially if the "other" forward we end up with is a physically ready to play one, possibly even a one and done?.

Redshirting doesn't really do anything to help unless we don't think we can recruit better than him down the road.

Exactly. Use everything we have to raise the profile of the program now, so that we can recruit better later.

Generally I agree that red shirting a guy in basketball for him to get better is not a good idea, but if a player has the skills and just needs to get bigger and stronger to be effective, I see no reason not to. It is just where we are as a program right now whether we want to admit it or not.

Mitchell's tape indicates that he can handle the ball, pass, run , and jump pretty well. Very versatile. And his shot looks sweet , particularly for a 6'8" guy . #148 recruit is close to being 4 star. I guess the staff liked him better than Jalen over at WCA.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SF/PF Donovan Mitchell commits! Giles visiting ...

Generally I agree that red shirting a guy in basketball for him to get better is not a good idea, but if a player has the skills and just needs to get bigger and stronger to be effective, I see no reason not to. It is just where we are as a program right now whether we want to admit it or not.

The only way that would make any sense would be if we had control over his scholarship for that 5 year. If he didn't improve enough, he could graduate and transfer without sitting out. That is not a conversation you would normally have with a HS senior.

So at this point you likely play him spot minutes in his freshman year while he gets stronger and see if he can contribute more in each of his last three years. The wingspan is promising to me for sure, he's probably not done growing.

we are not redshirting freakin basketball players in the acc

Look he's signed to come here. Now, we really just need to focus on coming up with some stupid, demeaning nickname for him.

Kelly Olynyk redshirted while at Gonzaga. Obviously that worked out for him.

Kelly Olynyk redshirted while at Gonzaga. Obviously that worked out for him.

He redshirted his junior year and when he returned he had a great season. Following his redshirted junior year, he opted for the NBA draft, thereby forgoing his senior year.

Back