• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Just watched a couple highlight videos. Doesn't seem to be a dynamic athlete, but appears to be a smooth player with good vision. Pretty weird to only see 1 dunk (uncontested) in two highlight videos for a 6'5" dude.

Gurus, convince me that he's a great addition. TIA.

He's a really good athlete. Wait for some tape from this year and you will see. Excellent pickup for the Deacs. He has some work to do on his shot in my opinion. Has two shots. One for long range and one for short range. Needs to find one shot and stick with it. His palm gets too flat on his long range shot and he holds the ball a little long on the short range. Nothing that isn't fixable. Release is good. Excited about this commit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a really good athlete. Wait for some tape from this year and you will see. Excellent pickup for the Deacs. He has some work to do on his shot in my opinion. Has two shots. One for long range and one for short range. Needs to find one shot and stick with it. His palm gets too flat on his long range shot and he holds the ball a little long on the short range. Nothing that isn't fixable. Release is good. Excited about this commit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharone Wright, Jr.
2018, Point Guard
6'4-6'5, 176-200

Rivals: 3-stars
Scout: 3-stars
247: 4-stars (#24 PG, #129 Overall)
ESPN: 4-stars (#22 PG)

Sharone chose Wake over offers from Florida State, Arkansas, Memphis, South Carolina, Clemson, Kansas State, Georgia, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, VCU, Auburn, UCF, Charlotte, Duquesne, Old Dominion, East Carolina, and Coastal Carolina.

Perhaps most importantly, Manning and the staff got a 2018 player in a position of need who they identified early on in the process and successfully recruited even after other legitimate high major programs offered. Well done, staff.

Welcome, Sharone!

Last edited:
Perhaps most importantly, Manning and the staff got a 2018 player in a position of need who they identified early on in the process and successfully recruited even after other legitimate high major programs offered. Well done, staff, and welcome, Sharone!

This. This is what we weren't able to do for 4 years. Good post.

A couple of things I saw. He has really good court vision. He doesn't shoot a jump shot. He doesn't finish with his left. When gets in the lane for his form of a J, he really opens up his shoulders to the right. They need to be square. These are things that can be fixed.

His AAU team is Karolina Khaos. They play on the silver level for Adidas, which has a lot less coverage than the highest level gold tour. So could be a factor in less coverage by the recruiting gurus. But I don't know exactly what caused Scout to drop him (they caused the big drop in their ranking and 247's composite).

Childress put in a ton of work to land Wright, so I'm glad the staff got a point guard that they really wanted. I've thought since last fall that he was the recruit most likely to commit first. I really like the kid's size for the position and he is still growing.

Wake hoops is getting really exciting again.
Great start to this class. Looking for the momentum to continue so we can get all, or at least most, of our other top targets.
If this happens, we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Really expected to be 6'8"? No way that's PG height anymore.

Take this for what it's worth.

"Wright is projected to conservatively end up in the 6’8” range, and therein lies the unique nature of this prospect. His father is 7’ and his mother is around 6’2” and Wright is in the midst of a growth spurt as Wright started his sophomore year of high school around 6’2” and he just completed his junior year at 6’6”. With the continued physically growth, his game has continued to improve as well."

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/new...ght-jr-of-west-florence-hs-karolina-khaos-sc-

Really expected to be 6'8"? No way that's PG height anymore.

Nah dude.

giphy.gif

Childress put in a ton of work to land Wright, so I'm glad the staff got a point guard that they really wanted. I've thought since last fall that he was the recruit most likely to commit first. I really like the kid's size for the position and he is still growing.

Childress directly recruited the kid who is going to be competing with his own kid for playing time by appealing to the kid's dad who he played against in college.

Just a weird quirk of the situation.

Childress directly recruited the kid who is going to be competing with his own kid for playing time by appealing to the kid's dad who he played against in college.

Just a weird quirk of the situation.

From a distant observation, Coach Childress has completely compartmentalized his parent/child relationship from his coach/team relationship, which is incredibly difficult. Throughout the season, looked for any sign that Coach Childress treated Brandon differently than any other player on the roster. Never saw a hint (and I have in other coach/child situations). Completely admit that my sample size is limited to pre-game, game and post-game, but from my eyes, when he is coaching, Brandon Childress gets treated the same as every other WF player - no better and no worse. Admirable.

From a distant observation, Coach Childress has completely compartmentalized his parent/child relationship from his coach/team relationship, which is incredibly difficult. Throughout the season, looked for any sign that Coach Childress treated Brandon differently than any other player on the roster. Never saw a hint (and I have in other coach/child situations). Completely admit that my sample size is limited to pre-game, game and post-game, but from my eyes, when he is coaching, Brandon Childress gets treated the same as every other WF player - no better and no worse. Admirable.

Very. Brandon makes a great play and Randolph is stone faced on the bench. It takes amazing composure.

Back