• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Maybe we prefer Wiggins as a 2G over Newman. He will be a tough pull given the competition.

Why do we feel so confident about Newman. He's been on the verge of blowing up for a little while. Do we have a great in?

Why do we feel so confident about Newman. He's been on the verge of blowing up for a little while. Do we have a great in?

Yeah, we could have Newman. We have a couple in's but I can't spread my sauce all over the place.

Total opinion here but it seems like Newman's situation has parallels to Keep Parker last year. Not in terms of player quality, just that WF seems to be kinda delaying on their side to see what happens with the higher ranked guys.

Really enjoying the discussions of Earvin Murray and Aaron Rountree this week.

Total opinion here but it seems like Newman's situation has parallels to Keep Parker last year. Not in terms of player quality, just that WF seems to be kinda delaying on their side to see what happens with the higher ranked guys.

The only difference is Newman is still a 4* talent who fits a need we need on the defensive end, is shooting 59% on the AAU circuit, and is a leading scorer on a Top 5 Nike team. I don't want us to wait on him. Kwe was a last resort (and for good reason after his freshman year at UT)

We've got Wright. Go ahead and get Newman, then work on Hoard and Mucius. All four can play different positions and each can play multiple positions and give us good size.

Newman's a good interview. Funny and composed. Kind of goofy. Talks a lot about team and individual defense. Makes a good argument for a HS shot clock.

Last edited:
We've got Wright. Go ahead and get Newman, then work on Hoard and Mucius. All four can play different positions and each can play multiple positions and give us good size.

Or actually wait and see if you ca get players that are better than Newman.

Seems like a risk to wait too long on a 6-6 wing who is committed to defense.

I will always defer to Manning in terms of which players he'd like to bring to Wake Forest. He and the staff know a lot more than I ever will.

Having said all that, I'd like Newman... He seems like a player that would be very entertaining to have on the roster. And I think he'll be good, which helps.

He actually gives me a bit of a Trent Strickland vibe.

Right now, the worst case scenario for this class looks like Wright, Laszewski, and Newman. That's a much higher floor than we had just a few years ago.

It's kinda weird that Laszewski has offers frm Wake, Miami, the real USC, Texas, Baylor, Villanova and others and isn't in the Top 100.

Laszewski also has four Wake coaches following him on Twitter. That is unusual. So either his primary recruiter was shuffled because of the staff turnover (very possible) or he is a higher priority recruit that is much closer to a commitment than I would have assumed.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18- '18 PG Sharone Wright, Jr. commits to Wake!

It's not often you get a chance at a player who is prematurely balding and has an Afro, kinda like Gus williams of the Sonics. Take him based on that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Right now, the worst case scenario for this class looks like Wright, Laszewski, and Newman. That's a much higher floor than we had just a few years ago.

Laszewski's staying up north. All signs point to him staying in the New England/Mid Atlantic region based on recent articles. I'd take a class of Wright, Newman, Hoard/Mucius, and a guy like Tyrese Samuel. Landing both Hoard and Mucius would be tough given competition and the fact that neither is deciding til August/September. Wiggins is going elsewhere

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"Recruitment: USC, Wake Forest, Villanova, Harvard, Princeton, Providence and St. Joe’s are in the mix.

His day: Laszewski is known for his ability to stretch defenses as a shooter, but it was activity playing in the paint that was more impressive on Friday night. He still showed off his perimeter jumper too, but his willingness to become a more complete “stretch four” type player will only help his stock going forward.

Prediction: It’s going to be hard to pry him away from the northeast. Several coaches from schools located in the area were in attendance on Friday night. It appears likely he won’t be going too far away from where he plays high school ball to play at the next level."

Back