• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

I'm hopeful that the reports on Woods are accurate, but it's way too similar to the "McClinton is our best leader and player" story line that came out during his red shirt season.

I'm hopeful that the reports on Woods are accurate, but it's way too similar to the "McClinton is our best leader and player" story line that came out during his red shirt season.

The favorable difference is that Woods has proven he can play at the D1 level, whereas Greg was coming off of knee surgery and had never played a minute of college ball.

I did a quick search for "McClinton" and "leader" and did not see a single post in which anyone said that

Not saying I disagree with any of this, but it is always fun to see how expectations gradually creep up every off-season.

It's early April and we already have a few narratives:
1- Team will be better w/o DT & CMM because they were flawed and Bz recruits
2- Childress is much better than his ranking because he committed early to WFU
3- Woods will be the leader of this team and plugs right in at SG

Again, I don't necessarily disagree, but I love watching how optimism takes shape every offseason.

Fair, except for the optimism part. Doubt that there are any more negative fan-bases right now (OK, maybe BC and Rutgers) than ours with reasonable justification - really hard to continue to have Lucy yank the football away from you and to still believe. Every once in a while there is a glimmer of optimism here, but it usually gets shot down quickly.

Fair, except for the optimism part. Doubt that there are any more negative fan-bases right now (OK, maybe BC and Rutgers) than ours with reasonable justification - really hard to continue to have Lucy yank the football away from you and to still believe. Every once in a while there is a glimmer of optimism here, but it usually gets shot down quickly.

Vibes?

I'm basing this on hazy memories of some rumor where he lit into the team during half time of a game during the Bz era

Perhaps Woods in practice was one of the reasons Watson is transferring?

I am a big fan of CMM, but it was mistake to take the ball out of Crawford's hands when he came back from his injury.

You can say what you want about Devin and CMM. I do think Devin would have been better with a consistent stretch 4. Dinos had a bad year. Too bad we didn't have Cavannah the last two years.

But the only way we are going to get significantly better next year, not just incrementally better, is to perform in the final 3 minutes of games. It was really troubling to watch us jack up shots at the end of games. We didn't trust each other, we didn't seem to have a system in place that allowed guys to know their roles, etc. Sadly, that is on everyone - players and coaches. It would have been great if we had just put the ball in Crawford's hands and let him learn how to do it by failing (and hopefully winning a few), but we didn't. We basically let CMM and Devin keep losing games for us at the end. They had their positive moments too in end of game situations, but I don't walk away from this year thinking the young guys figured anything out other than the ACC is really hard and losing sucks. That is on Manning and stuff. I get why he felt loyal to CMM and Devin for staying as he they had pussed out like Tyler, we would have been unbelievably atrocious Manning's first year, but it didn't serve our team well going forward.

So I hope Woods is that guy who can get folks believing in each other and so we are actually in the right positions in end of game situations instead of looking like a 6th grade team. Lot to ask of the new guy

I did a quick search for "McClinton" and "leader" and did not see a single post in which anyone said that

I remember some quote about him being perhaps the best athlete and defender on the team but nothing about leadership or being our "best player." We have Sasha Gray-level gaping holes at the 2 and 3 spots, and Woods at least put up 16 against Georgetown as a freshman while posting nice percentages from both inside and outside the arc. The Woods hype is as much about the level of need we have at his position as it is his perceived skill level. The McClinton hype was about making excuses for [Redacted] being horrible.

If Brandon isn't better than Wilbekin then we're fucked.

What's the word on Brandon's D?

If Brandon isn't better than Wilbekin then we're fucked.

What's the word on Brandon's D?

I don't expect freshman Chill to be better than junior Mitch. Replace Woods with Brandon in the post above and I would certainly agree.

Chill will be a better creator/passer than Mitch. Mitch is more of a calming influence, as he rarely turns it over and doesn't make risky plays. His experience and time in the weight room will put him ahead of Chill next year IMO. They are both too small/non-athletic to make big impacts on defense.

I don't expect freshman Chill to be better than junior Mitch. Replace Woods with Brandon in the post above and I would certainly agree.

Chill will be a better creator/passer than Mitch. Mitch is more of a calming influence, as he rarely turns it over and doesn't make risky plays. His experience and time in the weight room will put him ahead of Chill next year IMO. They are both too small/non-athletic to make big impacts on defense.

I mean more in the long run than next year. If Brandon's peak is not better than Wilbekin then we are in trouble.

I mean more in the long run than next year. If Brandon's peak is not better than Wilbekin then we are in trouble.

Well that depends on how long Crawford stays and our PG recruiting going forward. While it could happen, I'm not expecting Chill to be a huge piece of the puzzle and more of a role player. I do think (hope) his peak his higher than Mitch's but not confident it is by much.

Well that depends on how long Crawford stays and our PG recruiting going forward. While it could happen, I'm not expecting Chill to be a huge piece of the puzzle and more of a role player. I do think (hope) his peak his higher than Mitch's but not confident it is by much.

I disagree with this a lot. Childress has a much higher ceiling than wilbekin in that they can both shoot from outside but Childress has infinitely better ball-handling ability than wilbekin and is much quicker. I don't have any doubt that Childress will be much better than Mitch.

Back