• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

We have a very little room in our 2017 and we are looking at a transfer?

I would rather see a grad transfer (eligible immediately) who can play the three competently as highest priority for 2017.

Plenty of video on this guy. He's a 6'5 version of Devin Thomas. Not sure that will work well in the ACC. And I'm not sure it would work well on the wing for us. But it's worth exploring a wing player.

Plenty of video on this guy. He's a 6'5 version of Devin Thomas. Not sure that will work well in the ACC. And I'm not sure it would work well on the wing for us. But it's worth exploring a wing player.

Wings in the ACC have to be able to shoot well. Just have to. Otherwise, its Wake 2016 all over again.

Wings in the ACC have to be able to shoot well. Just have to. Otherwise, its Wake 2016 all over again.

If by "shoot well" you mean have a range of at least 15 feet, then I agree. I don't think they have to be a 3 point threat to be effective. I'd take a good slasher or lock down defender there. I can't remember the last time we had a 3 that could shoot 3's. Equally as high a priority as a shooter for Wake right now is someone who can take their man off the dribble and put the slightest bit of pressure on a defense to rotate. Fundamental basketball that uses well placed screens combined with x's and o's is great and all, but penetration creates all sorts of problems and can easily stress college defenses. Hell, Aminu's team didn't have anyone that could shoot reliably from outside 15 feet, but all of those guys could slash and penetrate.

He might help us if he recognizes he's not a 3-pt shooter. We were not good at that this season.

He might help us if he recognizes he's not a 3-pt shooter. We were not good at that this season.

This is one of the biggest issues with many of the players on the team. They need to recognize what they can do well, what they can do decently, and what they do poorly or can't do. In games they mostly need to do what they do well, with some of what they do decently. Because of mismatches and lack of players who do enough things well, they have been forced to do things that they don't do well. Hence, poor results.

That is where the coaching staff needs to earn its pay: identify the strengths and weaknesses of each player, and install offenses and defenses that emphasis the strengths and as much as possible hide the weaknesses. At Wake, it will be a rare team that has more talent than the other schools in the league. Therefore, the coaches have to put the players in positions that maximize their capabilities and insofar as possible, hides their weaknesses.

Didn't used to be rare.

Didn't used to be rare.

This is true, but isn't the case currently and hasn't been for quite a few years. And it doesn't look like it will change in the next two. And that doesn't look to change for at least two more years. the 2016-17 team is pretty well known. No five star talent going to be there. As of now there is only one 'ship available for either a fall '16 arrival or a fall '17 arrival. Thus the 2018-2019 team is the next obvious opportunity for a talent upgrade. (yes. I know departures can happen between now and fall '17).

Next two seasons will require a lot of "coach'em up."

The lack of talent problem started with the hiring of <name redacted>. There is nothing inherernt about WFU that requires us to play at a talent disadvantage. Ron Wellman and the culture club chose this path.

Odom tapped overseas talent to make up where he couldn't get US talent to go to Wake. Skip was generally good at fishing in the top US talent pool. Dino was into the same waters, but not as successfully. Bz took a decided step back in the level of player recruited. Danny has been trying, but hasn't yet closed the deal with any consensus 5* recruits. If (when) he does, then Wake will start to approach a situation where they are not on the low end of the talent scale. Right now Wake is at the low end of the league talent level.

Odom tapped overseas talent to make up where he couldn't get US talent to go to Wake. Skip was generally good at fishing in the top US talent pool. Dino was into the same waters, but not as successfully. Bz took a decided step back in the level of player recruited. Danny has been trying, but hasn't yet closed the deal with any consensus 5* recruits. If (when) he does, then Wake will start to approach a situation where they are not on the low end of the talent scale. Right now Wake is at the low end of the league talent level.

Eh, not really.

We may not be able to recruit on the level of Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Louisville, Florida State, and NC State. They're recruiting like we were before Skip passed.

There is no reason why we can't consistently recruit on the same level as schools like Virginia, Miami, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh. None.

Hell, we're not even consistently recruiting on the same level as Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech.

The staff can (and really must) do better.

This is something that Wake Fans have got to learn. Wake Forest isn't cool. It isn't a household name. It doesn't have any national cache. It doesn't have an army of alumni and bumper stickers all over the country. Notre Dame and Miami are fucking brands. UVa & Pitt are big state schools. There are multiple reasons why we can't consistently recruit on the same level as those schools.

There is no reason why we can't consistently recruit on the same level as schools like Virginia, Miami, Notre Dame, and Pittsburgh. None.

Wake was cool. Wake was a household name. Wake did have national cache. When we were winning.

When I'm talking hoops with people who know I went to Wake, they ask "What happened to Wake?" as if we should be better.

Wake target Lavar Batts Jr. and his JM Robinson Bulldogs take on Fayetteville Sanford for the 3A title tonight at Carmichael.

This is something that Wake Fans have got to learn. Wake Forest isn't cool. It isn't a household name. It doesn't have any national cache. It doesn't have an army of alumni and bumper stickers all over the country. Notre Dame and Miami are fucking brands. UVa & Pitt are big state schools. There are multiple reasons why we can't consistently recruit on the same level as those schools.

Except that until the last six years we did consistently recruit at that level (or higher).

As of now there is only one 'ship available for either a fall '16 arrival or a fall '17 arrival.

Is there any reason to think McClinton will stay past next year? I'm assuming he is on pace to graduate and would have another year of eligibility to go play somewhere else immediately.

Hard to believe he would stick around just to ride the bench his senior year

Back