• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Illinois fans don't seem to appreciate that they currently have zero commits for 2018 and Wake already has a top ten class with one player ranked right around the same tier as Ayo who happens to be good friends with Ayo

On top of that our 2017 class had another top 40 player (almost ranked twice as high as Mark Da God Smith) at a position that doesn't overlap with Ayo as well as a dark horse foreign front court guy that is already starting to get two and done buzz before playing an official minute of college hoops

Illinois has Mark Smith and a pocket full of lint in 2018 right now

Wake has two back to back great recruiting classes (with or without Ayo), a coach with a prove history of developing NBA talent and active NBA connections, a program with a history of getting players (and even more specifically point guards) to the NBA, the opportunity to play in the best bball conference in America, superior undergraduate academics, a beautiful campus (with quick access to actual ocean beaches).....

a 2018 lineup without Ayo and without Bryant Crawford is still really, really good.

B-Chill
Brown
Hoard
Mucius
Sarr

6th man - Key "for 3" Woods

That's crazy athletic

...the opportunity to play in the best bball conference in America, superior undergraduate academics, a beautiful campus (with quick access to actual ocean beaches).....

Not to mention very underrated creek beds and reservoir beaches!! Belews Lake is so muddy it's beautiful!!

This Mark Da God Smith hype is truly mindblowing. These brain bust UI fans realize he would be like the fifth best guard on Wake's team this year, right? And even that may be too high if these reports that Mitch is the most improved player on the team...

If a CB turns both fan bases will lose it. If I were Ayo and I was playing Wake, I would leak some info to someone who would put up a Wake CB just to watch heads explode.

On the optimistic side, Ayo has done nothing towards Illinois that would breed bad blood in his home state. Obviuosly losing him would sting, but if you reverse his tweets and then he chooses Wake he would get pummeled in the local press. I just have a difficult time believing that if he really did like Wake, and Manning, and Jaylen...that he would embarass them like this. Maybe he will, I really don't know, but if I were Manning and I had invested this kind of time and effort I would be a little dissapointed with Ayo's buildup and then rejection. If Ayo IS truly planning on choosing Illinois (which is quite possible), then the more mature approach would be to tweet out both programs, and show both programs love rather than the one sided affair that potentially will get the hopes up of people who invested time and money courting him.

I agree it sounded from earlier reports as if the kid is mature and classy, so his approach would really be contrary to early impressions as he would be either incredibly immature (even for an 18 y/o which says something) or just mean spirited towards Danny and the other coaches and players that have invested so much time/effort to get them all excited to dump on them like this??? Why tweet/retweet when you know folks are watching and especially so one sided. Unless he is already communicated something to DM in which case it wouldn't be as bad as just having some fun with the fan bases.

Guess we will learn soon enough.

*Yawn* Chicago is in Illinois. North Carolina isn't. And yes, Charlotte and Chapel Hill might as well be the "same place" if it's a decision between UNC and, say, Arizona. What's he "supposed to do?" If he's choosing WF, I'd say he'd not have a publicized announcement at a shoe store attended by local media. I'd say at most he'd announce at his school, and more likely just tweet the decision. But we're talking about optics, and none of it is written in stone. Interpret the signs as you will.

I get that this is a huge deal for the recruit and its cool he can make something of it. You only pick a college once - at least for most people. But no recruit save someone who is No. 1 in the country is going to generate a ton of buzz in the local media in a market like Chicago. There are just way to many sports outlets for there to be a huge buzz and the city is just way too cosmopolitan for it to feel as provincial as a city like Charlotte or Kansas City, etc. Everyone here is focused on the Cubs, the Blackhawks, the Bears, the Bulls, Notre Dame football . . . even the Omaha White Sox. Illinois basketball has a hard time creating a huge buzz here under all but the most glowing of circumstances. Yes, Chicago is in Illinois. Pretty much every Big Ten school within 250 miles of this city has a huge alumni base in town. Is Illinois a bigger deal than Indiana? Sure - just because it is in the state. But it isn't as if this is an "Illinois" town the way all of North Carolina gets worked up over the Heels. It's part of the reason other programs are able to come to Chicago and recruit with a lot of success. Illinois has never been able to fully lock up the borders of the state recruiting wise. Ever. A press conference for a really good HS basketball player is way down the list of media attention in a city like this. There will be no frenzy if he picks Illinois or Wake in the local media. There will just be a short story about the fact he made a decision. So yes, there is some built in advantage for Illinois, but this is not the same thing as say Des Moines having the number 25 recruit in the country and that kid choosing Texas over Iowa. There'd be huge pressure on that kid to stay in Iowa because the state university is pretty much the end all and be all of the entire state's sporting existence. That just isn't the case in Chicago. It's a different universe.

I get that this is a huge deal for the recruit and its cool he can make something of it. You only pick a college once - at least for most people. But no recruit save someone who is No. 1 in the country is going to generate a ton of buzz in the local media in a market like Chicago. There are just way to many sports outlets for there to be a huge buzz and the city is just way too cosmopolitan for it to feel as provincial as a city like Charlotte or Kansas City, etc. Everyone here is focused on the Cubs, the Blackhawks, the Bears, the Bulls, Notre Dame football . . . even the Omaha White Sox. Illinois basketball has a hard time creating a huge buzz here under all but the most glowing of circumstances. Yes, Chicago is in Illinois. Pretty much every Big Ten school within 250 miles of this city has a huge alumni base in town. Is Illinois a bigger deal than Indiana? Sure - just because it is in the state. But it isn't as if this is an "Illinois" town the way all of North Carolina gets worked up over the Heels. It's part of the reason other programs are able to come to Chicago and recruit with a lot of success. Illinois has never been able to fully lock up the borders of the state recruiting wise. Ever. A press conference for a really good HS basketball player is way down the list of media attention in a city like this. There will be no frenzy if he picks Illinois or Wake in the local media. There will just be a short story about the fact he made a decision. So yes, there is some built in advantage for Illinois, but this is not the same thing as say Des Moines having the number 25 recruit in the country and that kid choosing Texas over Iowa. There'd be huge pressure on that kid to stay in Iowa because the state university is pretty much the end all and be all of the entire state's sporting existence. That just isn't the case in Chicago. It's a different universe.

Yeah, we established that about 50 pages ago.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I have wasted a lot of time checking my phone and the boards the past week.

Not buying into the idea that Keyshawn comes off the bench his senior year. He's really good!

Back