• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

Holy crap y'all!! That kid is still in High School!!? Do they start late in the UK? Talk about a man-child!! Please let this kid love Wake Forest and commit on the spot today as Danny is telling him how he can shape him into the next Hakeem Olajuwon! Goodness, I'm sure he is a year or two older than a normal HS senior, as he is an immigrant to UK(?) and re-classifying to 2016, but he doesn't even need to gain weight. Probably just needs to hit the weights to "tailor" his body to the rigors of the college game and eventually the pros with that kind of frame. Shite!

Come on down Samuel Mathias!! Someone tell him that we have an exchange "house" in London so he can return more than the normal student to see his family. ;-)

He turns 18 next March.

Also not sure why "house" is in quotations. Worrell House is indeed a house. It also would not enable SJM to return to London any more than a normal student as basketball players don't study abroad for obvious reasons.

He turns 18 next March.

Also not sure why "house" is in quotations. Worrell House is indeed a house. It also would not enable SJM to return to London any more than a normal student as basketball players don't study abroad for obvious reasons.

Well, wasn't sure if it was an actual house where the students stayed or if it was a place of study whereby they live with sponsor families. Anyway, it seems like it would be a violation, but why couldn't he apply to study "abroad" in the summertime if it earned him credits closer to home in the "offseason?"

Hard to believe he's only 17 y/o and 270 lbs. Quite the space-eater but love the fact he's got a nice drop step and can use either hand for the baby-hook.

Well, wasn't sure if it was an actual house where the students stayed or if it was a place of study whereby they live with sponsor families. Anyway, it seems like it would be a violation, but why couldn't he apply to study "abroad" in the summertime if it earned him credits closer to home in the "offseason?"

Because he'd miss all of the valuable time spent in the gym, playing ball, and hanging with his teammates. There is no off season. Never mind that I don't think you can just earn "credits" in summer school abroad the same way you can on campus in Winston, and that's assuming that Worrell offers any credits over the summer, which I doubt is the case.

Not that SJM could use them for reasons already noted, but the Wake houses do generally offer classes for credit and have people living in them during both summer sessions

Hoping Japhet-Mathias is more Luol Deng than Neil Fingleton (in terms of success, not style of play).

There aren't too many British-born (& raised) players that have had success in the US.

Is there a timeline on SJM's decision?
An offer and then an immediate official visit normally is a very good sign. Assuming he started his visit on Sunday afternoon, it'd seem like he's at Wake until tomorrow mid-day. I have no clue where WF stands with him but if anything were to happen while he was at WF, it'd likely be later tonight or tomorrow morning.

I checked all the other sites of the other schools affiliated with him and none have anything recent on him but with his recent reclassification, the other schools' sites haven't really been discussing 2017 recruits too much. Still, with no other visits seemingly on the horizon, this could drag on for a little bit if he leaves WF uncommitted.

Last edited:
Not that SJM could use them for reasons already noted, but the Wake houses do generally offer classes for credit and have people living in them during both summer sessions

law school is there for part of the summer. It is a great house in a great location! One summer I was there the band Oasis was across the street and Bob Hoskins was just down the street

Drank many pints at The Sir Richard Steele around the corner ... many moons ago. Hampstead is the stones!

Hoping Japhet-Mathias is more Luol Deng than Neil Fingleton (in terms of success, not style of play).

There aren't too many British-born (& raised) players that have had success in the US.

I'd settle for the second coming of Pops Mensah-Bonsu

Steve bucknall at Unc was from England and he was a pretty good college player back in the day, even had a cup of coffee in the nba

Yeah. One of the mixtapes called SJM the "Next great British big man" and I was wondering who the latest one was.

Yeah. One of the mixtapes called SJM the "Next great British big man" and I was wondering who the latest one was.

Deng and Ben Gordon are the only two who were active in the league last year. Just learned through my exhaustive research that Steve Nash has British citizenship (didn't know that one), although he's not a big man.

Deng and Ben Gordon are the only two who were active in the league last year. Just learned through my exhaustive research that Steve Nash has British citizenship (didn't know that one), although he's not a big man.

Ben Gordon was born in the UK, but was raised in the US.

I think you can count on one hand the number of UK born & raised NBA players. Legit players... not guys who were on a roster for a few weeks.

But we just need SJM to be a good college player... I don't need him to be a NBA all-star.

Back