• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I have literally no information outside what can be extracted on social media, but I tend to agree with the notion that he is going to Illinois.

I think that he had always planned to go to Illinois (given the assistant coach/pre-exisiting relationship with his father/state school), but Wake Forest did a fantastic job of recruiting him and made him open his eyes a bit to schools outside of the Illini. While I do believe we come up short on this one, it helped get even more exposure for Wake with regards to recruiting experts/coaches/etc as to what our staff can do on the recruiting trail and that should help pay dividends down the road.

I don't know why he keeps liking and retweeting things on both sides at this juncture because he most assuredly has made his mind up with the announcement being less than 36 hours away other than the fact that he is a kid who is enjoying his time in the limelight while he makes his decision.

"Sarr is going to turn some heads this year. Some on the staff have said he may be a one and done. He's that good."

Dude that just got me super jazzed up for the season if any truth whatsoever. With our backcourt along with Chaundee added to the mix and a stud 7 footer who could be a one and done? That just means we need some solid mins. from DM, SJM, TT or Melo @ the other 4/5 and we would be down right nasteeeeeeyyyy. Some great depth as well if more than one of those step up with some solid play on both ends of the court.

I have literally no information outside what can be extracted on social media, but I tend to agree with the notion that he is going to Illinois.

I think that he had always planned to go to Illinois (given the assistant coach/pre-exisiting relationship with his father/state school), but Wake Forest did a fantastic job of recruiting him and made him open his eyes a bit to schools outside of the Illini. While I do believe we come up short on this one, it helped get even more exposure for Wake with regards to recruiting experts/coaches/etc as to what our staff can do on the recruiting trail and that should help pay dividends down the road.

I don't know why he keeps liking and retweeting things on both sides at this juncture because he most assuredly has made his mind up with the announcement being less than 36 hours away other than the fact that he is a kid who is enjoying his time in the limelight while he makes his decision.

So basically a hedged by the way.

But yeah that's pretty much how I think this is happening. I'll hold out hope till the end and probably be disappointed when it happens.

I don't think his announcement location has any real bearing on where he's choosing and I fear some people are falling for the "Illinois is a Chicago school" thing. He's announcing in Chicago, which is his home city and where there is probably a decent Illini base but it's many things before a Illini city. It'd be like someone holding an announcement in Charleston, SC when they're deciding between Unv of South Carolina or Pittsburgh.

Nor do I think him making it a live announcement means much, outside of WF's perceived poor record with live choices. He's a 5* recruit and is enjoying the process.

With that said, the above is not intended to say WF has a better shot due to either thing, just that they are seemingly non-determinative of his decision.

Last edited:
"Sarr is going to turn some heads this year. Some on the staff have said he may be a one and done. He's that good."

Dude that just got me super jazzed up for the season if any truth whatsoever. With our backcourt along with Chaundee added to the mix and a stud 7 footer who could be a one and done? That just means we need some solid mins. from DM, SJM, TT or Melo @ the other 4/5 and we would be down right nasteeeeeeyyyy. Some great depth as well if more than one of those step up with some solid play on both ends of the court.

Its truth. In practice he has been stellar, so I'm told. Once he adds some weight and strength (making fast progress on that), he will be even better.

Isn't he announcing in Chicago because that's where he lives ?

giphy.gif

Makes sense to me. What do people expect, him to drive to a neutral location or something? Chicago is a huge media hub. The location is irrelevant to me.

The most tellings "tells" are that is he retweeting everything Wake. When recruits do that, it usually means they're going to the other school. He is not the first kid to do that in our social media age. Also, all 247 crystal balls are in his favor. Barring a huge flip tonight or in the morning, I see him at Illinois unfortunately.

So basically a hedged by the way.

But yeah that's pretty much how I think this is happening. I'll hold out hope till the end and probably be disappointed when it happens.

When I said "by the way" I was 100% positive that Harry Giles was going to Duke, and he had known for quite some time that this was the case.

It appears that in this case Wake Forest is legitimately in the picture when the decision is being made. That was not the case for Harry Giles in the least.

I explained my rationale for why I believe he is going to Illinois and stated my opinion on the matter. If you feel that's a hedge then that's your own prerogative.

I have been relatively negative on the Ayo vibes the whole time... Impressed that Manning got us to the final 2 pretty late in the game, but the fact that Ayo scheduled an announcement event (vs. just announcing on twitter) and has been tweeting/re-tweeting nothing but Wake Forest stuff makes me think there is no chance he comes to Wake.

I hope I am wrong. Would obviously love to have him.

yep

Makes sense to me. What do people expect, him to drive to a neutral location or something? Chicago is a huge media hub. The location is irrelevant to me.

The most tellings "tells" are that is he retweeting everything Wake. When recruits do that, it usually means they're going to the other school. He is not the first kid to do that in our social media age. Also, all 247 crystal balls are in his favor. Barring a huge flip tonight or in the morning, I see him at Illinois unfortunately.

Can you give some examples of when other recruits have done this? Not saying this isn't the case for Ayo, but just don't think this thing happens that frequently.

I read on the Illinois board that all of the recruits they've lost this year (and its a lot) all were retweeting Illini stuff before they decided otherwise. Also BSDs tweet yesterday.

UofI announces satellite campus in the South Loop of Chicago! They're going all in on Ayo!

I read on the Illinois board that all of the recruits they've lost this year (and its a lot) all were retweeting Illini stuff before they decided otherwise. Also BSDs tweet yesterday.

It's not with respect to recruits they've lost this year. Those guys were rewteeting any Illinois stuff. They may be seeing it about guys in the past.

Can you give some examples of when other recruits have done this? Not saying this isn't the case for Ayo, but just don't think this thing happens that frequently.

No examples, but I did read "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell one time a few years ago.

Hmmm - you may want to improve your evidence gathering skills.

Back