• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k16- SJM, Washington, Childress & Mitchell sign NLIs; 2017?

No reason we shouldn't be able to recruit with State, FSU, and UVA. This was a very bad recruiting cycle for our staff. Not good when you are trying to rebuild a program from historically bad years with an unproven coach. Coaching mediocre teams for another two years isn't going to increase his credibility with recruits. It is clear that top recruits want proven college coaches. Having played in the league a generation ago clearly doesn't mean very much to top recruits.

Manning identified Childress and Washington (he was actually a little later. However once Manning noticed him, he started recruiting him hard) very quickly and got commitments from them. They weren't plan b's. The third guy is a Top 100 guy and Mitchell was a result from Eli Wright going to Mississippi State (which shouldn't happen).

Not going to shit on this class because I trust Manning's eye for talent, but I do think building this program with 4*/high 3* talents are the type of Manning player (outside shooters, length and talented bigs) wants would be ideal.

Manning identified Childress and Washington (he was actually a little later. However once Manning noticed him, he started recruiting him hard) very quickly and got commitments from them. They weren't plan b's. The third guy is a Top 100 guy and Mitchell was a result from Eli Wright going to Mississippi State (which shouldn't happen).

Not going to shit on this class because I trust Manning's eye for talent, but I do think building this program with 4*/high 3* talents are the type of Manning player (outside shooters, length and talented bigs) wants would be ideal.

This is a similar way to how Virginia built their program under Bennett. They're now benefitting from the superb player development and signing some higher ranked guys. I'd be curious to see what Tony's first 2-3 classes looked like but am too lazy to look it up right now.

Last edited:
When is the last time that Wake Forest received a commitment from a 5 star basketball player?

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

When is the last time that Wake Forest made the NCAA tournament?

▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀

This is a similar way to how Virginia built their program under Bennett. They're now benefitting from the suppers player development and signing some higher ranked guys. I'd be curious to see what Tony's first 2-3 classes looked like but am too lazy to look it up right now.
Ah, the exceptions vs. the norm argument.

I find it unlikely that DM is better at evaluating talent than any other coach. He's been desperate and has taken risks that good programs don't have to take.

Taking a guy who barely qualified is a risk. Taking a foreigner who may leave before he's capable of playing even mediocre defense is a risk. Taking high potential players with disappointing high school production is a risk. Taking short shooters like Wilbekin and Childress who will struggle to get off shots and guard in the ACC is a risk.

Would Manning have identified Childress early on if he wasn't the son of an assistant coach? I doubt it.

I know according to townie I don't know sports but I want to go on the record that Childress is going to be a bust

And the 2016 class will stink to high hell

Last edited:
Would Manning have identified Childress early on if he wasn't the son of an assistant coach? I doubt it.

That's not the real question.

Would Manning have hired Childress as an assistant coach if his son wasn't a friend and teammate of the #1 player in the class?

Not sure. Manning doesn't come off as the kind of a guy that would offer Childress just because his dad is an assistant coach and a Wake legend.

I'm just glad we got that big ole british dude at the last minute

Back